PDA

View Full Version : Vintage JBLs collecting dust in antique store - questions.

PersonalTriumph
08-30-2017, 05:05 AM
Newbie here. Joined to see if I can find out more about these and if they're a worthy acquisition.

As the subject says I saw these collecting dust in a store last weekend: https://imgur.com/gallery/75Rsf

On another forum where I posted, they have been identified as C40 cabinets. One of them has a single D130 driver and the other has the D130, 075 bullet tweeter, and N2600 crossover.

Here are my questions:

Are the cabinets original or home-made copies?

Any concerns with the mismatched components in each cabinet? I'm assuming I would have to find the missing tweeter and crossover on EBay or here to make a matched set, and the components seem to be available. Is there more to it than that?

The grills that come with the speakers are two-piece grills (I didn't get pics of them) but all the pics I've seen online of the C40 has a one piece grill. Any concerns about this? They do each have a JBL badge on them.

Anything else visible in the pictures I should be concerned about?

thanks in advance for your help!

PersonalTriumph
08-30-2017, 08:37 AM
I have been perusing the Lansing Heritage forums today, and just found this thread: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?39370-Flippers-and-Worse. I realized that my post this morning might not be welcomed by long time members and Lansing devotees.

So, full disclosure: As mentioned in my original post, I am a newbie. And, as feared in the post above, my motives are not pure (although, in the long run, they might turn out to be!)

- I might buy the speakers referenced in my original post, clean them up, do a better job marketing them, and flip them for a quick buck. I am, at my core, a filthy capitalist.

- I might buy the speakers, add the missing driver and crossover, clean them up, and flip them for a bigger quick buck. Same comment as above re: capitalism.

- I may buy the speakers, connect them to my system, cue up some Gershwin or Coltrane or Steely Dan and say WOW! and keep them as the centerpiece of my vintage system. My home is mid-century modern through and through, so the Lustig design of the C40s appeals to me greatly. I'd handicap this as the most likely scenario at this particular moment, in which case I will become a lifelong member of this forum and ongoing contributor, but no promises.

All of this hinges on whether the cabinets are original or reproductions, something I don't have the expertise to discern. I'm hopeful someone here will be of help in this regard. Thanks in advance!

rdgrimes
08-30-2017, 08:47 AM
There's nothing wrong with flipping them. I can't say about the cabinets, but in truth there are more home-made and kit-built cabinets in the wild than originals. the market for them is limited.

Bottom line, don't buy them planning for a quick buck. But as a project based on a love for old gear as a hobby, why not?

SEAWOLF97
08-30-2017, 09:19 AM
....in truth there are more home-made and kit-built cabinets in the wild than originals...

could you plse cite a reference for that ?

PersonalTriumph
08-30-2017, 12:05 PM
...in truth there are more home-made and kit-built cabinets in the wild than originals. the market for them is limited.

Based on this feedback I went back and took a closer look at lunchtime. I'm pretty sure they are not original. I read somewhere that the originals weighed more than 100 pounds...these definitely do not. The originals were 38" wide - these are 40". The originals are supposed to be 29" tall with legs, these were 24". The back panel on the original is two sections, this was one. But even more than all that, the build on it was hinky. Things didn't quite line up right, There were different types of wood used on the internals of the two cabinets (one of them was just plain plywood spray painted black.) Etc etc. It's a pass.

Thanks for your feedback friend. I appreciate it.

PersonalTriumph
08-30-2017, 12:23 PM
A stranger asking favors?...You violate the spirit of brotherhood by presuming upon it.

So, if I was new to your town, and lost, and I asked you for directions or recommendations for a good restaurant to eat at, your response would be indignation? "YOU VIOLATE THE SPIRIT OF THE BROTHERHOOD OF THOSE OF US WHO HAVE LIVED IN NORTHERN CALIFORNIA FOR YEAR/DECADES/MILLENNIA! WE KNOW OUR WAY AROUND HERE, AND ALL THE FINE RESTAURANTS - FIGURE IT OUT ON YOUR OWN! YOUR MOTHER IS A HAMSTER AND YOUR FATHER SMELLS OF ELDERBERRIES!"

That's sad. But not entirely surprising.

In addition, I presumed nothing. I was entirely transparent about my reason for posting my question. A forum member can choose to answer (if they want to be helpful to a lost newcomer trying to find his way around town, like RDGrimes) or not answer (like many others) or engage in d-baggery (as you did.)

Peace out.

rdgrimes
08-30-2017, 02:00 PM
Based on this feedback I went back and took a closer look at lunchtime. I'm pretty sure they are not original. I read somewhere that the originals weighed more than 100 pounds...these definitely do not. The originals were 38" wide - these are 40". The originals are supposed to be 29" tall with legs, these were 24". The back panel on the original is two sections, this was one. But even more than all that, the build on it was hinky. Things didn't quite line up right, There were different types of wood used on the internals of the two cabinets (one of them was just plain plywood spray painted black.) Etc etc. It's a pass.

