PDA

View Full Version : Jbl l100 classic

NEWYORKER
10-01-2018, 08:16 PM
I recently read of JBL introducing an updated version L 100 (Classic) speaker in the Spring of 2018 for about $4000. Any members have any first hand reviews/thoughts or experience with the latest L 100? How does it compare to the Century Gold?

hjames
10-02-2018, 03:39 PM
I recently read of JBL introducing an updated version L 100 (Classic) speaker in the Spring of 2018 for about $4000. Any members have any first hand reviews/thoughts or experience with the latest L 100? How does it compare to the Century Gold?

No flames meant, but, have they actually gone into the retail/sales stream yet?
I saw promo/marketing info, but have not heard anyone here or on another forum had actually bought a pair yet ...

kfz03110
10-02-2018, 07:12 PM
music direct.com

NEWYORKER
10-02-2018, 07:50 PM
I saw promo/marketing info, but have not heard anyone here or on another forum had actually bought a pair yet ...

Audio Inpact here in San Diego is taking orders on the L100 Classic for customers currently.

10-10-2018, 02:20 PM
Ordered a pair of L100 Classics this morning and they're backordered already. Looks like JBL underestimated the number of Baby Boomers with fond memories and more dollars than sense!

Mr. Widget
10-10-2018, 07:55 PM
Ordered a pair of L100 Classics this morning and they're backordered already. Looks like JBL underestimated the number of Baby Boomers with fond memories and more dollars than sense!Well put.
Please give us a report when you get them. I'm sure there are more than a handful of us interested in your findings! :bouncy:

Widget

pos
10-11-2018, 01:39 AM
That woofer has me curious! I would love to see the EDS...

svollmer
10-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Saw them at RMAF last weekend, but they weren't playing them when I was in the Harman room. My 20 year old son absolutely LOVED the look!

hjames
10-13-2018, 04:35 PM

Again, I know they are for sale, and I am not being snarky,
but does anyone here actually have a pair playing in their home?
have you taken delivery of them in a real world place?

10-17-2018, 08:22 AM
Well put.
Please give us a report when you get them. I'm sure there are more than a handful of us interested in your findings! :bouncy:

Widget

JBL quotes a 30-60 day backorder as of October 15; as soon as they're here and broken in, I'll weigh in. I sold JBL Pro gear in the 1970's-80's and owned 4310/4311/4315/4425 monitors for home use, so I have a frame of reference, and I guess I'm a poster child for Harman's marketing team. I currently use ATC SCM20 passive studio monitors, which are unflinchingly accurate, but not much fun.

Although I haven't heard the L100 Classics, I have a trusted friend who heard them in Munich and reports they don't sound like the originals, which is all I need to know. Now I need to find a home for my ATCs and figure out a way to keep the L100 grilles from becoming cat scratching posts!

NEWYORKER
10-17-2018, 03:59 PM
JBL quotes a 30-60 day backorder as of October 15; as soon as they're here and broken in, I'll weigh in. I sold JBL Pro gear in the 1970's-80's and owned 4310/4311/4315/4425 monitors for home use, so I have a frame of reference, and I guess I'm a poster child for Harman's marketing team. I currently use ATC SCM20 passive studio monitors, which are unflinchingly accurate, but not much fun.

Although I haven't heard the L100 Classics, I have a trusted friend who heard them in Munich and reports they don't sound like the originals, which is all I need to know. Now I need to find a home for my ATCs and figure out a way to keep the L100 grilles from becoming cat scratching posts!

I read a customer review on Music Direct.com and it was a 5 star rave review! He ordered the JBL metal speaker stands with his JBL L100 Classics as well. Music Direct.com has posted a two to three week order status on shipping. Last night there was also a pair of L100 Classics listed on E-Bay for $3300.00 as well. I just placed the L100 Classics on my bucket list.

10-18-2018, 05:51 PM
I read a customer review on Music Direct.com and it was a 5 star rave review! He ordered the JBL metal speaker stands with his JBL L100 Classics as well. Music Direct.com has posted a two to three week order status on shipping. Last night there was also a pair of L100 Classics listed on E-Bay for $3300.00 as well. I just placed the L100 Classics on my bucket list.

