PDA

View Full Version : Need JBL Jubal L65 Cabinet Repair Advice or Replacement Cabinet

seventy1
04-17-2018, 07:51 AM
Our "cute" puppy chewed the front bottom corners off of one of the cabinets and I just can't stand looking at it anymore. I'll post pictures if I can force myself to document the damage. I am looking for advice on how to repair the sub MDF and patch in some veneer. Has anyone done something similar, impossible task? The grille corner is also a bit chewed, but not as offensive as the cabinet. Alternatively, I'm hoping to find someone who's parted out the drivers but kept a cabinet or two. Preferably close by Plymouth, MI. Thanks for any help!

seventy1
04-18-2018, 05:15 PM
Ok, here are some photos of the damaged areas, cringe... Any suggestions other than what to do with the dog?

Mr. Widget
04-18-2018, 07:55 PM
Dammit! What a bummer!
I think your best bet is to find a parted out cabinet. That looks pretty tough to repair.

Widget

gdmoore28
04-20-2018, 08:52 AM
Check over on Audio Karma. There area numerous threads there on how to professionally repair cabinet damage like that and worse. It looks hopeless, but it's not.

GeeDeeEmm

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?search/11169081/&q=speaker+cabinet+repair&o=date&c[title_only]=1

remusr
04-20-2018, 09:33 PM
Great the grilles are still ok. Way I look at it you probably could live with a repair that is not obvious.
Easiest is to remove grilles, patch with plastic wood, sand, tidy up a bit and stain with appropriate golden oak-ish oil stain.
Next up would be to buy some similar grain oak veneer, cut a clean veneer edge, patch mdf with plastic wood, sand, final fit the new veneer and contact cement it or iron it in if pre-glued. Then oil the patch a couple times with 50-50 thinner-linseed oil mix. Rub and let dry, buff with 0000 steel wool to blend in a bit and finish oil the entire wood cabinets. Buff dry. You probably haven't done that for awhile! Probably best to do all oil work in a ventilated garage nowadays and do not wash and heat dry the buffing cloths as linseed is combustible.

Mr. Widget
04-21-2018, 03:37 PM
Next up would be to buy some similar grain oak veneer...Since the originals were veneered in walnut it may be easier to find a walnut veneer that closely matched the original.:duck:

Widget

speakerdave
04-22-2018, 09:55 AM
Might be worthwhile working some cayenne into the finish coat. :p

remusr
04-25-2018, 01:58 PM
Right on the walnut. I have been doing too much oakwork.

seventy1
04-29-2018, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Funny to hear the cayenne suggestion - after she chewed some furniture, I doused the damaged areas with "Ass Blaster" hot sauce. The stuff is inedible, so I thought it must be good for something. When I was sanding those areas a couple of weeks ago, it was like someone sprayed me with pepper spray. One should definitely wear a mask when working with peppered wood. I'm still hoping to find a parted-out cabinet.

speakerdave
05-02-2018, 08:22 AM
It was not an actual suggestion. I trust you are working your way through all the chew toy options at the Puppy and Parakeet store.

seventy1
05-03-2018, 10:31 AM
It was not an actual suggestion. I trust you are working your way through all the chew toy options at the Puppy and Parakeet store.

Absolutely, yesterday she enjoyed chewing an Alexa voice remote, her second one...:(