Sure. They still may be worth more than is being asked. The components have value for sure (working). Still if you're not just a fan who enjoys working on the gear, its likely not worth your time and $. There's a lot of that stuff on eBay if you want to research values.

1audiohack
08-30-2017, 03:13 PM
... No, I'm not your friend.

Jeez!

RedCoat23
08-30-2017, 09:17 PM
Jeez!

Since I don't believe I can 'like' a post
I believe audiohack, you and I have had a conversation in the past in an older thread about helping the strangers on the forum who are just looking for technical support for flipping. I stand by my original statement that I just don't engage - it's not something I want to spend my time on - that's just a personal choice YMMV. That said your pic brought a full on belly laugh, with more than a little concern that the comment was not so wide of of the 'personal' mark... so thank you for the moment of levity :applaud::blink:

Mr. Widget
08-31-2017, 09:38 AM
Sure. They still may be worth more than is being asked...
Still if you're not just a fan who enjoys working on the gear, its likely not worth your time and $. +1

I stand by my original statement that I just don't engage - it's not something I want to spend my time on - that's just a personal choice YMMV.I think that is the best policy if you are not interested in or believe in helping out people who do not share our interest. That said, I think education is always good... and if I have the time and knowledge I have no problem sharing that knowledge regardless of the motives of the poster. Also, once you learn about this stuff, a newbie may develop an appreciation for it and become one of us... not likely to happen often as we are a twisted breed. :banghead:

...That said your pic brought a full on belly laugh, with more than a little concern that the comment was not so wide of of the 'personal' mark... so thank you for the moment of levity :applaud::blink::bouncy:

Widget

Johnny_Law
08-31-2017, 10:23 AM
Its a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off for em ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311949768693

grumpy
08-31-2017, 12:51 PM
DIY's were big back then too... perhaps more so, as plans were available.

SEAWOLF97
08-31-2017, 04:50 PM
[QUOTE=Johnny_Law;408185]Its a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off for em ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311949768693

IF it was my auction, I would stress that there is only one bullet tweeter.

Many bidding on cell phones may not be able to see that detail on a small screen.

SEAWOLF97
08-31-2017, 04:56 PM
I'm pretty sure they are not original. I read somewhere that the originals weighed more than 100 pounds...these definitely do not. The originals were 38" wide - these are 40".

but in the auction they are back to abt 100.
"Or if you use you ship my zip is 74104 and they weigh about 100 pounds each I'm guessing. "

BMWCCA
08-31-2017, 06:32 PM
They do each have a JBL badge on them.
The badges were supplied in the JBL speaker enclosure construction kit for the DIY guys.

Earl K
09-06-2017, 11:52 AM
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/HKMAAOSw7pNZpwA8/s-l1600.jpg

Nice ( aesthetic design & treatment of the ) Grills ( setup ) I must state!

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/GpsAAOSwhLJZpwAx/s-l1600.jpg

I don't engage much in fly-by appraisals ( so I usually avoid the personal issues involved ).

( OTOH ) many times there are little benefits to be gleaned ( even for us seasoned veterans ) when observing the building details adopted by others.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/kUgAAOSwlWFZpwBC/s-l1600.jpg

:)

dadofshane
10-21-2017, 01:47 PM
It will be nine years that I've enjoyed the audio heritage site. I am fortunate to have been introduced to the D130 in 1967 because it was a good, or great guitar speaker. We bought reconed speakers at the local music store because they were way less money, I think about $50. Even more saving were the Altec 418 that also sounded great. So I was lucky to be introduced to great speakers when they didn't cost tens of thousands like they do now. I can imagine a new person to this site in today's world, maybe never heard a 15 inch Lansing speaker. In this thread I'm hearing things like "first responder"... which I'm not sure if responder is a real word, but we hear it every week in the news. Is there recognition or a prize for being first? Should we not trust anyone by answering any questions until you know their motives and are approved? I have always thought that this site was friendly, and I still do, but it seems there is a let's not be too friendly vibe going around. I never read the rules to this site. The new person, who maybe instigated this post, did read the rules, and figured out he may be breaking them, and asked about it. That's more than I have done. Let me know if I'm breaking the rules?, or is it against the rules to ask? I believe when you are friendly, you attract friendliness. If not, it's their loss. I have found that many people interested in listening to music likes to hear about hifi from the golden age, especially JBL. Maybe I'm just a dreamer... My son might look into this site, if it's still around when I am gone. He may wonder what his dad left him and look for experts. Should I be concerned and advise him to be careful what he says if he comes to this site? I don't really think so, but correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks to all for almost a decade of priceless information from this site that I hope will continue.

grumpy
10-21-2017, 07:13 PM
Welcome aboard! A fondness for music and past history/legacy products will fit right in.

As to your other questions... It’s the internet. This place has incredibly experienced folks who often will try to guide or help, as well as opinionated “grumps”, a few incorrigibles, but mostly people trying to learn and try things (extreme DIY to near museum quality restorations)... and share common interests and experiences.

Put on a healthy BS filter, don’t take things personally, don’t try to take advantage, and enjoy.