PDA

View Full Version : Heat dissipation Altec valve power amps?

oldbrowndog
07-19-2017, 07:06 PM
Hi, I have a pair of Altec 1569a power amps built into some timber boxes just like the ones in the picture77583 attached.
Can anyone comment as to whether they will run too hot and shorten valve life etc etc.. any other issues..
Or should be fine?
I could potentially hook up some computer fans at the back.. or drill holes in the top.. though neither are ideal for obvious reasons.
Just concerned.

Hoerninger
07-20-2017, 01:14 AM
Valves will produce a lot of heat which nust be dissipated, Too much heat will shorten valves lifetime.

Fans might be a solution, but the valves should not be in a direct air stream.

What about perforated grid on top and in the back?

the pic shows how they did it before.

oldbrowndog
07-20-2017, 07:29 AM
thanks Peter, the back is actually open not sealed, but the valves sit quite deep in the box as it is around 16 inches deep so i fear that wont offer much heat escape.I am loathe to put holes through the top of the unit or sink a mesh into it, but if i must I will.. I suppose these ones in the picture i posted (like mine) were done out of form over function...
Valves will produce a lot of heat which nust be dissipated, Too much heat will shorten valves lifetime.Fans might be a solution, but the valves should not be in a direct air stream.What about perforated grid on top and in the back?the pic shows how they did it before.77588____________Peter