PDA

View Full Version : Actively crossed-over Everest system on CNET

youngho
11-26-2017, 04:54 AM
https://www.cnet.com/pictures/this-ultra-high-end-system-climbs-the-mt-everest-of-audio/#ftag=rss.audiophiliac.ftag

martin_wu99
11-26-2017, 05:27 AM
https://www.cnet.com/pictures/this-ultra-high-end-system-climbs-the-mt-everest-of-audio/#ftag=rss.audiophiliac.ftag
Very interesting experiment,but no details?:blink:

BMWCCA
11-26-2017, 06:52 AM
Interesting, thanks for the link.

First I've heard of Meitner. In doing a bit of Google research it sounds like a wonderful piece of equipment in a niche market. Then I found how many were for sale used for half the MSRP which always makes me wonder "Why?" But then, with no personal experience, I have to assume the market for $7000 components in a $200,000 system is probably rather small so that could be a very large percentage of all Meitner ma-1 DACs available used, traded for . . . what?
:dont-know:

Mr. Widget
11-26-2017, 12:38 PM
What I found interesting was the fact that he was using analog crossovers and an analog preamp in an otherwise digital system. I’m familiar with and have used all of the gear used (except for the Marantz amps) and think if I was going to go this route I’d stay in the digital domain until after the crossovers. This would give you a higher signal to noise ratio and allow seamless DSP integration.

That said I’m sure his system is exceptional.

Widget

Ian Mackenzie
11-26-2017, 07:51 PM
Maybe it was easier to access the voltage drives at the time for the E2 with the Passlabs XVR1 as that’s been done before.

But with recent improvements in the digital amp space there’s going to be outfits packaging customised digital solutions before too long.

I personal think done right an e2e all analog path is still superior.

Most designers know that unless you put a 15 -20 dB passive pad before a compression driver in an active system noise can be an issue.

grumpy
11-27-2017, 10:04 AM
Meitner gear is very nice to listen to, if not the most affordable; the guy knows what he's doing.

From my perspective I see this as a great analog system with one input used for his digital source/dac :)

Titanium Dome
11-27-2017, 01:46 PM
Sorry, I can't get past the fact that his Pass Labs XVR1 units are clearly not stacked uniformly in photo 15.

grumpy
11-27-2017, 06:08 PM
Sounds like a problem you could get some professional help to overcome.

:D

tom1040
11-29-2017, 08:37 AM
I have heard those Marantz amps. None of the other gear.

I expect that system to sound great.