PDA

View Full Version : Stands for 4345

Chas
03-30-2018, 11:50 AM
I’m thinking finally getting some or building a pair. Anyone have experience with adding some?
i am wondering about how high to make them.

Ian Mackenzie
03-30-2018, 01:14 PM
Hi Chas,

Around 4-6 inches.

I found in practice there are two problems.

The weight and size makes manoeuvring the enclosure difficult period.

Secondly raising the height can compromise the ideal listener height for the horn and slot.

Some 4 inch dolly’s can can help with manoeuvring.

Then a sheet of 1 inch structural plywood for the base. Add additional sheets if you want to try more height.

Put a lip at the front edge of the base to avoid the enclosure sliding forward. Then add packers at the rear to get the angle right.

You could attach a kick plate to the front of the stand to hide the dolly’s from view.

Paint it Matt black.

A good long weekend project in the shed.

Chas
03-31-2018, 10:33 AM
I was thinking around five inches as well. I sit about ten feet away and roughly measured the change in ear height between sitting upright and then reclining to “lock in” the sound. This translated to a delta of about eight or nine inches.

i wonder how high the Kenrick’s are?

BMWCCA
03-31-2018, 05:19 PM
I was thinking around five inches as well. I sit about ten feet away and roughly measured the change in ear height between sitting upright and then reclining to “lock in” the sound. This translated to a delta of about eight or nine inches.

i wonder how high the Kenrick’s are?What I love about mine is that from ten-feet they image right at my ears when sitting on the couch. I'm building a new house with a main room with a wall with fireplace and built-ins allowing freedom of movement for the 4345s for distance-apart and toe-in but no plans for raising them beyond the casters mounted behind the stock plinth. I hadn't considered an alternative. I'll be interested to see what you think of them elevated and what problem that fixed.
:lurk:

Chas
04-05-2018, 01:03 PM
Thanks for your comments. I use an Ekorne (SP?) Scandinavian style recliner and definitely note an considerable improvement in the MF/HF gelling when my ears are positioned lower than seated upright.

i’ve heard the same effect at member “Christos” house on his big four ways, as well.

Ian Mackenzie
05-17-2018, 02:59 AM
Hi Chas,

I agree.

Playing Toy by Yellow (German group) tonight the vocals do change balance with a warmer mid once l sit lower in the chair so my ears are level with bottom of the lense.

It’s more coherent with a nice window into the sound stage.

Robh3606
05-17-2018, 08:55 AM
I have my 4344 clones on stands about 10" or so It worked out pretty well. Have casters on the bottom so I can position them easier especially the toe in.

Rob:)