From the Absolute Sound, where JBL is seldom seen, or heard: (http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/the-2018-munich-high-end-show-loudspeakers-under-20k/)

JBL L100 Classic
This three-way ($4k/pr.) from JBL made its European premier in Munich. Its inclusion on this list may come as a surprise, since it does not have a neutral frequency balance and has some box colorations, but it sure is a lot of fun! Driven by Mark Levinson electronics and turntable system, it makes you think you’re listening to the PA during a live concert. One of its most remarkable characteristics is the ability to reproduce the power of a big band or heavy metal rock group without compression. This speaker is a big improvement over the iconic L100 with better imaging and bass articulation and extension. It has lots of presence and punch, and it seems like a great party speaker. (It’s difficult not to get up and dance while listening!) Stands are optional.

Valentin
10-19-2018, 02:53 PM
Again, I know they are for sale, and I am not being snarky,
but does anyone here actually have a pair playing in their home?
have you taken delivery of them in a real world place?

nice sounding speaker with good imageing and integration
nice dinamics

Valentin
10-19-2018, 02:56 PM

sorry for the light

Valentin
10-19-2018, 02:58 PM

New improved woofer

Ed Zeppeli
10-20-2018, 07:54 PM
I like that the 1200fe is seeing new light.

...and I hope that means they will become more available as a stand-alone piece.

Thanks for the photos.

Warren

Chas
10-21-2018, 04:10 AM
I wonder if Bo has a pair on order?:D:D;)

pos
10-21-2018, 04:19 AM
I like that the 1200fe is seeing new light.
That woofer appears to be an evolution of the 1200Fe

Based on the same size "1200 FE series unit" used for studio monitors "4428", "4429", and "4312 SE" etc., the newly developed Woofer unit for the 300 mm bass range "JW 300 PW - 8" Things aimed at. Review and optimize each component of the magnetic circuit to improve efficiency, reduce induced inductance and improve nonlinearity of operation. JBL proprietary SFG Magnetic Circuit Short Ring is also optimized using the latest analytical techniques to form a stricter target magnetic field.

johnlcnm
10-21-2018, 09:04 AM
That woofer has me curious! I would love to see the EDS...
Not all of the files, hopefully the pertinent.

pos
10-21-2018, 09:14 AM
Thank you but that is not a 1200Fe, but a JW 300 PW - 8

macaroonie
10-21-2018, 03:24 PM
I'm wondering about the value for money offered by the L100 reissue.

For example you can have a pair of these for $3200 ish

Thats http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/portable-market/srx800-series/srx835p#.W8z-OBFRdxA which btw has a DSP amp thingy in the back

That leaves you $800 to pay a wood guy to pop some veneer on them for high WAF.

SEAWOLF97
10-21-2018, 03:58 PM

I was thinking the same thing Mac ... on my own (having never heard the L100-2's) , for that much $$'s..think I could do as good if not better , BUT

nostalgia ain't cheap ;)

Mr. Widget
10-21-2018, 04:22 PM

Thats http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/portable-market/srx800-series/srx835p#.W8z-OBFRdxA which btw has a DSP amp thingy in the back

That leaves you $800 to pay a wood guy to pop some veneer on them for high WAF.I don’t think that’s the point.

I know I’d rather have the possibly over priced speakers in my living room.

Widget

macaroonie
10-21-2018, 04:34 PM
Tom , you got it in one. If they can make the SRX835 with loads of tech in it and have it on the market for $3200 then the relatively simple L100 reissue should be at most the same price. With modern manufacturing methods on all the bits and bobs
that should be eminently achievable , with plenty of gravy too.
Marketing has placed these well past the knee of the price elasticity curve hoping that , as Tom posits , nostalgia will seal the deal.
Lets see what we can get away with fella's. Classic Harman strategy , the price will be lower by a good deal in a year or two.

martin_wu99
10-21-2018, 09:10 PM

That leaves you $800 to pay a wood guy to pop some veneer on them for high WAF.
Could this one be moved in the house and for HiFi usage?:blink::confused:

SEAWOLF97
10-22-2018, 08:48 AM
From the Absolute Sound, where JBL is seldom seen, or heard: (http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/the-2018-munich-high-end-show-loudspeakers-under-20k/)This speaker is a big improvement over the iconic L100 with better imaging and bass articulation and extension.

