PDA

View Full Version : Proud owner of early l77s and 166s with a few questions please

Manitouguy2
02-10-2018, 10:07 PM
Hello all - brand new here and to audio and jbl - and hoping to get feedback on a couple of topics

i recently picked up some jbl lancer 77s - wonderful early ones with the orange speaker cloth- I had been running a pioneer 8500 integrated amp and vinyl on my pioneer pl 530 with a pair pioneer 77a fbs and a pair 99a fbs ... which I thought sounded fantastic (insert here that my ears are not great and I am quite ignorant to most things audio lol but love my classic rock!).

i decided to switch the 77a pair with thelancer 77s and - oh boy - amazing!!!

not sure how they rank in the speaker world or jbl family but I love them - looks and sound!

they added an amazing top and mid and clarity / life to my simple set up :)

question 1: did the earlier l77 get the script lancer badges on the grilles? I think so but not sure? And is ebay my only hope to find these badges?

next week I am picking up some nice jbl 166s to add (plan to goof around and piggy a pioneer 9500 integrated amp with my 8500 and run the four pairs of speakers through it all) BUT the previous owner took out the 166 woofers and put in some really nice l100 white woofers in - to my ears they sounded awesome and I liked the look of the Frankensteined 166s too

question 2: can someone please describe if my crap ear on this setup would ever hear a difference between the l100 woofers and the 166 - I have read a bit on the 122 and 123 woofers differences (did I get those right) - slightly different magnet and weight - should I be overly concerned of the swap?

And for now ... question 3: if I pair two sets speakers via each amp - should it be a ‘mix n match’ trial and error to my ear or would their be some logic or ‘tech’ sense to keep the pioneer 77 and 99fbs together through one amp and the l77s and 166s through the other ?

sorry for the long initial blurb - but hoping some of you with experience and knowledge can provide opinions

loving my jbls!!!

thanks in advance for any feedback
regards Ron