PDA

View Full Version : JBL C45 S8 speakers questions

jrsevy
03-16-2018, 06:22 PM
I can't find much information on these speakers. I happened to buy a home in 2015 that had an estate sale before going on the market. I found that the only thing that wasn't sold were these speakers hiding in a custom made console with the console grills screwed shut. No one bothered to open it up to see what was inside! The guy who bought these speakers passed away in 1985 and they were probably not used much afterwards. The home was built in 1971 with one owner and the widow moved into a nursing home in 2007 and passed in 2012. The estate sat empty but was maintained until it hit the market.

I see the S8 components were first listed in the 1974 JBL catalog but not every year catalog is listed in the library on this site? Couldn't find the C45 enclosure, so not sure what year these speaker were purchased new.

The speakers look in great shape and they sound incredible. I saw only one pair of these speakers being auctioned in 2016 for $4700 but not sure what it sold for. I see currently many of the S8 components being sold on eBay for a lot of money. The 375 driver/HL93 horn lens now asking for more than $4000/pr! If all S8 components sell at asking, it would sell for over $6000.

Speaker grills are missing.

My questions:

Anybody have an idea what year these went on sale?
What do you think these speakers are really worth on the market? I think more than $3000 but much more than that?
If you had these and didn't need to sell, you think they will continue to appreciate?
Speaking of appreciation, I'd rather listen to these with my Denon AVS 3100X than my high end Klipsch 7.2 setup with my Denon AVS4100X - at least in stereo.80495804968049780498:)80495804968049780498

grumpy
03-16-2018, 06:58 PM
Ah, the Flair.
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1974-l45.htm

Fortunate find. Good luck with your sale.

BMWCCA
03-16-2018, 08:58 PM
If you think they sound good now, you should try them after you get rid of the hard-as-a-rock Lansaloy surround material!

Looks like 1973 for the first C45/L45 listed in the catalogs, along with the S8 system. Though the S8 actually is shown much earlier, too, at least as far back as 1962.

jrsevy
03-16-2018, 09:25 PM
If you think they sound good now, you should try them after you get rid of the hard-as-a-rock Lansaloy surround material!

Looks like 1973 for the first C45/L45 listed in the catalogs, along with the S8 system. Though the S8 actually is shown much earlier, too, at least as far back as 1962.

Thanks. Any suggestions on which I should get? I see some for as little at $40/pair. The woofers do seem stiff when I push on them. The repair doesn't look too challenging with the right tools and patience.

ngccglp
03-16-2018, 11:06 PM
This has a more beautiful baffle lay out than the standard 4333 I think. Congratulations

BMWCCA
03-17-2018, 03:48 AM
Thanks. Any suggestions on which I should get? I see some for as little at $40/pair. The woofers do seem stiff when I push on them. The repair doesn't look too challenging with the right tools and patience.

Rick Cobb: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?469-Resurround-Step-by-step

grumpy
03-17-2018, 11:16 AM
Not knowing your experience level, I’d suggest you have the repair done professionally if you want to maximize your return. Nothing says “run away” quite like a crappy DIY refurb ... which often is easy to spot. If this is old hat, knock yourself out :)

Earl K
03-17-2018, 11:59 AM
A Cautionary Tale from AudioKarma (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/jbl-4410-incorrect-refoam.814454/) for those flippers looking to enhance their profit margins via ( DIY ) re-surrounds.

:)

Mr. Widget
03-17-2018, 12:53 PM
In answer to your question, the S8 system has been around since the early 60s.

Those appear to be in pristine condition. Assuming you carefully remove the components, you will get the highest return for parting them out. I would assume you would get $3000 to $4000 for the parts. If you want to sell them I would not repair the woofers. Because they look so pristine I think they will be worth more to the collector as they are.

Now, all that said… If they are in a convenient location and you enjoy the way they sound I would follow the advice above and have them professionally serviced. If they were mine I would also upgrade the tweeter to the slot radiator and build a newer crossover.

Widget

jrsevy
03-17-2018, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. Widget;413614]In answer to your question, the S8 system has been around since the early 60s.

Those appear to be in pristine condition. Assuming you carefully remove the components, you will get the highest return for parting them out. I would assume you would get $3000 to $4000 for the parts. If you want to sell them I would not repair the woofers. Because they look so pristine I think they will be worth more to the collector as they are.

Now, all that said… If they are in a convenient location and you enjoy the way they sound I would follow the advice above and have them professionally serviced. If they were mine I would also upgrade the tweeter to the slot radiator and build a newer crossover.

Thanks for the great advice. If I got the surrounds replaced, I would have it done professionally. I am now maybe considering parting the components out. I did remove the woofers and it appears the speakers have never been opened. There is a name Motta on probably an inspection or assembler card. A nut tee was missing from one of the woofer screws but there are no teeth indentations, so it was missed in assembly. What to do? I think I'll sleep on it.

jrsevy
03-17-2018, 04:45 PM
I'm really starting to get the vintage JBL bug and may go hog wild. Thinking of pulling all S8 components and building a Metregon like enclosure for them. It would look amazing in our home, which is a mid-century Frank Wright type prairie home. I need to do some research on the right woofer porting to get the low end dynamics right. I have built a fair amount of cabinetry and have all the tools. I want to show off the 075's leaving them exposed and the 375/ HL93's too. Now for some research and plans...