I keep reading abt how a narrow baffle improves imaging ?

BUT here is a new/old L100 with the much the same cabinet that was designed in 1971 ?

14.5 inches wide.

oh, and JBL says it's 4 Ohms

https://www.jblsynthesis.com/productdetail/l100-classic.html

AmericanPie
10-22-2018, 12:05 PM
This is a fantastic marketing idea on JBL's part and I love what I'm seeing. I still have four L100s I bought new in the early '70s and they're all in excellent shape (with new Quadrex grilles); maybe I'll finally have a sale and make room for a pair of the new Classics.

Ian Mackenzie
10-22-2018, 12:33 PM

BUT here is a new/old L100 with the much the same cabinet that was designed in 1971 ?

14.5 inches wide.

oh, and JBL says it's 4 Ohms

https://www.jblsynthesis.com/productdetail/l100-classic.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BrTQiGiN-ro
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SDIeKwB7RS0

rusty jefferson
10-22-2018, 05:25 PM
From the Absolute Sound, ...
This speaker is a big improvement over the iconic L100 with better imaging and bass articulation and extension. It has lots of presence and punch, and it seems like a great party speaker.....

14.5 inches wide.....

Seawolf, the comparison here related to image quality is between the new L-100 and the old model.

As mentioned in the imaging thread recently many things can effect imaging including the baffle width/shape. As described in the YouTube videos Ian linked, the new driver alignment and better quality crossovers are also important factors. Another likely factor is more closely matched dispersion at the crossover points. The old L-100 crossed at about 1500hz and 6khz. The new L-100 is crossed at 450hz and 3.5khz. Those lower points should be significantly reducing beaming from the woofer and midrange. Beaming can hurt image quality by reducing the off axis response. Good off axis response is another factor that improves imaging. (Your Ohm/Walsh speakers being omnidirectional have great off axis response and is the reason they image so well, acknowledging they have other faults.)

I don't doubt the new L-100 images much better than the older version.

Ian Mackenzie
10-23-2018, 03:57 PM
If you listen to the You tube interviews JBLs intentions are clear.

From the product perspective it was an opportunity to justify making the L100 a bit better but otherwise it’s a rerelease of the L100. It’s not a new design or product line like the Array Series that are known for imaging capabilities. They stretched the enclosure a bit for the vertical driver alignment but kept the proportions. That allowed beefing up the bass a bit making it a great party loudspeaker at home. The tweeter and mid range drivers are a bit better and it has a better crossover network. But otherwise it’s a freshen up and rerelease of a very successful loudspeaker.

l think what is interesting is they got somebody with industry experience from outside JBL to get the new offer to market but who also had prior exposure and familiarity with JBLs legacy lines like the 4313 and 4312. That all makes sense and l hope it all goes well for them.

sonofagun
10-23-2018, 05:44 PM
For almost a year now, I have had thought of the same idea - re-introducing an updated version of the original with better components and performance. IF I had gotten the support/help I've been trying to get for years now (:help:), I could have beaten them to the ...:banghead:.

I still could sell an improved version (maybe with an updated foam grille design also) for a lot less than $4k. IF anyone's interested. :blink:

martin_wu99
10-23-2018, 07:03 PM
For almost a year now, I have had thought of the same idea - re-introducing an updated version of the original with better components and performance. IF I had gotten the support/help I've been trying to get for years now (:help:), I could have beaten them to the ...:banghead:.

I still could sell an improved version (maybe with an updated foam grille design also) for a lot less than $4k. IF anyone's interested. :blink:
Sounds pretty good,expecting for your version!:applaud:

sonofagun
10-25-2018, 06:49 AM
I will need some help - such as others willing to pre-order a set or more. Price estimate from $1200-2000/set.

