PDA

View Full Version : JBL 066 tweeter

blgtrio
06-29-2018, 06:39 PM
Hello, I wanted to see if anyone has a pair or single JBL 066 working tweeters and would be willing to sell to me.
I just acquired a JBL L212 system and one of the tweeters isn't working. I would prefer one that the dome has no dents or discolored. The two tweeters I have look in perfect shape. If no one has any for sale can you recommend a JBL authorized repair facility. I live in Hagerstown Md. about 75 miles from Washington DC or Baltimore.
I tried contacting Subwoof on this forum but he cant receive any messages at this time. I bought some JBL gear from him in the past.

Sure hope someone can help me find a solution.

Thanks to anyone who responds in advance

gdmoore28
06-30-2018, 12:52 PM
These forums get very slow over the weekends. I'll bet somebody will be along next week to help you out.

Have you checked the classifieds in this forum?

GeeDeeemm

Robh3606
06-30-2018, 06:56 PM
The 066's have been without recone kits for quite some time. You may get lucky to find a kit but more likely you will be taking the plunge on e-bay for a replacement

Rob:)

rusty jefferson
06-30-2018, 07:28 PM
......The two tweeters I have look in perfect shape....
Have you verified the non working tweeter is broken? Switched the working tweeter for the non-working one?
Perhaps it's a bad/broken connection in the network?

BMWCCA
07-01-2018, 05:36 AM
Have you verified the non working tweeter is broken? Switched the working tweeter for the non-working one?
Perhaps it's a bad/broken connection in the network?
:thmbsup: or perhaps the ubiquitous corroded or dirty "brilliance" pot? Have you tried working the knob rapidly and repeatedly over its entire range? I'd try this first with the system off, just in case. But certainly swapping the tweeters from side-to-side will answer the question of whether it's the tweeter, or the network/wiring/potentiometer.

Apologies if this is too elementary a suggestion for you or if I missed your mention of already trying this. Good luck!

blgtrio
07-02-2018, 08:07 AM
I owned an L212 system back in 1985 when I lived in California. On 2 occasions I had removed the 066 tweeter when I cooked the driver and had in fixed in Northridge Ca. at the JBL facility.
As I recall the 066 driver came out from behind rather easily once I removed the 3 bolts in the front holding it in place.

Presently I live in Md. I just bought my second L212 system this past week from a gentleman who bought the system new 37 years ago. He never removed any of the tweeters or LE-5 midranges.

The present 066 tweeter doesn't seem to want to budge. I removed the 3 bolts in front. As I look inside the back it appears as if three bolts are securing the tweeter against a square shaped baffle. The bolts appear to be coming front the front of the baffle. I wanted to ask if any of you has owned this system in the past or present have you ever removed one of your 066's and if yes, does the 066 separate from the square piece or does the square piece and 066 come out together since they are screwed together. I want to remove it but don't want to do any damage. I am including some pictures if you look closely you can see 3 of the back end of the bolts that are holding the round driver to the square baffle. There are 6 holes in the back of the driver three of which were removed from the front. I hope I explained this clearly and someone can help me remove the 066 without damaging it. I did hook8164481645 up my amp directly to the tweeter with very little gain and there was no sound.

hjames
07-02-2018, 09:32 AM
I just went to the basement and looked at my 3rd (spare) cabinet- it has a torn-dome 066, but looks just like yours from the inside -
I see 6 threaded shafts (ends of screws) on the back of the driver. 3 hold the driver together, 3 hold the driver against the baffle board.

I did not try to remove it, but if memory serves, you remove the 3 screws visbble on the front panel,
and use a wooden block against the aluminum face, knock it somewhat gently to dislodge it from the old dried paint.
May have to be somewhat persistent if yours has been in place since new.

blgtrio
07-02-2018, 10:54 AM
Hi Heather, I was thinking along those lines but I wanted a second opinion before proceeding. Again I want to thank you for your help with this matter. I read the whole thread on Audio Karma. I'm glad to see you got your 212's up and running and are enjoying them. They definitely image as good any any JBL I've encountered and have such a smooth response. :applaud:

blgtrio
07-02-2018, 11:18 AM
Hey Heather, I used a piece of cloth over the block of wood for extra protection, it took a few good whacks as I went around the perimeter of the driver where the screw holes were located tapping firm but not hard figuring it would loosen evenly. Then a couple of good whacks and I was able to pull on it from behind and it came right out. One more question, do you recommend sending the 066 to Scavenger Sound in Glen Burnie?
Have you had any first hand experience with anyone in the DC or Baltimore area? :banghead:

rusty jefferson
07-02-2018, 12:20 PM
... One more question, do you recommend sending the 066 to Scavenger Sound in Glen Burnie?
Have you had any first hand experience with anyone in the DC or Baltimore area? :banghead:
As Rob mentioned earlier, there are no replacement parts available for this tweeter. Depending on the problem, it may be possible to repair it. John, at Scavenger Sound is a great technician and would be worth contacting to see if he can offer any help/advise. He is a member here also.

