PDA

View Full Version : Changing up with my JBL 4345 project Build.

Drummerboy2
09-26-2017, 05:41 PM
I was originally going to do a DIY JBL 4345 speaker/s. I had already got the 2245H's and 2123H's but still haven't got the other two components to start. So I have decided to go a different route. I'm going to do a 3 way with the 2245's, 2123's, and Beyma TPL-150 either with horn or without. The TPL-150 has a wide horizontal dispersion but a little vertical.

I have started the Crossover & Box design using Xover Pro and Bass Box Pro. Once complete I will start with the box for the that huge 18" 2245 Driver. It gonna be 38"-40" tall, 24"-25" wide, and 15" deep. The only thing I'm still not sure of is should I go with or without the horn for the TPL-150. My gut feeling tells me that the TPL-150 without the horn will sound better for home use. According to the simulations, the over all response looks really nice and hopefully it will sound even better once it's all done.

Hopefully the wife will love them since they will be a huge speaker for the living room but later will go into a dedicated listening room. The good thing she loves a good sounding system! :)

Anyone have any suggestions or tips about the build or choice of speakers?

Thanks all!

DES-1
09-27-2017, 04:58 AM
Interesting. I came up with a similar idea earlier in the year for a 3 way 4345 hybrid. IMO what makes the 4345 great is the low, mid driver, and cabinet. So my build will consist of 2245, 2123 and D2430k.

Another opinion, passive crossovers are a requirement of collector-quality originals, but tribute or hybrids need not be shackled with them. Not sure how much power they absorb but they can't be very efficient. So, I've got the parts to emulate the M2 D2430k protection circuit, and will use a DBX360 and 3 amps. All but some minor stuff is now in, including parts to build build speaker protection (want to eliminate the on/off thump that my vintage amps seem to cause).

Next steps for me are to build circuits and decide on the build/buy options for the cabs.

Good luck with your build, I'll be watching!

Ian Mackenzie
09-27-2017, 07:19 AM
I had thought about that HF driver several times too.

Some of the Heil drivers look interesting.

What I have used and to goes nicely with the JBL 2123 is the 2344 black bum horn with a 2426 compression driver.

The horn matches the directivity of the 2123 as does the dynamics.