PDA

View Full Version : Altec Flamencos - Crossover and Inspection

JRinder
04-23-2018, 07:41 AM
Hello all, I've had a difficult time finding information on these speakers; though I have some familiarity with the family.

I've recently replaced the diaphragm on one of the horns, and now the other sounds weaker. It's still there but the high's are muted. I've tested the attenuator and it is working (the highs and mids are just low). I've read in some cases this could be due to the crossovers, not just the diaphragm. These are old, and probably never serviced. I've used a different amp, and hooked up different speakers to the current amp just to ensure it wasn't the amp.

I've purchased a new diaphragm to install, but wanted to make sure I understood the problem better.

I have some familiarity with electronics, but it's almost entirely computer related.

What steps should I take to verify and isolate the issue?

gdmoore28
04-25-2018, 08:33 AM
Hi JRinder.

- Check for corrosion at every point from the time the signal enters the cabinet, thru the crossover, and to the driver. And that includes the connections inside the driver to the diaphragm. And make sure that none of the wires have corroded inside the insulator. Time and again issues like this are traced to corrosion issues.

- Aside from corrosion, the only thing that can go wrong in the crossover is capacitor degeneration. Before diving into the crossover to replace the caps, though, I would switch sides with the drivers - left speaker driver swapped to the right and visa versa. If there is a problem with the crossover, the problem will stay with the speaker even when the drivers are swapped.

- If the problem stays even when the drivers are swapped, you've isolated the problem to the crossover. Replace the caps.

- If the problem follows the driver even when sides are swapped, you've determined that the driver/diaphragm is the problem. Have you measured the resistance across the driver terminals? Both drivers/diaphragms should be very close.

- I suppose that the Alnico magnet of the affected driver could have degauzed, but I've never heard of that problem with Altec drivers. Somebody with much more experience than I will need to chip in on this one. I just don't know for sure.

Our Altec experts will see your post soon and give you the real scoop.

GeeDeeEmm

Earl K
04-26-2018, 02:23 PM
Hello all, I've had a difficult time finding information on these speakers; though I have some familiarity with the family.

I've recently replaced the diaphragm on one of the horns, and now the other sounds weaker. It's still there but the high's are muted. I've tested the attenuator and it is working (the highs and mids are just low). I've read in some cases this could be due to the crossovers, not just the diaphragm. These are old, and probably never serviced. I've used a different amp, and hooked up different speakers to the current amp just to ensure it wasn't the amp.

I've purchased a new diaphragm to install, but wanted to make sure I understood the problem better.

I have some familiarity with electronics, but it's almost entirely computer related.

What steps should I take to verify and isolate the issue?

J,

Since you appear to be unaware of the necessity to tell us about which replacement diaphragm you used (?), I must conclude that your problem actually stems from this over-sight ( & everything that follows from thinking "type" > "just doesn't matter" ).

ie; Cheap chinese junk, won't cut-it ( no matter the impedance stated, or price paid ).

The only replacement diaphragms that can be considered "proper" replacements for your Flamencos, come from GPA (https://greatplainsaudio.com/) .

Match the dcr's of new ( to old ) diaphragms.

:)

gdmoore28
04-26-2018, 06:09 PM
J,

Since you appear to be unaware of the necessity to tell us about which replacement diaphragm you used (?), I must conclude that your problem actually stems from this over-sight ( & everything that follows from thinking "type" > "just doesn't matter" ).

ie; Cheap chinese junk, won't cut-it ( no matter the impedance stated, or price paid ).

The only replacement diaphragms that can be considered "proper" replacements for your Flamencos, come from GPA (https://greatplainsaudio.com/) .

Match the dcr's of new ( to old ) diaphragms.

:)

Excellent point, Earl. It didn't cross my mind that the replacement diaphragm might be one of the Chinese efforts, but that is a distinct possibility. Maybe OP will enlighten us.

GeeDeeEmm