Also open to some suggestions for some system components or kit* that will work in a similar sized cabinet. I intend a better cabinet also - material and construction wise.

*Not necessarily JBL stuff either - there are plenty of modern day components from many other suppliers out there that offer great performance at excellent price points.

youngho
11-10-2018, 11:55 AM
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649475189-jbl-synthesis-l100-classic-w-stands-new/

Triumph Don
11-10-2018, 12:30 PM
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649475189-jbl-synthesis-l100-classic-w-stands-new/

$3000? Wow.

sonofagun
11-13-2018, 04:51 AM

What? No one here gets what I'm saying? With just a little help from someone, we could do VERY well ($$$) in the speaker market* - beats me why I get no help or interest.

*and other markets as well

DES-1
11-13-2018, 06:20 AM
What? No one here gets what I'm saying? With just a little help from someone, we could do VERY well ($$$) in the speaker market - beats me why I get no help or interest.

If it's such a sure-fire business why not keep all the profit for yourself, build a prototype unit and sell, then plow the profits back into manufacturing the 2nd and third set. That would be a very low cost way to get started.

I don't think you can possibly siphon off any L100 customers because they are buying the name and reputation as much as the speaker. Your clone speakers may be better built and may sound better, but it is not authentic JBL.

If this type of business appeals to you, you might consider starting a made-to-order speaker business and advertise it. I used such a business to get my clone enclosures made last winter. But, don't underestimate the learning curve, any such business will take you years to bootstrap into a success.

sonofagun
11-13-2018, 06:43 AM
If it's such a sure-fire business why not keep all the profit for yourself, build a prototype unit and sell, then plow the profits back into manufacturing the 2nd and third set. That would be a very low cost way to get started.

I don't think you can possibly siphon off any L100 customers because they are buying the name and reputation as much as the speaker. Your clone speakers may be better built and may sound better, but it is not authentic JBL.

If this type of business appeals to you, you might consider starting a made-to-order speaker business and advertise it. I used such a business to get my clone enclosures made last winter. But, don't underestimate the learning curve, any such business will take you years to bootstrap into a success.

Because there's just so much one person (old and with little $$ to spare from just paying bills enough to barely live) can do. Frustrating having multiple unique product and business ideas (one already in demand) that could collectively create a thriving large scale business, but unable to implement by oneself.

"But, don't underestimate the learning curve, any such business will take you years to bootstrap into a success."

What do you think I've been trying to do for over 40 years now? :banghead:

DES-1
11-13-2018, 08:18 AM
What do you think I've been trying to do for over 40 years now? :banghead:

40 years? If you haven't done it successfully by now, maybe it's time to move on and enjoy other pursuits. If you are over 65, it's probably time regardless! Plenty of ways to enjoy life without running a business. Best of luck to you.

sonofagun
11-13-2018, 10:39 AM
"Plenty of ways to enjoy life without running a business."

Like what? You have a suggestion on how I can live on $500/mo SS income? Pretty cold living on the street half of the year here in Michigan.

I'm supposed to give up on 40 + years of hard work trying to build a business that has customers worldwide ordering from me?

That has sold and shipped thousands of unique products with positive feedback and glowing comments?

"Best of luck to you."

I've heard that too many times already.

Please no more advice - serious inquiries/PMs from interested parties only.

BMWCCA
11-13-2018, 03:09 PM
40 years? If you are over 65, it's probably time regardless!
Whoa! I think I resent that remark . . . and all it assumes. ;)

DES-1
11-13-2018, 05:02 PM
Whoa! I think I resent that remark . . . and all it assumes. ;)

I suspect more than a few of us are past that milestone. It was meant as a general reference to near retirement age. If you're still going great guns with your career, that's fantastic :thmbsup: I merely suggest that the clock is ticking down and if one avenue closes for a person, try something else that won't frustrate you and where you can find some peace. But you know that...

SEAWOLF97
11-14-2018, 08:08 AM
The old L-100 crossed at about 1500hz and 6khz. The new L-100 is crossed at 450hz and 3.5khz.

AFAIR; the lower point on the old one is a bit moot as the LF runs FULL RANGE and overlaps a lot with the mid.

