PDA

View Full Version : First post, seeking advice on 1217-1290 LE175

Neil M
10-06-2018, 06:54 AM
New member here, but I have been a visitor on the site for years, as JBL’s have always been my favorite speakers. Last week I obtained my dream speakers, a pair of C38 with the 001 load. They sound great, but I can hear a noticeable lower sound output on one 1217-1290 LE175 driver. I switched the N1200 crossovers on each cabinet eliminate an issue with those, and the problem persisted, so I believe I have narrowed it down to the driver. My question is..does this seem like it could be a diaphragm issue, and if so, can anyone tell me the correct one to order, and also, would it be a “doable” job for a “willing to try” novice? I can do speaker re-foam, but have never delved further. I will try and attach pictures of the meter reading I obtained as well. Thanks so much in advance! These sound so good as-is..very excited to make them perfect!

Mr. Widget
10-07-2018, 09:04 PM
Welcome to Lansing Heritage!

It definitely sounds like you'll need to replace your diaphragm and probably replacing both will be your best bet. With great care you should be able to handle the task, but having it done professionally is never a bad choice.

Unfortunately the correct diaphragms have been NLA for years and both subsequent aluminum replacements from JBL are now NLA too.

I'm not sure what will give you the "best" sound or the best bang for the buck, but here are a couple of alternative choices for you: https://reconingspeakers.com/product/jbl-2420-d16r2421-diaphragm/

Good Luck!

Widget

Neil M
10-08-2018, 05:10 PM
Thanks so much for your reply. I will follow through on this!

Welcome to Lansing Heritage!

It definitely sounds like you'll need to replace your diaphragm and probably replacing both will be your best bet. With great care you should be able to handle the task, but having it done professionally is never a bad choice.

Unfortunately the correct diaphragms have been NLA for years and both subsequent aluminum replacements from JBL are now NLA too.

I'm not sure what will give you the "best" sound or the best bang for the buck, but here are a couple of alternative choices for you: https://reconingspeakers.com/product/jbl-2420-d16r2421-diaphragm/

Good Luck!

Widget