PDA

View Full Version : Need help for my 2242H

Menk
02-18-2018, 10:22 PM
Hallo, does anybody know which glue is used for Magnet assamb? :confused: When my 2242 chassis arrived the polplate was loose and now I have to glue them together. As a spacer for the air gap I will use an HT-Pipe which fits the parameter exactly.
Thanks for help.

1audiohack
02-18-2018, 10:31 PM
Henkel LocTite has a line of adhesives just for the loudspeaker industry.

I would look to them for the proper adhesive and required preparations.

Best of luck! That looks like a tough reassembly job.

Barry.

RMC
02-19-2018, 05:12 PM
Hi Menk,

In case you have difficulty finding the preferred and dedicated adhesives mentioned by Barry, as a second best type of option you may want to try "Elmers Ultimate Glue" (polyurethane based; not the same as the polyurethane construction adhesive from Henkel) which bonds metal among other things. On the many things I've tried it on (metal, cement, etc., not speaker parts though) the results were good. They changed the formula a bit recently probably to make it more environmentally friendly I guess...

The glue expands as it cures (clamping required) and makes foam, which I don't try to remove with acetone or mineral spitits (as per label) while still curing to avoid removing, currupting or weakening any glue nearby. I prefer to remove the excess foam after good curing with a sharp blade. It does the magic for me.

Do test it first with similar metal pieces, plus READ AND FOLLOW THE LABEL. Regards,

Richard

Menk
02-21-2018, 01:30 PM
Thank you for your answers. I have contacted Loctide and they recommended Loctite AA 334 with activator for this kind of work, but it‘s available from mid march and only for industry. Elmers ultimate glue. Isn‘t easy to find in Germany, and very expensive. (50€ incl.shipping)
I have found „WEICON Konstruktions-Klebstoff RK-7000 Hochleistungsklebstoff 24g Alleskleber“, whitch is very similar to Loctite. I will try it with this glue and tell you.

best regards
Menk

RMC
02-23-2018, 12:29 PM
Hi Menk,

I'm not surprised the Loctite is for industry only. 50 Euros for that bottle of Elmers ultimate glue is robbery... I purchased an extra 473 ml bottle about 1- 2 years ago at Home Depot for $10-15. or so, which they don't appear to sell here anymore.... The glue name recently changed to Elmer's Glue-All Max but it appears to be the same formula. As I write this I'm checking other Canadian retailers just to see: Home Hardware 60 ml $8.49 and 473 ml $27.99 (the price HAS gone up a lot); Rona 236 ml $16.49; Amazon.ca has 118 ml $13.71.

I can't read German but the word "Konstrucktions" sounds like construction to me, which brings me back to Henkel's Polyurethane construction adhesive sold here under the name "Lepage PL Premium". That product I also have does indicate it adheres to metal, among other things. So another idea in the suggestion box in case the German glue you found doesn't work well. Regards,

Richard

Menk
02-25-2018, 08:17 AM
Hi, the first attempt unfortunately failed. The glue sticks, but the holes are not in the correct position. When I realized that, it was already too late.
So, a new attempt, the pole plate placed on a hot plate and heated. with a threaded rod, I then put pressure on the pole plate, and after some time and the right temperature, the pole plate has come loose again.

Hi Richard, I‘ve found „Elmers Glue All Max“ on eBay in Germany and I will try it with that glue. Thank you very much for your reply.

hlaari
02-25-2018, 08:51 AM
Hi, the first attempt unfortunately failed. The glue sticks, but the holes are not in the correct position. When I realized that, it was already too late.
So, a new attempt, the pole plate placed on a hot plate and heated. with a threaded rod, I then put pressure on the pole plate, and after some time and the right temperature, the pole plate has come loose again.

Hi Richard, I‘ve found „Elmers Glue All Max“ on eBay in Germany and I will try it with that glue. Thank you very much for your reply.

I have one time fix 2242 woofer that the ring that lay deep in the cap were loose, I did take all frame screw out and use fluid press to put the pole piece back in the gap
I think at you have to use some kind of super glue to glue the back plate to the magnet again and hold it under pressure until the glue dry

good luck!

Ari

ivica
02-25-2018, 09:10 AM

Hi Menk,

I believe that You have not overheated the 2242 magnet as over 300oC it would become permanently demagnetized.
I have no idea what would happen between 100 oC and 300 oC, but it is said that its operating temperature has not to be over about 200 oC.

https://www.magnetexpert.com/technical-advice-i685/temperature-effects-on-magnets-i683

regards
ivica

Menk
02-25-2018, 12:25 PM
Hi Ivica,
I do not think that I overheated the magnet, because after the pole plate loose, I switched off the heating plate and could touch the magnet. I cleaned the pole plate and the magnet and will try it again and will not forget to position the holes.
@ Richard
The RK-7000 is very impact and for temperatures up to 125°C. I can‘t find any specs for the Elmers Glue.
regards
Menk

Menk
03-01-2018, 10:50 AM
So, everything went well, and I have sucsessful reasambled the Magnetstructure. Now the gap fit‘s perfect, and everything is ready for reconing.
I have used „Weicon RK-1500“ for glueing. The glue was recommended to me by Weicon for magnetic bonds.
Thank you for your support.

Earl K
03-01-2018, 11:11 AM
Cool, Thanks for the heads-up!

Weicon seem to be trying to penetrate the Canadian market.

http://www.weicon.ca/media/image/e2/e7/c5/10563860-35_600x600.jpg (http://www.weicon.ca/products/adhesives-and-sealants/2-component-adhesive-and-sealants/structural-acrylic-adhesives/648/rk-1500?number=10563860-35)

I see JB Weld in your picture.

Did that glue not work for you?

:)

Menk
03-01-2018, 01:17 PM
Hi Earl,
jb weld („strongest glue on planet earth“) was my first thought, but when I got more in topic and asked „Loctite“ and „Weicon“ , this seems to be the better glue for this kind of work. I think the glue-gap is to big with jb weld.
RK-1500 is like gel with activator, you don‘t have to mix anything.
best regards
Menk

Earl K
03-01-2018, 01:56 PM
Thanks,

I really like that ( no mixing ) part.

:)

Menk
03-08-2018, 12:51 PM
Ready for action again:

1audiohack
03-08-2018, 06:47 PM
Very nice!

Barry.

Earl K
03-08-2018, 07:12 PM
Great Save! Menk

Wonderful Stuff That ( saving things that others might see fit to send to the land-fill ) :)

RMC
03-09-2018, 11:09 AM
Hi Menk,

Beautiful job! If you were closer than Germany I guess I'd send my repair jobs to you...

The black glue line around the dust cap is usually the first item that betrays most amateur recone jobs. Not here though. Yours is pretty nice and smooth, almost like factory made! Congratulations.

Richard