PDA

View Full Version : pr14 possibility

bldozier
09-18-2017, 10:32 AM
hello, stay inspired.

i want to maybe build a pr14 for a speaker project, le14c,pr14 & a mid.
just wanted to ask if anyone has tired or, if its even possible. what holds the cone to the spider
in this case as i haven't seen one reconed on the past.

thank you.

Robh3606
09-19-2017, 05:34 PM
JBL used a PR-15 with the Le-14 in the L220 A passive radiator is a cone on a frame no magnet. So it is attached to the frame in the same way, They had a block behind the dome in place of the coil where you would screw different size washers to add or subtract mass to tune the passive radiator in the box

Rob:)

emilime75
09-19-2017, 06:43 PM
You typically want/need a PR with a larger SD and/or XMAX. There is no energized coil to control excursion in a PR. How much larger, or how much more excursion, varies. Polk Audio is an example, they used a 6.5" woofer with a 10" PR. Most, who didn't know, mistook them for a 3 way when they were actually a 2 way speaker. I believe the Polks didn't add extra weight to the PR, and designed the PR itself to be of the right SD and mass to tune their speakers accordingly. Aftermarket PRs will have a threaded stud or hole used to add washers/mass to "fine tune the tune".

bldozier
09-20-2017, 12:01 AM
JBL used a PR-15 with the Le-14 in the L220 A passive radiator is a cone on a frame no magnet. So it is attached to the frame in the same way, They had a block behind the dome in place of the coil where you would screw different size washers to add or subtract mass to tune the passive radiator in the box

Rob:)

Hi, I've seen a recone kit for a pr10. They way I saw the depiction is
no voice coil. The cone was attached directly with the spider. This proved an area
of confusion too me.

Could you clarify your above mentioned interjection.