PDA

View Full Version : JBL 4355 Bi amping Question.

AS-21
12-26-2017, 08:17 AM
Is it possible for the 4355 to be used with a single amplifier (McIntosh MA9000 capable of driving 2 ohm loads) by using (an) external passive crossover(s)? An active crossover would require an additional amplifier which I would prefer not having to do as the MA9000 has ample current capability for the task.

If so, can anybody recommend a passive crossover(s) that would fit the purpose? The system needs to cutoff above and below 290 Hz @ -12 dB/octave.

Just received a specially ordered equipment stand that cannot accommodate additional equipment and of course the cost of additional amplifier so the importance of passive bi amplification - if at all possible - cannot be overemphasized in this situation.

Thanks for any help.

Challenger604
12-28-2017, 07:49 PM
The 4355 was designed to be bi-amped. Not 12 but 18 DB/Octave.
I don't recommend to try mono amp. But you do whatever you want!
And I'm sure someone else will say go for it...

Chas
12-29-2017, 06:44 AM
And I'm sure someone else will say go for it...

It won’t be me.:banghead:

Mannermusic
12-29-2017, 08:48 AM
Is it possible for the 4355 to be used with a single amplifier (McIntosh MA9000 capable of driving 2 ohm loads) by using (an) external passive crossover(s)? An active crossover would require an additional amplifier which I would prefer not having to do as the MA9000 has ample current capability for the task.

If so, can anybody recommend a passive crossover(s) that would fit the purpose? The system needs to cutoff above and below 290 Hz @ -12 dB/octave.

Just received a specially ordered equipment stand that cannot accommodate additional equipment and of course the cost of additional amplifier so the importance of passive bi amplification - if at all possible - cannot be overemphasized in this situation.

Thanks for any help.

Could give Phil Marchand in Rochester, NY a call. He does this sort of custom stuff. Basically agree with Challenger 604 (post#2).

AS-21
12-29-2017, 09:14 AM
Have decided to go with a different pair of JBLs that can be single amplified.

Thanks for the replies.

ivica
12-29-2017, 11:39 AM

Thanks for any help.

Hi AS-21,

may be You can start the project with 4435 info
http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/studio%20monitor%20series/4435lr.pdf

but some work, almost the same as in 4345 network has to be elaborated or may be
helpfull
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?34844-JBL-4350-minus-one-woofer&p=354239&viewfull=1#post354239

All the Best
Ivica

Mr. Widget
12-30-2017, 11:08 AM
Have decided to go with a different pair of JBLs that can be single amplified.

Thanks for the replies.Excellent decision. I was going to suggest that myself, but was afraid it would sound too snarky.

What other speakers are you considering?

Widget