PDA

View Full Version : After market diaphragms, a good deal or not?

diamondsouled
11-21-2018, 11:43 AM
Need to pick up an 8 ohm diaphragm for a JBL 2441 driver. A friend kindly lent me a pair with lens to try out in my system but when I went to check ohmage one came in at 7.6 and the other at 14.7. Oddly the diaphragm was labeled as being 16 ohm. Go figure must have been a Friday at Radian.

Have looked around for a single 8 ohm but the prices are all over the place.

Are the after market ones coming out of China any good? $45 US for a pair seems too good to be true but they sure look great. Anyone have experience with these after market units?

Thanks

Larry

Don C
11-21-2018, 02:02 PM
When the genuine parts are so reasonable, why bother with aftermarket?
https://reconingspeakers.com/product/jbl-2441-d16r2441-diaphragm/

Earl K
11-21-2018, 02:12 PM
Need to pick up an 8 ohm diaphragm for a JBL 2441 driver. A friend kindly lent me a pair with lens to try out in my system but when I went to check ohmage one came in at 7.6 and the other at 14.7. Oddly the diaphragm was labeled as being 16 ohm. Go figure must have been a Friday at Radian.

Have looked around for a single 8 ohm but the prices are all over the place.

Are the after market ones coming out of China any good? $45 US for a pair seems too good to be true but they sure look great. Anyone have experience with these after market units?

Thanks

Larry

I'm pretty confident that JBL never made a 4" aluminum-domed diaphragm ( yes the titanium variety came in 8 ohms and has a low dcr of about 4-5 ohms > and will have a green dot of nail polish on the diaphragms positive connector ) .

All bona-fide JBL 2441's are labeled 16 ohm.

JBL's ( labeled 16 ohm ) large diaphragm drivers typically have a DCR that measures around 8-9 ohms ( IME ) and will have a red dot of nail polish on the frams positive connector.

Your diaphragm that measures 14.7 is either a cooked JBL diaphragm or it's an aftermarket.

In all my years at this forum no-one has ever provided any proof that buying a Chinese after-market diaphragm was a smart move ( JBL or Radian are the only 2 choices I would recommend) .

:)

Mannermusic
11-21-2018, 02:50 PM
I'm pretty confident that JBL never made a 4" aluminum domed diaphragm ( yes the titanium variety came in 8 ohms and has a low dcr of about 4-5 ohms > and will have a green dot of nail polish on the diaphragms positive connector ) .

All bona-fide JBL 2441's are labeled 16 ohm.

JBL's ( labeled 16 ohm ) large diaphragm drivers typically have a DCR that measures around 8-9 ohms ( IME ) and will have a red dot of nail polish on the frams positive connector.

Your diaphragm that measures 14.7 is either a cooked JBL diaphragm or it's an aftermarket.

In all my years at this forum no-one has ever provided any proof that buying a Chinese after-market diaphragm was a smart move ( JBL or Radian are the only 2 choices I would recommend) .

:)

+1. Replaced old 375 (original) diaphragms a year or so ago with 2441. Excellent - would never really consider anything else.