. They stretched the enclosure a bit for the vertical driver alignment but kept the proportions. That allowed beefing up the bass a bit making it a great party loudspeaker at home. The tweeter and mid range drivers are a bit better and it has a better crossover network. But otherwise it’s a freshen up and rerelease of a very successful loudspeaker.

lots of bits there, may not add up to a full byte (bite ?? :dont-know:) or even 4K

If you are over 65, it's probably time regardless! Plenty of ways to enjoy life without running a business. Best of luck to you.

About to pass 69. Retired at 52. Golden years, One of the best times of my life (except for aches & pains :eek:)

BMWCCA
11-14-2018, 05:57 PM
Anyone who is expecting any similarity to the original L100 beyond the superficial appearance is probably not really dealing with reality. I fully expect a vastly improved sound quality and performance based on innovations over the last 50-years and Chris Hagen's involvement in the process. Doesn't mean one couldn't or shouldn't still enjoy the old "fake-but-fun" icons. :dont-know:

sonofagun
11-21-2018, 08:10 AM
"Plenty of ways to enjoy life without running a business."

Like what? You have a suggestion on how I can live on $500/mo SS income? Pretty cold living on the street half of the year here in Michigan.

I'm supposed to give up on 40 + years of hard work trying to build a business that has customers worldwide ordering from me?

That has sold and shipped thousands of unique products with positive feedback and glowing comments?

"Best of luck to you."

I've heard that too many times already.

Please no more advice - serious inquiries/PMs from interested parties only.

So for 40+ years now, I have focused on (and was the first*) helping preserve and restore the legacy of Jim Lansing thru my products so I would think someone (anyone?) on this site would be interested in becoming involved in helping me continue and greatly expand this business (being very profitable for all**).
But I get nothing - not even an exploratory inquiry to find out details. WT...:confused:

*Now with copycats who have taken thousands of $$ of work from me.

**It is a VERY profitable business - now I am inviting someone/others on board to fully expand this to its full potential. Needs more than one person (handicapped when it comes to online marketing and sales).

http://foamspeakergrilles.com/latest_news

Mainly will appreciate responses (if any) by PM only or at least constructive ones.

11-27-2018, 10:22 AM
I received my L100 Classics speakers last week. They're not fully broken in, but a few initial observations:

They are party speakers, in every good way. If there wasn't a party going on when you fire them up, there will be one soon.
They seem enormous by 21st century standards.
The tweeter is pretty sweet for a metal dome (and it still looks like a Revel-sourced driver).
Mids are dynamic and seem to be smoothing out over time.
Bass is prodigious, and unlike the original L100, it goes down into the low 40's with authority, if not total control. I'm using ancient wooden stands, which don't help bass. I'll probably have Sound Anchors build stands similar to what they make for Harbeth 40's. It's an expensive solution, but the stock stands only raise the speaker 8" off the floor, and I'm not finding commercially available 12-14" stands that can support 60lb speakers with a big footprint.
One grille fits like a glove; the other requires a fist. Since the speakers sound better without a foam pillow in front of them, and the grilles have to be off to adjust the 'tone controls', but the only reason you got away with buying them was because of their looks, I wish Harman had opted for magnetic fasteners. I wonder how many owners will end up with rattling grilles that require chewing gum to keep them secured--just like the originals.
They image better than I expected. Obviously, JBL didn't think we'd care, since they didn't opt to provide L & R mirrored speakers, but from 8 feet away, it's OK.
One week in, and the cats haven't started using them as scratching posts. It's only a matter of time, though. Maybe I should buy a pair of old Magnepans to keep the little dears distracted.

I'll post more after they're broken in, but I'm pleased so far. They seem to be what every L100 wanted to be back when we didn't know any better.

Earl K
11-27-2018, 10:26 AM
Very Cool!

Thanks for posting your experiences!

