PDA

View Full Version : Jbl 4355

focalguy
08-16-2017, 09:47 PM
Hi all,
I know this has been discussed on the forums to a great extent... but does anyone have a clear schematic of the original crossover with the alternative to the tapped coils.... with l_pads....????? it would be nice to have an original schematic finalized with the new calculated figures without at tapped coil. Looking for the schematic to just read and build. I just want to keep my build true to the original and simple...

Also a clear schematic of a charged coupled version is hard to sort out as i have not found a clean final version also... I have built the 4355's ... two pairs of sort and i want to build both.
thanks so much.

focalguy
08-16-2017, 09:49 PM
maybe Ian, Giskard, or Widget can comment as you gents seem to be the final word on these things.

Mannermusic
08-17-2017, 08:00 AM
Hi all,
I know this has been discussed on the forums to a great extent... but does anyone have a clear schematic of the original crossover with the alternative to the tapped coils.... with l_pads....????? it would be nice to have an original schematic finalized with the new calculated figures without at tapped coil. Looking for the schematic to just read and build. I just want to keep my build true to the original and simple...

Also a clear schematic of a charged coupled version is hard to sort out as i have not found a clean final version also... I have built the 4355's ... two pairs of sort and i want to build both.
thanks so much.

It's in Giskard's 4345 development thread. In the database. He went through a couple ideas but the final version is towards the end of the of the thread. He posted the "charge coupled" version but the standard, single cap, version is functionally identical - just revise the capacitors; 16 + 16 = 8. I did the std. take (single caps) and it works just fine, sounds good enough that I have yet to bother with the "CC" upgrade (have the parts in stock - procrastinating!). Others did the CC version with equal success. Personal choice - a winner.

P.S. Again, thanks Dr. G.

focalguy
08-17-2017, 03:58 PM
thanks.... could you post the link please ....or message me ....i have not been able to locate it, I have been looking all morning through the threads.

It's in Giskard's 4345 development thread. In the database. He went through a couple ideas but the final version is towards the end of the of the thread. He posted the "charge coupled" version but the standard, single cap, version is functionally identical - just revise the capacitors; 16 + 16 = 8. I did the std. take (single caps) and it works just fine, sounds good enough that I have yet to bother with the "CC" upgrade (have the parts in stock - procrastinating!). Others did the CC version with equal success. Personal choice - a winner.

P.S. Again, thanks Dr. G.

Ian Mackenzie
08-17-2017, 04:32 PM
thanks.... could you post the link please ....or message me ....i have not been able to locate it, I have been looking all morning through the threads.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?38757-Equivalent-3155-4355-network&p=395729&viewfull=1#post395729

I am not 100% certain it's the final version but it's a charge coupled schematic

Mannermusic
08-17-2017, 05:25 PM

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?27199-DIY-quot-4345-quot-Project/page8

(http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?27199-DIY-quot-4345-quot-Project)

Triumph Don
08-17-2017, 05:42 PM
These are my speakers. Wanted the sound more like the 4343 than the 4344, and with this crossover I got what I wanted. Maybe to bright for some?

Mannermusic
08-17-2017, 05:43 PM
The schematic is on page 8 of the thread. Good luck - but this is the original version. You can go from here.

focalguy
08-17-2017, 07:16 PM
thanks all for pointing me in the right direction , I found the GT and Giskard original version but there is the 2010 version from TECHbot.....which is better as you can charge couple both or reconfigure the caps for non charged? Has anyone compared them? I am leaning towards the GT and Giskard version based on the fact Greg worked on these. Thanks

The schematic is on page 8 of the thread. Good luck - but this is the original version. You can go from here.

ivica
08-18-2017, 02:38 AM
thanks all for pointing me in the right direction , I found the GT and Giskard original version but there is the 2010 version from TECHbot.....which is better as you can charge couple both or reconfigure the caps for non charged? Has anyone compared them? I am leaning towards the GT and Giskard version based on the fact Greg worked on these. Thanks

or schematic here
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=46834&stc=1&d=1280446056

focalguy
08-18-2017, 08:30 AM
thanks Ivica.... so which schematic is better..... the link you provided or the GT and Giskard version....? i dont want to make both versions to test it out. Any insight would be super helpful.they are similar but the inductor and resistor values are different for the 2441/2405.

