PDA

View Full Version : JBL L110 restoration

z-adamson
07-17-2017, 04:02 PM
Just picked up a pair of the L110. Looking to restore to them to their former glory.

Here are some problems I will have to overcome:

There is a little bit of damage to the wood that will need to be addressed. I will post pics.

Two of the grill pegs are missing. Looking to replace. How do they come out and where can replacements be had?

The grill will need to be reclothed. Is there an identical cloth out there?

z-adamson
07-17-2017, 04:03 PM
The mids and woofers will need to be reconed as well.

z-adamson
07-17-2017, 04:17 PM
Question.....

Is the port for the woofer supposed to be bent? Looking at pics online, I see a bent bass port. Mine is not bent, it is straight.

Is something wrong with mine or did they make them both ways?

Odd
07-17-2017, 11:50 PM
There are two variants L 110 and L 110A
Different bass elements. LE 111A - LE 111H

Chris Brown
07-18-2017, 10:36 AM
How bad are the woofers and mids? You might be able to save some money doing a re-foam on the woofers instead of a re-cone. And while a professional re-cone (with authentic JBL parts) might be the best in the end as far as getting the woofer to original specs, a re-cone with incorrect parts or aftermarket parts will probably be worse than a re-foam in that regard.

Are the tweeters okay? They are by-far the most fragile driver in the speaker. Seems odd for the woofer and Mid to be damaged, but not the tweeter, unless you are just talking about the foam on the woofer.

The port being bent shouldn't be a problem necessarily. Does it look original or does it look like someone messed with it after the fact? You can adjust the tuning of the speaker by adjusting the port tube, so it's always a possibility that someone tried to do exactly that.

LRBacon
07-22-2017, 11:19 AM
You apparently have a pair of original L110s not the L110A. The L110A had the curved port and the letters "A" & "H" either die stamped or printed after the serial number on the foil cal. Good luck in trying to find JBL oem recone kits for the LE111A woofers, they have been discontinued for several years now. I don't think you will find recone kits for the LE5-10 either. Your best would be eBay for used LE5-10, LE5-12 or LE5-6. If the surround is only problem with the LE111A woofers you can always refoam them. You might be able to locate grille cloth that is similar but the frames are a real bear to get apart so one can install new cloth.

Larry