PDA

View Full Version : L100 mid-range and tweeter cutting out

erickrb
06-17-2018, 04:49 PM
Hello all. I'm new here, and new to owning vintage JBL's. After purchasing a beat up pair for fairly cheap, I noticed that the mid-range, and tweeter didn't work. I poked around online and read how someone recommended turning the "brilliance" and "presence" adjustment knobs. I tried that and it does work, but it has to be in just right the spot to get all the speakers to work, with the mid range being the most picky.

I'm assuming those adjustments weren't for turning the mid-ranges and tweeters off an on, right? How can I fix this? Can the crossovers be re-capped to fix this??

Thanks!

robertg
06-17-2018, 08:43 PM
Your L-pads need cleaning or replacement.

erickrb
06-17-2018, 09:24 PM
Can you go into a little more detail?

How do I clean it? I should use DeoxIT, right? Where, exactly, do I spray it? Is there a notch that I'm aiming for? Do I need to take the cross over out, or can I do it with the crossover in place, and just reach in? Is there anything else I should do to clean them? If I need to take off the plate, I would go all out an recap and replace all that I can, since I don't want to mess with that plate too much. What kind of L-Pad would be an appropriate replacement?

Thanks

robertg
06-18-2018, 06:57 AM
I'm sure if you googled it you will find instructions on how to clean them.

SEAWOLF97
06-18-2018, 07:43 AM
I would go all out an recap and replace all that I can
Thanks

have you looked at the xover ?

Mr. Widget
06-18-2018, 08:08 AM
have you looked at the xover ?That's easier said than done! As you know, because of the darned foilcals they are tricky to get to.

Can you go into a little more detail? If you search the forum you'll find a number of threads on the topic. I've never tried it, but many people have successfully tackled this.

Good Luck!

Widget