PDA

View Full Version : two 8 inch woofers or one 15

mr clean
07-20-2017, 09:02 AM
Im going to put together a pair of speakers and the more I read the more confused I get. Im not going to get into this driver or that yet but wondering what two 8s would add or subtract from the overall sound and have the same question about the single 15. Im thinking mids may be better using the 8s but bass maybe the edge goes to the single bigger driver. Help me here guys! Im wanting a 19 clone but want to be sure before I proceed. Im a rookie and thanks in advance

Grizzog
07-20-2017, 09:43 AM
If you're looking to equal the radiating area, 3 - 8" would more closely match with a 15". Beyond driver size, there are many additional considerations to be made when building a speaker, but I will let those more knowledgeable than I help with that.

hsosdrum
07-20-2017, 03:06 PM
More drivers covering the same frequency band = additional (differing) arrival times at the ear = less accurate reproduction (introduction of comb filtering, reduced sonic detail, etc.).

All other things being equal, covering a single frequency band with fewer drivers is always preferable to covering it with more drivers.

Dave M
07-21-2017, 09:20 AM
My advice is, listen carefully many different woofers until you start hearing the characteristics of those 2 different topologies. Play your favorite music both quietly and loudly. No one would ever know which you prefer, 15 or 8x2. It is the same thing as horn vs dome HF driver. Some prefer A and the other prefer B.

Well, I like 15" better in general like many other in this forum, but remember, this is a Lansing forum.