PDA

View Full Version : Message Tracking Poll

Don McRitchie
12-17-2004, 03:30 PM
The poll is meant to determine whether the PM message tracking feature should be left on or turned off. I have had a number of complaints about the popup windows to either request a read receipt or accept one as being a nuisance. Regardless of what is decided, I have turned off the ability to deny receipt of a tracking notice. This eliminates one pop-up. More importantly, if it is collectively decided to keep the message tracking feature, then it should accepted that everyone has to abide by it. Having the selective ability to deny read receipts quickly defeats the purpose.

Mr. Widget
12-17-2004, 04:21 PM
I have no opinion on the matter. :smthsail:

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
12-17-2004, 05:32 PM
The popups this morning were driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don C
12-17-2004, 07:10 PM
Yes, Keep the message tracking, get rid of the pop ups.

OFD
12-18-2004, 11:08 AM
You, the viewer, can eliminate pop-ups on your own system quite easily, without denying Don the opportunuty to gain what limited income they offer.

For those of you who insist on using Internet Explorer (ugh!!) there is the Google Toolbar add-on that will stop pop-ups. For the more sophisticated (just the snob in me, I guess) there is the much more secure Mozilla browser that also eliminates annoying pop-ups.

So, there you have it - allow them, or deny them yourself without putting the onus on Don. http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/wink.gif

Zilch
12-18-2004, 11:57 AM
Not sure what the subject is here. I already have the option to turn off the popup notification when a PM has come in, no?

What IS noxious is the popup demanding that I choose whether I want notification of receipt on EVERY PM I send. It that were optional (I wouldn't ask for it most of the time, just like eMails) the "problem" is solved for me. It should just be an option in the PM composition itself, a radio button that defaults to "not," i.e., click it if you want receipt confirmation on THIS PM only....

Mr. Widget
12-18-2004, 12:02 PM
It should just be an option in the PM composition itself, a radio button that defaults to "not," i.e., click it if you want receipt confirmation on THIS PM only....

Not sure if that is a user adjustable feature, but if it is I concur. Don, if it is possible that would be a great way to handle it.

Widget

Don McRitchie
12-20-2004, 03:27 PM
The following is intended to answer a few questions raised in the above posts.

The popups in question are the "Request a Read Receipt" box that comes up immediately after you hit "Submit" to send a PM and the "XXXXX has requested a read receipt - Confirm?" that you get after reading a PM. Neither of these popups can be blocked with blocking applications like Google Toolbar, and even if they were, they would likely disable the ability to send PM's. This is because the message is not sent until you click on the popup. Neither of these popups are user controlable. The popup to notify you that you have received a PM is user controlable, so it is not being dealt with here.

The one sure way to eliminate both of the popups in question is to eliminate the tracking feature in its entirety. As far as I can tell, this is the only way to eliminate the send popup. The read receipt popup can be eliminated if you take away the recipents choice whether to acknowledge receipt and default to "yes". I have recently made this change so that you should no longer see popups after reading new PM's. As I said in the original post, I figure if there is a desire to keep the PM tracking then everyone should abide by it since individuals choosing not to issue read receipts defeat the purpose.

Right now there is a slight lead to keep the message tracking feature with very few votes cast. I interpret this as sign that it is not a significant issue to the majority of our members. I'll leave the poll open for a couple more days. However, there will have to be a demonstrated vote for change with a significant number of total votes cast to warrant dropping the PM feature.

boputnam
12-20-2004, 05:27 PM
I have no opinion on the matter. :smthsail: Dammit, Widget!! :bash:

Me? I hate 'em - they seem to have little or no useful function. Just another example of a programmer that needed something to work on...:rolleyes:

John Nebel
12-21-2004, 07:27 AM
Dammit, Widget!! :bash:

Me? I hate 'em - they seem to have little or no useful function. Just another example of a programmer that needed something to work on...:rolleyes:
A sign of a bad programmer.