PDA

View Full Version : Westlake enclosure damping

Dr.db
06-07-2018, 08:15 AM
Hi,

does anyone know the specific material Westlake Audio uses to damp their enclosure?
I believe they use some kind of sound-absorbent paste on the inside of the enclosure-walls...

Regards,
Olaf

Mr. Widget
06-08-2018, 05:56 PM
You might try to search some of Ken Pachkowsky’s threads and posts. He may have discussed this. He had a pair of large Westlakes and eventually even worked with Westlake.

Widget

Ian Mackenzie
06-09-2018, 08:59 AM
As l recall it was a substance like acquaplas. The bracing was also in conventional.

If you have a search on google there are various visco elastic sound deadening coatings available that you can trowel on. The thing to understand is it’s will add considerable mass and make the internal volume of the enclosure smaller.

Earl K
06-09-2018, 09:55 AM
Also, RobH ( if I remember correctly ) did some worthy research on looking for an alternative ( to the original ) mastic/goop type material > to fulfill this same function.

:)

richluvsound
06-09-2018, 10:55 AM
http://www.affixit.co.uk/Green-Glue/Green-Glue-Pail.Html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImby8-pLH2wIV6b3tCh3Z4AjWEAQYAiABEgLgkPD_BwE

Sikaflex and CBT work pretty much the same .

Dr.db
06-09-2018, 12:08 PM
Thanks a lot for the rapid response. :)

Apparently their exist a few products that seem suitable. Is their any ingredient that could harm a loudspeakers surround or suspension due to aggressive fumes that continue to degas over years?

richluvsound
06-09-2018, 10:30 PM
Thanks a lot for the rapid response. :)

Apparently their exist a few products that seem suitable. Is their any ingredient that could harm a loudspeakers surround or suspension due to aggressive fumes that continue to degas over years?

Green Glue is designed to be used in inhabited enviroments . I use sikaflex to damp horns ..... the is no smell after curing . CBT can be used in kitchens ( same material as the Sika product ) and with the EU regulations I'm be pretty confident .

Rich

Dr.db
06-12-2018, 01:19 PM
Thanks ;)