or schematic here
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=46834&stc=1&d=1280446056

focalguy
08-19-2017, 04:53 PM
thanks all, have decided to build the 2010 version but not charge coupled.I can do that down the road. Thanks again for all the support this community provides. In the age of bluetooth and wifi streaming soundbars... its hard to believe the direction sound reproduction is taking. I will post some pictures of the build once complete.

thanks Ivica.... so which schematic is better..... the link you provided or the GT and Giskard version....? i dont want to make both versions to test it out. Any insight would be super helpful.they are similar but the inductor and resistor values are different for the 2441/2405.

ivica
08-20-2017, 01:45 AM
thanks all, have decided to build the 2010 version but not charge coupled.I can do that down the road. Thanks again for all the support this community provides. In the age of bluetooth and wifi streaming soundbars... its hard to believe the direction sound reproduction is taking. I will post some pictures of the build once complete.

Hi,

May be 0.160mH, can be changed to 0.120mH....but You can decide by experiments...
and read
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?24283-4344-Mk-II-network&p=247755&viewfull=1#post247755

regards
ivica

berga12
08-21-2017, 05:14 AM
Original:

Charge-coupled with simulated L-pad:

You can do that schematic above by dividing Capacitors to have a "single capacitor" crossover, not charge-coupled.

Equivalent with substitution of Tapped transformer

Another version(the same as above with commercial values) <-- this seems the closest version to the original from sound point of view.

Every version is Valid and working fine (most of the Replica on this forum have one of this version above) some user build both and just says that the "charge-coupled" or with single Capacitor sound a bit more Open/brilliant, the last equivalent with the 2 coils in substitution to tapped transformer sound more "flat" and neutral.

I hope the collections of the filter is complete now....

if you have a CLIO board, or measurement system and technical background you can decide to build your own crossover based on your need.

focalguy
08-23-2017, 03:37 PM
thanks for the summary of cross over designs.... lastly has anyone done a passive network for 2 @ 2235s wired in parallel for a load of 4 ohms and at cut off at 400 to 500 HZ?

thanks...

Original:

Charge-coupled with simulated L-pad:

You can do that schematic above by dividing Capacitors to have a "single capacitor" crossover, not charge-coupled.

Equivalent with substitution of Tapped transformer

Another version(the same as above with commercial values) <-- this seems the closest version to the original from sound point of view.

Every version is Valid and working fine (most of the Replica on this forum have one of this version above) some user build both and just says that the "charge-coupled" or with single Capacitor sound a bit more Open/brilliant, the last equivalent with the 2 coils in substitution to tapped transformer sound more "flat" and neutral.

I hope the collections of the filter is complete now....

if you have a CLIO board, or measurement system and technical background you can decide to build your own crossover based on your need.

Ian Mackenzie
08-23-2017, 06:21 PM
No this is not an option

The 4350 is a biamp only design, the brain child of Walter Dick and developed by Pat Everidge. Ed May designed the new 2230 woofer, the first to use acquaplas coating and the 2202 mid driver.

Attempting to use a passive crossover to the dual woofers would technically compromise and significantly impair the performance of this design.

You can of course try it as a diy project but don't refer to it as a Jbl 4350 as this will only confuse other readers when they do google search of the JBL 4350

focalguy
08-24-2017, 11:02 PM
Ian, understood.....it was only an idea for my vertical version of the 4355's..cheers.

No this is not an option

The 4350 is a biamp only design, the brain child of Walter Dick and developed by Pat Everidge. Ed May designed the new 2230 woofer, the first to use acquaplas coating and the 2202 mid driver.

Attempting to use a passive crossover to the dual woofers would technically compromise and significantly impair the performance of this design.

You can of course try it as a diy project but don't refer to it as a Jbl 4350 as this will only confuse other readers when they do google search of the JBL 4350

jblsauce
07-01-2018, 04:00 AM
thanks for the summary of cross over designs.... lastly has anyone done a passive network for 2 @ 2235s wired in parallel for a load of 4 ohms and at cut off at 400 to 500 HZ?

thanks...

Hi folks, I have completed assembly on my 4355 clones and have all drivers mounted in the boxes and now at the final hurdle of crossover.

I have decided to go with the above (updated) schematic, I would like to get ordering parts but I am a bit confused on exact component values, for example, what dcr should the inductors be? what voltage rating for the caps and what wattage the resistors?

Please forgive my ignorance (novice on this kind of thing)

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Regards