:)

NEWYORKER
11-27-2018, 10:56 AM
I received my L100 Classics speakers last week. They're not fully broken in, but a few initial observations:

They are party speakers, in every good way. If there wasn't a party going on when you fire them up, there will be one soon.
They seem enormous by 21st century standards.
The tweeter is pretty sweet for a metal dome (and it still looks like a Revel-sourced driver).
Mids are dynamic and seem to be smoothing out over time.
Bass is prodigious, and unlike the original L100, it goes down into the low 40's with authority, if not total control. I'm using ancient wooden stands, which don't help bass. I'll probably have Sound Anchors build stands similar to what they make for Harbeth 40's. It's an expensive solution, but the stock stands only raise the speaker 8" off the floor, and I'm not finding commercially available 12-14" stands that can support 60lb speakers with a big footprint.
One grille fits like a glove; the other requires a fist. Since the speakers sound better without a foam pillow in front of them, and the grilles have to be off to adjust the 'tone controls', but the only reason you got away with buying them was because of their looks, I wish Harman had opted for magnetic fasteners. I wonder how many owners will end up with rattling grilles that require chewing gum to keep them secured--just like the originals.
They image better than I expected. Obviously, JBL didn't think we'd care, since they didn't opt to provide L & R mirrored speakers, but from 8 feet away, it's OK.
One week in, and the cats haven't started using them as scratching posts. It's only a matter of time, though. Maybe I should buy a pair of old Magnepans to keep the little dears distracted.

I'll post more after they're broken in, but I'm pleased so far. They seem to be what every L100 wanted to be back when we didn't know any better.

Great review! Good luck with distracting the cats. All the speaker grills of my three sets of JBLs were continually visited over the years by our cat. Where were your L100 Classics manufactured? I saw some photos with "Made in Indonesia". Just pondering now based on your review on now buying a set of the JBL L100 Classics or a set of JBL 4429s. Sounds like the JBL L100 Classics will allow us to relive our youth as we want to remember it.

sonofagun
11-27-2018, 11:31 AM
MY version of this speaker (if I'd get any help!) would not have that problematic wood grille frame. This would simplify manufacture and lower the costs as well as further minimizing any edge diffraction or spurious rattles. Foam grille would attach directly with Velcro. Higher grade cabinet construction and likely available in other wood finishes besides walnut.

11-28-2018, 02:56 PM
Great review! Good luck with distracting the cats. All the speaker grills of my three sets of JBLs were continually visited over the years by our cat. Where were your L100 Classics manufactured? I saw some photos with "Made in Indonesia". Just pondering now based on your review on now buying a set of the JBL L100 Classics or a set of JBL 4429s. Sounds like the JBL L100 Classics will allow us to relive our youth as we want to remember it.

The L100 Classic is indeed Indonesian. Some Revel speakers come from there, I believe, so maybe they're built in the same facility. The 4429 looks cool but L100s were at the top of my budget, and my wife loves how they look. After putting up with the industrial look of 4425, LSR28P, and ATC SCM20 studio monitors over the past 25 years, she deserves a break. The L100's bass may be tuned more for American tastes than the 4429's, but I've never heard them.

I got pricing on Sound Anchor stands for L100s, from $600-800 plus shipping, depending on whether you choose 3 or 4 post stands. That is a lot of money, but they're made in Florida, so there ya go.

sonofagun
11-28-2018, 03:46 PM
MY version of this speaker (if I'd get any help!) would not have that problematic wood grille frame. This would simplify manufacture and lower the costs as well as further minimizing any edge diffraction or spurious rattles. Foam grille would attach directly with Velcro. Higher grade cabinet construction and likely available in other wood finishes besides walnut.

And made here!!

srm51555
11-28-2018, 04:48 PM
Thank you for posting and congratulations!

gsb001
11-28-2018, 06:02 PM
Me too - thank you for sharing your thoughts.
I especially like your grille frame fit and finish observations.
SB

Mr. Widget
11-28-2018, 06:14 PM
Thank you for posting and congratulations!+1 :bouncy:

Widget

Robh3606
11-28-2018, 07:25 PM
Glad you like them and thanks for posting!

Rob:)

jblnut
11-29-2018, 09:33 AM
Great review - thanks for sharing!