Any input would be appreciated but I'm shifting gears from trying to make a buck to creating something really cool.

jrsevy
03-17-2018, 09:40 PM
All out and I couldn't believe how massive the this stuff weighs. Depending on what I build for a console, I've been looking at different lens options for the 375 driver. I'd like not to use the original baffles on the H93's for appearance but getting everything sounding right will need some thought.

jrsevy
04-30-2018, 01:42 PM
Almost complete and I had my woofers re-foamed. My attempt to create a modified Metregon with an added component cabinet in the middle of the curve. Just need to insulate, add my old JBL speakers and make the louvers in front of the baffle panels.

Mr. Widget
04-30-2018, 02:34 PM
Very Cool!
What is your woofer enclosure volume?

Widget

jrsevy
05-02-2018, 12:58 PM
Very Cool!
What is your woofer enclosure volume?

Widget

I think I figured 8.4 cubic feet with all bracing accounted for. I calculated the port dimensions at 28Hz. The frequency I found for the LE-15A used by JBL is 30Hz, so I'll maybe play around with it.

As long as we're on the subject of the woofer enclosure, would you recommend adding insulation on all sides? I saw pictures of Metregons that appeared to have insulation on all but the back and the baffle. I plan on using 1.5" thick denim insulation from Home Depot. Don't want fiberglass fibers going airborne through the port from the woofer movement.

Mr. Widget
05-02-2018, 06:23 PM
I think I figured 8.4 cubic feet with all bracing accounted for. I calculated the port dimensions at 28Hz. The frequency I found for the LE-15A used by JBL is 30Hz, so I'll maybe play around with it.

As long as we're on the subject of the woofer enclosure, would you recommend adding insulation on all sides? I saw pictures of Metregons that appeared to have insulation on all but the back and the baffle. I plan on using 1.5" thick denim insulation from Home Depot. Don't want fiberglass fibers going airborne through the port from the woofer movement.Denim is excellent. I would stick with 30Hz tuning especially since you’ll likely gain a little effective volume from the additional insulation. I would put it on five sides. Everywhere but the baffle.

Widget

jrsevy
05-03-2018, 12:22 PM
Denim is excellent. I would stick with 30Hz tuning especially since you’ll likely gain a little effective volume from the additional insulation. I would put it on five sides. Everywhere but the baffle.

Widget

Thanks!

jrsevy
05-07-2018, 07:52 PM
This was a big project. I had to build a form that could hold the weight of a truck for laminating the curve, then cut the doors short from that and add 1/2" walnut to the edges of the doors and opening before veneering with two-ply walnut in one sheet. The two issues I had with assembly were that the curve wasn't completely square, so I had to raise the bottom on one side to get the door to line up right with the installed Soss hinges and needed to add some trim. Also wasn't confident enough in exact placement to pre-mortise the louver slots before assembly, so I mortised them into 1/4" walnut strips but now can easily pull them out after removing the screws. So, not exactly like the original plans I have but adding a center cabinet was a must for me.

My "Metregon" is 103" long and 31" high vs. 74" x 30". The re-foamed woofer sounds much better now and I also have a Klipsch 12" subwoofer in the room for extra punch.

Anyone think I should replace the diaphragms in the 075 and 375? They are original with the red wax screw seals (early 70's). They sound really clean to me.

I'm happy with the results (wife too!) and glad I didn't sell the components of my S8 Flair speakers. Now I need to see if there is any interest for my empty Flair cabinets or they're going to a dumpster.8107281073

Mr. Widget
05-07-2018, 10:12 PM
Magnifient! I like your proportions better than the original.

Do you have any additional photos?

Widget

Chas
05-08-2018, 05:29 AM
Ditto what Widget said, very frickin’ cool!

grumpy
05-08-2018, 06:56 AM
Turned out quite nicely! Well done.
Personally, I'd leave the diaphragms as they are unless you notice an actual problem.
Even then, I'd likely try a different set of cores (vs popping open original/sealed units).

Earl K
05-08-2018, 07:24 AM
What a gorgeous looking cabinet/build!!

PS: As Grumpy mentioned, I wouldn't mess with the diaphragms.

jrsevy
05-08-2018, 11:11 AM
Magnifient! I like your proportions better than the original.

Do you have any additional photos?

Widget

I need to pull it away from the wall to patch the holes in the wall with a walnut board (no more clear redwood to be found) and then I'll take more pictures with daylight lighting. I'll post that in a few days.

jrsevy
05-08-2018, 11:12 AM
What a gorgeous looking cabinet/build!!

PS: As Grumpy mentioned, I wouldn't mess with the diaphragms.

Thanks. I'm glad you guys like it!

jrsevy
05-11-2018, 02:17 PM

jrsevy
05-11-2018, 02:22 PM
I mortised some short pieces of anodized aluminum angle on the inside of the doors to prevent damage from sliding the shelves out if the doors aren't completely open. Otherwise pretty much done, short of touching up a couple of scratches.811118111281113

Earl K
05-11-2018, 02:51 PM
Wow!

That's one great looking setup/room that wonderfully compliments your Metregon creation .

Mr. Widget
05-12-2018, 08:42 AM
Very nice! Makes me want to make some wood dust!
Thanks for sharing!

Widget

srm51555
05-14-2018, 05:50 AM
Awesome job and layout!

jrsevy
08-09-2018, 09:16 PM
I replace my 075 tweeters with 077 tweeters and changed out the N7000 crossovers with N8000. Listening to Aerosmith Dream On, I've never heard the synthesized high notes in the opening part of the tune before. Played it on my high end 2016 Klipsch speakers in my media room and my 1970's JBL's sounded better. Glad I did this project! My wife says I'm done now. Mounting the 077's externally works better than the deep angled mount on the baffles. Selling my 075's on eBay now and will list the N7000's after that. 81977