I seem to remember someone creating a repair thread about taking these apart to replace the foam and repair it?

blgtrio
07-02-2018, 12:28 PM
Much appreciated Rusty. Is there any other replacement diaphragm kit available? :)

grumpy
07-02-2018, 12:56 PM
I seem to remember someone creating a repair thread about taking these apart to replace the foam and repair it?

044 type, but the idea is similar. http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?29325-044Ti-questions-Help-needed
Could be a broken lead-in wire (if lucky) and not it the voice coil itself.

I'll look and see if I have a serviceable/spare 066 driver tucked away (may be
aluminum coated or the later silver paint unit... I've had both).

SEAWOLF97
07-02-2018, 01:08 PM

Here is the thread on replacing foam on 044Ti's. Near the end, I opened an 066, but do NOT recall
any foam in there.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?29325-044Ti-questions-Help-needed&highlight=044ti+help

blgtrio
07-02-2018, 01:25 PM
044 type, but the idea is similar. http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?29325-044Ti-questions-Help-needed
Could be a broken lead-in wire (if lucky) and not it the voice coil itself.

I'll look and see if I have a serviceable/spare 066 driver tucked away (may be
aluminum coated or the later silver paint unit... I've had both).

Thanks grumpy. I sure hope you have one . I've been striking out on every other account.

grumpy
07-05-2018, 09:42 PM
Found ‘em.

None are what I’d call mint, but they all are fairly clean and pass signal equally (to my ear).

If you need perfect, I’d wait and continue to look for one with a very clean/working dome, but not worry about the face (as you or a shop might be able to transplant the good dome into your pristine motor), they do still pop up now and then.

One of the domes in the pic has some missing aluminum in spots (so it’s more likely to be one with deposited aluminum vs the later/painted units).

Don't feel obliged to make an offer on one unless you really want to... I was just happy to find them and remembered how many there were :) Happy to take more pics.

blgtrio
07-07-2018, 07:34 AM
I wanted to send a special shout out to Heather James. It was her L212 story on AK that came to my rescue. Heather's journey getting her JBL L212's from pretty poor condition to all drivers working as they should was documented on AK. I read all 7 pages and she mentioned a JBL audio Guru John at Scavenger Sound in Glen Burnie, Md. I took my broken tweeter to John and he meticulously took it apart and was able to get it back to working properly. I couldn't be happier.

The best part of my trip was when John invited me to walk from his repair shop right next door to his home where I was treated to seeing his Industrial model Paragon and a beautiful pair of Mahogany Hartsfieds.

hjames
07-07-2018, 10:39 AM
I wanted to send a special shout out to Heather James. It was her L212 story on AK that came to my rescue. Heather's journey getting her JBL L212's from pretty poor condition to all drivers working as they should was documented on AK. I read all 7 pages and she mentioned a JBL audio Guru John at Scavenger Sound in Glen Burnie, Md. I took my broken tweeter to John and he meticulously took it apart and was able to get it back to working properly. I couldn't be happier.

The best part of my trip was when John invited me to walk from his repair shop right next door to his home where I was treated to seeing his Industrial model Paragon and a beautiful pair of Mahogany Hartsfieds.

Sounds like an amazing place - but actually, other than reading some of John's posts here many years ago,
I think Rusty Jefferson is how I heard about John. He and John had a lot of back and forth as Rusty assembled the big UREIs he owned.
Now THOSE were an amazing listen!

But it sounds like it was well worth the long drive from your place to Glen Burnie - to see those gogeous speakers,
and even more, to get your unobtanium 066 driver back in working shape!! Wow!
Now a nice weekend to begin to enjoy the music!

grumpy
07-07-2018, 12:19 PM
Good to hear it got sorted out!

I’ll retry the attachment for posterity:

hjames
07-07-2018, 12:58 PM
Good to hear it got sorted out!

I’ll retry the attachment for posterity:

3 066 tweeters in prisine shape! Woah!

grumpy
07-07-2018, 10:11 PM
Problem nicely solved, so my 4313b plans will remain intact.

Off topic: If I recall correctly, LE-10H(1) cores aren’t as much of an issue as proper “software”
(aquaplas-ed cones). (?)

rusty jefferson
07-08-2018, 08:45 AM
Glad to hear John was able to get it repaired for you.

He does have quite the museum there doesn't he? Vintage speakers, and vintage cars! :)

hjames
07-08-2018, 02:58 PM

He does have quite the museum there doesn't he? Vintage speakers, and vintage cars! :)

Cars too?? Oh what fun!

blgtrio
07-08-2018, 03:58 PM

Thanks Rusty :applaud: