PDA

View Full Version : Painting l50 Grilles?

Gino
09-18-2017, 03:02 PM
I recently bought a pair of l50. I bought some blue fabric from Huntley Audio, but once I got around to stripping off the ratty old brown cloth, I found the plastic grille base to be in very good condition and almost as transparent as L166 grilles. I like the way they look without the fabric and was considering painting the plastic grill base with spray paint. Has anyone tried painting these grilles. If so, any issues to consider besides the obvious of using several light coats so as not to clog the holes? Please see photos. Thanks in advance.

gsb001
09-23-2017, 01:38 PM
Hi Gino,
Steve here from Huntley Audio.com.
I'm restoring a pair of L-50's with new fabric right now. I look forward to seeing how your spray job turns out. Be sure to keep us posted.

My only suggestion is to get all the adhesive off and use a good primer before spraying to your choice of color.

Good luck,
SB

Gino
09-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Thanks Steve.

I'd love to see how your refurbish comes out. I'll post more pictures if I decide to spray paint the grilles. I may just leave them black for a while since painting will have it's issues. Finding a blue spray that closely matches the original JBL blue may be difficult, plus getting even paint coverage in all those grille holes will be challenging. I may just leave the raw until I eventually apply the fabric.

Thanks, Gino