PDA

View Full Version : JBL L212 square piece that goes under the smoked glass of the B212 Ultrabass

blgtrio
07-13-2018, 03:27 PM
Underneath the smoked glass of the B212 ultrabass sub there is a square shaped piece of material (not sure if it is foam rubber) seems to be somewhat disintegrating and discolored. These speakers were bought new 37 years ago. Can anyone who may have owned or now owns L212's give some insight as to what the material is and where I could go to get it replaced? It still has the JBL badge in the bottom right corner. Looks like a small cut out that the badge presses into. As I mentioned in my post a couple of weeks ago everything else seems to be in pristine condition. I was able to get my 066 tweeter repaired which was unexpected so all is good.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can be of help with this.

kelossus
07-13-2018, 04:36 PM
Underneath the smoked glass of the B212 ultrabass sub there is a square shaped piece of material (not sure if it is foam rubber) seems to be somewhat disintegrating and discolored. These speakers were bought new 37 years ago. Can anyone who may have owned or now owns L212's give some insight as to what the material is and where I could go to get it replaced? It still has the JBL badge in the bottom right corner. Looks like a small cut out that the badge presses into. As I mentioned in my post a couple of weeks ago everything else seems to be in pristine condition. I was able to get my 066 tweeter repaired which was unexpected so all is good.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can be of help with this.

It was just a piece of cardboard or a thin piece of ply painted black. The finish on mine had gone powdery so I cleaned it up and sprayed it black again.

blgtrio
07-13-2018, 07:08 PM
Powdery is a better description instead of disintegrating. Maybe because of its age it feels more like foam rubber. It is very pliable. It was suggested that I try an art store. I'll go there tomorrow.
Thanks for your response.

rdgrimes
07-13-2018, 07:40 PM
My recollection is that it was sort of a "Naugahyde" type material meant to stop the glass from rattling. Leather would do nicely, or some type vinyl.

hjames
07-14-2018, 10:51 AM
Seems to me one of the other models used a similar material under glass - perhaps the L300s?
I've never seen a pristine original pair. Anyway, if my memory of threads in the past is valid,
I thought JBLdog or one of the more long term members got something like the foamboard material
used for picture matting (maybe from Michaels?), and said it was a good substitute.
Any of the original media will be long since powdered out by now!

I don't have an original B212 bass module with my pair of L212s ...

jbl4ever
07-14-2018, 03:53 PM
L65's and like Heather said L300's used it. Michael's and Hobby Lobby have the thick paper stock with felt front. I have used it on the 65's and 300's. Cut it for size and used a good Xacto knife set if you have the emblem of JBL set in it.

blgtrio
07-14-2018, 06:08 PM
Thanks to all of you who replied. I'm going to check a near by art store and the Hobby Lobby here in town on Monday.

:applaud: