PDA

View Full Version : Mono integrated tube amp to match C36 002 configuration

Steven
02-04-2018, 11:58 AM
Wondering what a C36 speaker with 075 D123 and N2400 divider would love as far as a mono tube amp. Would a 35 watt Bogen DB-130 work? Any opinions appreciated

speakerdave
02-04-2018, 01:20 PM
Wondering what a C36 speaker with 075 D123 and N2400 divider would love as far as a mono tube amp. Would a 35 watt Bogen d130 work? Any opinions appreciated

That is an excellent amp, maybe the best mono integrated of the era. Had two of them at one time I used for stereo. The guy who bought them from me was smarter than the guy selling them. The various Sherwood S1000 series are good too. There are two basic types, one with 6L6 outputs and the other with a quad of 6BQ5's. For an FM source the same vintage Sherwood tube tuners are good too, though tube tuners can get you into hunting around for rare tubes. These I'm somewhat familiar with having used them as-is for garage sound. There are also some intriguing old Harmon amps I know less about. Finally there are Heathkit mono integrateds which are the same basic 6BQ5 circuit in various guises from early fifties industrial exposed transformer to late fifties/early 60's truly dorky--my opinion, of course--mid-century Bel Air tail fin homage styling--but the circuit has a good reputation.

These amps will all have the same issue-- condition. To get spec or maybe even decent performance (and safety) a careful inspection and restoration by a qualified tech would be a very good idea. That will cost some money, but I believe you will be happy with the sound.

speakerdave
02-04-2018, 01:47 PM
Here's a link to an old discussion on this topic at Audio Asylum:

https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=vintage&m=227120

Steven
02-04-2018, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the info speakerdave...poking around I discovered a db130 that is ready to go...all new caps and tubes...we shall see. Schematics and tubes are available apparently. Going mono will be interesting...the c36 is old but built like a tank. Not sure what to expect sonically...used to my JBL pa speakers...will want the single hifi to be smoother

Steven
02-09-2018, 05:45 PM
Amp sounds great with the C36...lots of power...still hearing noise (distortion) in the vocals...most pronounced at lower volume level. Found a nice matching box to combine the stereo source material into a mono channel without changing the input level. Now will try rebuilding the N2400...think it's my noise maker. All Original guts I suppose...1959 was a long time ago

speakerdave
02-10-2018, 08:05 AM
I was sure you'd like it. Well, that's a big piece of your project accomplished. Looks very clean; looks like it's been reworked.

Mr. Widget
02-10-2018, 09:52 AM
Cool! That’s a very nice piece.
I had a mono REL Precedent FM tuner that would have complimented your Bogen nicely.

Good luck with your network project.

Widget

Steven
02-15-2018, 06:29 AM
My last step would be a new diaphragm in my 075 bullet if the new caps don't do what I hope. Pretty fun listening to mono discs that I've collected over the years. Vinyl is a great way to slow down and take in each note :)

Steven
02-27-2018, 12:45 AM
Won auction on a Bogen r660 tuner that hasn't been gone through...hope I get lucky...seller powered it up without incident. I will post questions I am sure. Dangerous amateur I am...

Steven
02-27-2018, 09:20 PM
Went well...didn't look like others I've seen in photos. The old caps had were blocks of waxy paper with 2 wires in and 1 out. Just swapped them with the Audyn Q4 6.8 caps. Cleaned up the sound and added power and punch to the low end too. Those 075 horns are so ballsy. One photo inside the box

Steven
03-01-2018, 08:12 PM
Just some cleaning and re-stringing the dial cord and it powered up and pulled in am right away. Need adapter from f cable to rca for the fm antenna input...got real lucky on this find...