PDA

View Full Version : Repairing LE 25 speakers

gdsmith1144
11-28-2017, 01:55 AM
Lansing Heritage Forum is new to this writer as it is rare or unlikely that previous participation has occurred in open website discussions other than through professional discourse. However, after some lengthy interactions yesterday with an old acquaintance who is now an emeritus physicist professor (his focus is/was electron behavior in exotic environs, e.g. < 1.0K), our conversations have stimulated an entrance onto this forum given a recent doorstep arrival from e-bay of two (2) LE 25 units, formerly from L-100 speaker cabinets. These are not designated as LE 25-2 or LE 25-4 as typically found in a stamped letter/number format on back side of speakers. On the contrary, original JBL LE 25 8 ohm labels are affixed on the back side which presumably should indicate age of units. Photos of these units are purposely not provided in this beginning thread with consideration of keeping thought open as discussion progresses.

A goal is to "bring life back" to these aged agile transducers (comment on e-bay was "one works, other is questionable) as each needs significant attention (dust covers are severely indented, and one is torn). New circular disk dampening "foam" needs replacement as well. Resistance tests have not been performed, but will be forthcoming this AM. In its ideal since, an attempt will be made to retain all surface originality (i.e. return dust covers to convex shape and glue torn portions).

In reading other Forums which apply to LE 25's, it is understood by this writer that replacement copies of LE 25's are readily available and will not incur the time and effort needed in this restoration. Having said that, and retrospectively considering yesterday's conversations about ancient Asian ceramics (some being restored), the thought of exploring into late 1960's audio engineering technology is fascinating. Recollection of Ampex applications of Lansing-based audio technology in the late 1950's bring back sound memories (pun intended) from this writer's adolescent youth as the Ampex tape unit had replaced a Webcor wire recorder for taping blues radio broadcasts. Sound emanating from the detachable speaker boxes was clear and pure and brought attention to product inscriptions on this unit, i.e. "James B/ Lansing".

Now with retired time as a disposable luxury, and access to a multitude of technical resources, resurrecting LE 25's is akin to tying that elusive adult insect which so tastefully attracts marine or freshwater finned species. With a limited experience base in speaker restoration, not withstanding a recently completed crack repair of two 8 ohm LE 8-T's acquired in 1975 ("Lansalloy" sp?) surrounds plus phenomenal aid from white colored 3M Fast Cure 5200 Marine Adhesive Sealant- a one-part polyurethane which chemically reacts with moisture and retains flexibility/available through West Marine, creating this thread for the LE 25 project is essential. Hopefully, there will be those who will join in thinking about restorative steps.

First will be to test resistance. Are their methods for determining positive and negative terminals? It is assumed that this is not necessary for this initial test, but it may be necessary as the project progresses. Please join with your contributions, and there will be more concise discourse from this writer. Photos will be included upon request and to provide context.

grumpy
11-28-2017, 07:16 PM
Oh my!

If you are lucky, you might find something like this: https://www.ebay.com/i/202065319105 (NOS recone kits)

which was the proper way to "restore" failed or damaged drivers, when such kits were readily available to service centers.

One could spend quite a bit of time attempting to cajole old tweeters into usable service, but getting sound to come out of them
and having them perform "as-new" are two entirely different animals. If the goal is the journey, then have at it :)
There are stories here somewhere of re-soldering the enamel covered wires that often break on their way from the voice coil
to the terminals, of pushed in domes being dampened and carefully manipulated back to being convex, etc... the foam ring is the
easy part. Welcome aboard.

gdsmith1144
11-29-2017, 05:04 AM
:) Thanks for e-bay reference. If one unit has a flat (i.e. open) resistance reading, then re-cone will be considered. The "cajoling" process will be interesting. My B&L observation scope will be used along with micro-manipulation tools for moving dust cap substrate back to its original shape. If the unit that has a torn cap measures with acceptable ohm readings, then hypodermic needle application of epoxy will reconnect separated (i.e. torn) sections (much akin to surface wound surgery). Your comment about re-establishing "proper sound" is taken seriously. This will be an exploration!
Thanks again!

Oh my!

If you are lucky, you might find something like this: https://www.ebay.com/i/202065319105 (NOS recone kits)

which was the proper way to "restore" failed or damaged drivers, when such kits were readily available to service centers.

One could spend quite a bit of time attempting to cajole old tweeters into usable service, but getting sound to come out of them
and having them perform "as-new" are two entirely different animals. If the goal is the journey, then have at it :)
There are stories here somewhere of re-soldering the enamel covered wires that often break on their way from the voice coil
to the terminals, of pushed in domes being dampened and carefully manipulated back to being convex, etc... the foam ring is the
easy part. Welcome aboard.

gdsmith1144
11-30-2017, 04:01 AM
Found wire disconnected at solder point. Will re-solder (using heat sink) and keep thin copper wire insulated from metal frame (i.e. keep on top of synthetic film/tape). Should this wire have an additional clear insulating tape placed over it prior to mounting new circular acoustic dampening material (i.e. neoprene disks)? I have other original LE 25's to compare to.:confused:

grumpy
11-30-2017, 09:06 AM
Tape and/or tack wire under foam? I certainly would. I believe foam is correct; neoprene was used in later iterations.

gdsmith1144
12-03-2017, 03:04 AM
Tape and/or tack wire under foam? I certainly would. I believe foam is correct; neoprene was used in later iterations.

Thanks for that info.

I looked at my L100's and foam is what is on those LE 25's. However, foam is deteriorating and will need replacement along with the other LE 25's being worked on. When the first set of dampeners were ordered, the listing said, "Original, made by JBL, OEM parts". When it arrived (pair of dampeners) no registration number or any other recognizable product labeling was on the units, only pairs of "ears" on removal backing for pulling off to expose adhesive. Composition is dense neoprene (not the blown wet-suit material). In observing other similar products on-line, many just look like foam, and one type has foam on top of neoprene. I ordered a pair of the latter and will see how these compare to plain neoprene units. Not sure if there will be any acoustic quality that I will be able to differentiate given age at "shooters ear" syndrome from bird hunting when young (now I use BINS and view ahead rather than spew lead). But still able to pick up higher octaves..just not as well as when young Anyway, with 3 pairs of LE 25's to play with (pair in Century's, pair in L19 Decade rebuild,and pair for L16 Decade rebuild) I guess I'll have enough to test for determining "best fit/application".

Any comments are appreciated.