PDA

View Full Version : Tad 18"

Dr.db
06-16-2018, 08:21 AM
Hello,

what do you guys think of using a TAD TL-1801 in a 4345-like setup?
The woofer looks like a very good hifi-bass but besides that not like a 100% JBL 2245 substitue. Therefor I suppose the TL-1801 needs a different enclosure for optimum performance!? It has a lighter cone and higher resonance-freq. so probably needs a bigger enclosure for same low-freq. extension...

There is not a lot of information on this TAD woofer.
Fortunately member POS has chared his impressions with me as he has owned both models in the past. He reported that both sounded very similar in aprox. 8 cb ft. TAD used the 18" woofer in the TSC-1118SW cinema subwoofer which is aprox. 8 cb ft. as well...
Westlake Audio uses them in their huge SM-1VF monitors. Iīm not shure about these, but the dimensions tell me each TL-1801 must have at least 12 cb ft of enclosure-volume.

What enclosure-size would you think of being appropriate for the TL-1801?
Iīm afraid that it will lack low-freq. extension in the usual JBL enclosures due to itīs lighter cone and different TSPīs...

Regards,
Olaf

speakerdave
06-16-2018, 09:07 AM
I've looked at the same question and believe you have pretty much scoped it out. The 12 cu ft cabinet is one option. A smaller box with vlf eq probably makes more sense, but those frequencies I think entail DSP, another hurdle. Me, I grow steadily less fond of moving 250 lb speakers around.

ivica
06-16-2018, 09:30 AM
Hello,

what do you guys think of using a TAD TL-1801 in a 4345-like setup?
The woofer looks like a very good hifi-bass but besides that not like a 100% JBL 2245 substitue. Therefor I suppose the TL-1801 needs a different enclosure for optimum performance!? It has a lighter cone and higher resonance-freq. so probably needs a bigger enclosure for same low-freq. extension...

There is not a lot of information on this TAD woofer.
Fortunately member POS has chared his impressions with me as he has owned both models in the past. He reported that both sounded very similar in aprox. 8 cb ft. TAD used the 18" woofer in the TSC-1118SW cinema subwoofer which is aprox. 8 cb ft. as well...
Westlake Audio uses them in their huge SM-1VF monitors. Iīm not shure about these, but the dimensions tell me each TL-1801 must have at least 12 cb ft of enclosure-volume.

What enclosure-size would you think of being appropriate for the TL-1801?
Iīm afraid that it will lack low-freq. extension in the usual JBL enclosures due to itīs lighter cone and different TSPīs...

Regards,
Olaf

Hi Olaf,

From the BB6 simulation it seems that there is almost no difference in the LF responses between TAD 1801 and JBL 2245 applied in 250Lit reflex box, tuned round 29Hz.

regards
ivica

H

speakerdave
06-16-2018, 10:02 AM
Yep. Probably means that box is too small for either of them.

dn92
06-16-2018, 02:59 PM
In TAD TL-1801 datasheet three volume/port tuning are provided as examples. The most appropriate is 340L(12ft3)/26Hz, with a response down to around 25Hz.

Give me an email address through PM and I'll send you this datasheet.

Dr.db
06-17-2018, 03:17 PM
In TAD TL-1801 datasheet three volume/port tuning are provided as examples. The most appropriate is 340L(12ft3)/26Hz, with a response down to around 25Hz.

Give me an email address through PM and I'll send you this datasheet.

Huge thanks to Didier for providing official data!
The presented enclosureīs are 6 cu. ft., 12 cu. ft. and 18 cu. ft.
6 cu. ft. drops off very early and is clearly too small.
12 cu. ft. looks most linear.
18 cu. ft. gets just a little lower, but not as linear.
These graphs correspond with WinISDīs simulations.

The 9 cu. ft. JBL 4345 enclosure looks like a good match with the TAD TL-1801. It looks allright in that box-size, though it would definitly benefit from the 12 cu. ft. box-size.

Hi Olaf,

From the BB6 simulation it seems that there is almost no difference in the LF responses between TAD 1801 and JBL 2245 applied in 250Lit reflex box, tuned round 29Hz.

regards
ivica

I would agree so far.

The 12 cu ft cabinet is one option. A smaller box with vlf eq probably makes more sense, but those frequencies I think entail DSP, another hurdle.

Yes, 12 cu. ft. looks very nice from acoustic viewpoint exclusively.
But thatīs one big fellow :blink:
I think 9 cu. ft. should work even without vlf eq.