PDA

View Full Version : JBL 4345 price and availability

mep
04-06-2018, 06:21 PM
Hi all. I just joined this forum and this is my first post. I would like to purchase a pair of 4345 speakers and I would like to know what the current price you should expect to pay for a pair in great condition. Also, does anyone have a line on a great pair for sale. Thanks.

Mark

DES-1
04-06-2018, 08:11 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-4345-Studio-Monitors/263587542192?hash=item3d5f0ab4b0:g:erwAAOSwgNxakaD ~

Originals don’t one come up often. And the ones I’ve seen were in this same price range. I believe this seller sold a pair to someone here in the last year.

Unless you're a serious collector maybe a clone set would suffice?

Ducatista47
04-06-2018, 11:23 PM
I have an original pair. Cosmetically good but not pristine. Sonically they are better than new. The crossovers are expertly upgraded by a knowledgeable forum member for bi-amp only. They are in Central Illinois; meeting halfway for handoff would be a possibility if you are in TN. I would consider selling because I am downsizing my lifestyle.

mep
04-07-2018, 08:20 AM
What was the original MSRP of a pair of 4345 speakers?

rusty jefferson
04-07-2018, 08:47 AM
What was the original MSRP of a pair of 4345 speakers?
Does it really matter what the MSRP of anything collectable is? Availability is the issue, and it looks like you might have just walked into a deal for something you'd like to own. :)

mep
04-07-2018, 09:50 AM
Does it really matter what the MSRP of anything collectable is? Availability is the issue, and it looks like you might have just walked into a deal for something you'd like to own. :)

Because it's nice to know how much they have gone up in value over time.

Mr. Widget
04-07-2018, 11:18 AM
Because it's nice to know how much they have gone up in value over time.As a curiosity I suppose. I doubt they have done much better than inflation and certainly not as well as the same money invested in the stock market.

I don’t know the answer to your question however I do believe there is a chart posted somewhere on the forum that would have the answer. I wish I had a better memory and I wish the form and a better search feature, but we have what we have.

Widget

Mr. Widget
04-07-2018, 11:25 AM
I found it… Rather surprising.

In 1983 a pair of 4345s would have cost $4620. That means they haven’t quite kept up with inflation.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?25026-1977-to-1988-JBL-Studio-Monitor-Prices

Widget

DES-1
04-07-2018, 03:05 PM
I doubt they have done much better than inflation and certainly not as well as the same money invested in the stock market.

In 1983 a pair of 4345s would have cost $4620. That means they haven’t quite kept up with inflation.

Widget

Mr Widget nails it: Looking at the S&P 500 rise adjusted for inflation since 1983 is an eye opener, it's about 6x (and 17x unadjusted!) and CPI is about 2.4x

Yep, former value is just a gee-whiz statistic.

Earl K
04-07-2018, 04:40 PM
So in today's dollars they would sell for $28,000.00 new.

Ergo, anything way under that constitutes a reasonable deal.

Nice to know !

:)

mep
04-07-2018, 05:14 PM
I found it… Rather surprising.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?25026-1977-to-1988-JBL-Studio-Monitor-Prices

Widget

Thank you Mr. Widget.

Mr. Widget
04-07-2018, 06:46 PM
So in today's dollars they would sell for $28,000.00 new.

Ergo, anything way under that constitutes a reasonable deal.

Nice to know !

:)How did you come up with that figure? The inflation calculator I used showed a figure just above $11,000.

Widget

Earl K
04-08-2018, 01:35 AM
How did you come up with that figure? The inflation calculator I used showed a figure just above $11,000.

Widget

OOps , you're right!

I used the adjusted S&P figure that you posted.

My bad :blink:

:)

KTG
04-08-2018, 06:41 AM
Unlike the pricing of the very efficient pricing of the stock and bond markets, this market is all emotion and availability. The investment might not be the best but a whole lot of fun.. Hard to have it both ways.

BMWCCA
04-08-2018, 06:53 AM
How did you come up with that figure? The inflation calculator I used showed a figure just above $11,000.
Oddly, when checking my Social Security earnings records, my income has increased by nearly the same factor over the same period of time. In my industry, just keeping up with inflation seems to be an accomplishment!

BTW, I thoroughly enjoy my 4345 clones with cabinets by KenRick the purchase of which is well documented on this site—now over eight-years ago.

mep
04-08-2018, 08:44 AM
Unlike the pricing of the very efficient pricing of the stock and bond markets, this market is all emotion and availability. The investment might not be the best but a whole lot of fun.. Hard to have it both ways.

For me, it's a minor miracle that any audio gear retains the value you purchased it for, let alone actually continuing to increase in value. So, I don't look at purchasing audio gear as an investment and try and make comparisons with the increase in value vice what the same money would have done in the stock market. I do take some comfort in knowing that I will get all of my money back and possibly more down the road if I ever chose to sell a given piece of gear that is actually an appreciating asset, but I'm buying them to listen to.

hjames
04-09-2018, 07:05 AM
Hi all. I just joined this forum and this is my first post. I would like to purchase a pair of 4345 speakers and I would like to know what the current price you should expect to pay for a pair in great condition. Also, does anyone have a line on a great pair for sale. Thanks.

Mark
Probably anywhere from $7-12k, depending on whether they are factory built or "clones", condition,
correctness of the system, if anything has been updated, location, and a few other things ...

This is post is for your amusement, opinion only, and no indication if you ever will find a pristine original 4345 system for dirt cheap ...

martin_wu99
04-09-2018, 07:55 AM
Probably anywhere from $7-12k, depending on whether they are factory built or "clones", condition,
correctness of the system, if anything has been updated, location, and a few other things ...

This is post is for your amusement, opinion only, and no indication if you ever will find a pristine original 4345 system for dirt cheap ...
Where to find $7k original factory built 4345? :blink:I have great interesting:D

martin_wu99
04-09-2018, 10:50 PM
I have an original pair. Cosmetically good but not pristine. Sonically they are better than new. The crossovers are expertly upgraded by a knowledgeable forum member for bi-amp only. They are in Central Illinois; meeting halfway for handoff would be a possibility if you are in TN. I would consider selling because I am downsizing my lifestyle.
What's the price?:)

Ian Mackenzie
04-10-2018, 12:23 AM
Those particular stock 4345s have a rich and storied history on these forums.

Its not just what it is but who's owned it.

That commands a premium price.

remusr
04-11-2018, 09:18 PM
Probably $15k USD plus shipping for a pair of originals in perfect shape. Slightly more with spare grilles in alternate color.
Theoretically that is. If they were for sale. Hey, should this thread be in Marketplace???

DES-1
04-12-2018, 04:58 AM
Theoretically that is. If they were for sale. Hey, should this thread be in Marketplace???

It should be in Marketplace IF your theory or hypothesis can be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt via the Scientific Method :D

If the sale goes forward, please post a link to a set of high-res photos. I'm sure there is a collector out there you'll eventually find who won't hesitate and will just write a check.