My Salon 2's also say "Made in Indonesia" on the box so I would wager that's the new Harman speaker facility in the East.

jblnut

11-29-2018, 09:56 AM
And made here!!

Step right up, step right up, step right up,
Everyone's a winner, bargains galore
That's right, you too can be the proud owner
Of the quality goes in before the name goes on

JBLCarousel
12-31-2018, 09:18 PM
Anyone who is expecting any similarity to the original L100 beyond the superficial appearance is probably not really dealing with reality. I fully expect a vastly improved sound quality and performance based on innovations over the last 50-years and Chris Hagen's involvement in the process. Doesn't mean one couldn't or shouldn't still enjoy the old "fake-but-fun" icons. :dont-know:
Careful there Phil, I heard the L100 classic surpasses even the JBL 4345s in sound quality...

Ian Mackenzie
12-31-2018, 10:42 PM
That’s interesting because l heard it doesn’t.

BMWCCA
01-01-2019, 05:50 AM
Careful there Phil, I heard the L100 classic surpasses even the JBL 4345s in sound quality...
I'm sure if you buy a pair they'll be the finest speaker ever made. Perhaps you can get Kenji to make a pair for you with synthetic leather surrounds to improve their technology?

sonofagun
01-01-2019, 07:56 AM
How about we start a project to build an updated version of our own*? I'll be glad to supply the grilles.

*and using components from ANY supplier

DES-1
01-01-2019, 09:27 AM
How about we start a project to build an updated version of our own*? I'll be glad to supply the grilles.

*and using components from ANY supplier

I say, go for it! But let's keep this thread about the new L100. I look forward to you starting a proposal and construction thread here (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?47-Lansing-Product-DIY-Forum).

sonofagun
01-01-2019, 09:51 AM
Good grief! I just found this thread: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?5766-Building-My-Own-L100-Cabinets/page2&highlight=L100

where over 13 years ago (post # 29, 2005!) I posted the idea of creating an updated L100 speaker.

SEAWOLF97
02-15-2019, 09:24 AM
https://jblsynthesis.com/productdetail/l100-classic.html?utm_source=JBL/%20L100%20Classic&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=JBL%20L100%20Classic

appears like the spaghetti wood ? certainly not the old L-100 beautiful veneer.
notice logo plate has changed too.. :crying:

Titanium Dome
03-12-2019, 10:10 AM
This came via email today:

https://hometheaterreview.com/jbl-synthesis-l100-classic-reviewed

IMO, he has the right attitude about them. In the comments about his article there are typical troll statements griping about the price and about how many of some other speakers could be purchased for the same or similar money, and a few troll rebukes as well. Hey! If you can get five other speakers and extra gear for less, go for it, even if the result is something that sounds lame AF.

My original pair of L100s cost $546, and the inflation calculator says that's around $3,560 today. $4,000 a pair for L100 Classics seems about right to me, especially for a much improved speaker in a classic package. I wish JBL had a trade-up program! (I could still keep one of my pairs of original L100s.)

SEAWOLF97
03-12-2019, 12:05 PM
It's nice to see that JBL/Consumer/Harmin'/Samsung can still make a good product (when it's not plastic :eek: )

REALLY ?? (from that link)

"In truth, the original L100 was good but far from perfect. It was a 1970s rock-n-roller--dare I say PA speaker in consumer clothing."

AngeloJoseph
05-29-2019, 07:10 PM
Anyone else buy into these? I've heard them a few times now and really enjoyed them. Im in my later 30s and have no nostalgic feelings toward them. Took my wife to AXPONA and these were one of only 3 sets she outwardly got excited about at the show. They were sounding excellent in the Harman room.

Anyway, I don't have a lot of experience with JBL and I guess my question is, how do these compare with other JBLs? Would I be better served going with a different model? Am I paying for the lineage?

Mr. Widget
05-29-2019, 10:33 PM
I have not yet heard the L100 Classics. At $4000 a pair they are not inexpensive, but by all accounts they are a solid performer. While many here have refurbished vintage speakers for far less, if that isn't your thing, buying new is probably the better option.

I personally prefer many of JBL's newer speakers to the vintage speakers for audio performance.

Widget