PDA

View Full Version : Jbl s4700

Vahe Sahakian
10-31-2018, 10:09 AM
Seeking opinions on JBL S4700 for two channel stereo, never seen one of these in person but from the looks they look fairly similar to more expensive K2 speakers.
Love to hear from owners of these speakers.
My main speakers are DIY 4350 and if I eventually get a pair of S4700 they will serve as my second system.

Earl K
10-31-2018, 12:05 PM
Dave72 ( from Las Vegas ),was the only LHF member that I remember having a pair ( though he recently passed away ).

He loved his S4700's dearly and would argue ( balls to the wall ) with whomever he felt might be slighting his valued speakers ( no matter who had taken the bully pulpit ).

That sort of passion is hard to ignore ( and generally tells me something quite authentic ).

My Perspective ? ( or > words of encouragement )

The compression driver is smaller sized, and is arguably closer to the older Altec 802/902 diaphragm types > which makes it more of an alto-voiced driver ( rather than the "tenor-sized" more expensive & larger brethren > as found in the 4365 ).

Even the designer ( was reputed to have said that ), it was an easy design to bring into fruition ( or something like that ).

IOW, a 1.75" diaphragmed compression driver ( driving a big horn ) when mated with a very responsive 15" woofer ( like the 2216nd ), is a very natural sounding match-up, that typically pleases the ears ( think of the Model-19 as the Altec equivalent from decades gone by ).

I consider the S4700, truly a modern descendant of the ancient Lansing Iconic.

Here's hoping that some of my blather helps .

:)

PS1; Remember, if at all possible, listen to a pair before buying.

PS2; Some S4700 "shout-out". (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?36097-JBL-S4700-have-come-ALIVE!!!)

jpw retired
10-31-2018, 04:17 PM
Hello there, I was a JBL dealer (now retired) for decades. As you know the configuration of the two speakers is similar, both three ways with 15 inch woofers and a horn compression driver two way top end in about the same sized enclosures. The K2's beryllium compression drivers will give a more detailed and transparent midrange and a smoother more extended treble. Although the woofers used are not the same model the bass is fairly close in performance in terms of balance and low frequency extension. The 2216 woofer in the S4700 perhaps has a bit more punch and dynamic snap, something it is known for. Imaging effect is similar with a nod to the K2 which has a bigger more open overall presentation. Overall the K2 is the better speaker but probably not the better value. Comparing them in terms of pricing, whether retail, street price new or used, the K2 will be close to three times more expensive. Both speakers require high quality electronics to sound their best, but the beryllium drivers in the K2 will reveal any shortcomings more ruthlessly. So take no shortcuts here if you choose K2's, which means spending more money unless you already have real good amps etc. My former store has a demo pair of S4700's available at a very attractive price. If you are interested PM me.

martin_wu99
10-31-2018, 09:32 PM
Seeking opinions on JBL S4700 for two channel stereo, never seen one of these in person but from the looks they look fairly similar to more expensive K2 speakers.
Love to hear from owners of these speakers.
My main speakers are DIY 4350 and if I eventually get a pair of S4700 they will serve as my second system.
G.T have said that S4700 is more musical than 4365.
I think S4700 is a bigger 4429,because S4700 has the same UHF and middle as 4429 :D,it is has nothing to do with K2:blink:

Titanium Dome
11-01-2018, 09:09 PM
The S4700 has 1.75"Ti and .75" Ti drivers. Not sure which K2 is being discussed: The K2 S9800 has 3" Be and 1" Be, and the K2 S9900 has 4" Mg and 1' Be.

bubbleboy76
11-06-2018, 02:18 PM
I have heard S4700 on a hifi-fair in a very large room with top-shelf Levinson electronics. One of the best systems I have heard.
This experience made me sell all my previous stuff and go JBL. I ended up buying 4365 though.

martin_wu99
11-07-2018, 03:35 AM
I have heard S4700 on a hifi-fair in a very large room with top-shelf Levinson electronics. One of the best systems I have heard.
This experience made me sell all my previous stuff and go JBL. I ended up buying 4365 though.
What's your previous stuff?you should buy S9900,even better than DD67000:D

jpw retired
11-07-2018, 09:04 PM
Listening taste, budget and available space all factor into the decision. So there is never a definitive right or wrong for all circumstances. When comparing K2 S9900 with the DD-67000, in my experience on the sales floor, few would choose the K2 when they are only $10k apart at current used prices, unless they don't have the room for the larger Everest. Most people that have the financial where with all to spend $20k on a set of speakers will spend $30k for what is a very large upgrade to most peoples ears. Plus they get JBL's top of the line model.

martin_wu99
11-08-2018, 09:48 PM
Listening taste, budget and available space all factor into the decision. So there is never a definitive right or wrong for all circumstances. When comparing K2 S9900 with the DD-67000, in my experience on the sales floor, few would choose the K2 when they are only $10k apart at current used prices, unless they don't have the room for the larger Everest. Most people that have the financial where with all to spend $20k on a set of speakers will spend $30k for what is a very large upgrade to most peoples ears. Plus they get JBL's top of the line model.

The price difference is not so big between k2 S9900 and DD67000 in Chinese second hand market,one important reason is that S9900 is easy to driver

ngccglp
11-09-2018, 03:08 PM

Agree totally.

Grizzog
11-25-2018, 07:50 AM
I've got the S3900.

Although not the same, they have a similar mid and high setup. They are some of the best speakers I've ever heard and are very smooth. They have all the JBL dynamics without any horn coloration. Very rich sound that makes voices/instruments sound real. I also have a pair of Altec 19, so I'm no stranger to the Lansing sound.