PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever seen a degaussed JBL 2241H (18")?

GordonW
07-10-2017, 02:50 PM
I have a JBL 2241H here, that I'm trying to sort of build a "frankenwoofer" from. Got someone who wants a woofer with the response of a 2245, but with the power handling of a 2241.

We got the frame without a kit in it- problem is, no matter what kit I put in it (even one with the correct factory 2241 voice coil), I get a BL product that's about 2/3 of normal (between 12 and 13, where it should be between 19 and 20). I can understand other parameters being different (different cone weight, different suspension stiffness and such)- but the BL product should be a function of the magnetic gap strength and the coil winding geometry, and nothing else.

Has anyone see one of these ceramic magnet vented gap woofers degauss? I would assume they could be re-gaussed... but I just have never seen a CERAMIC magnet JBL do this before...

Regards,
Gordon.

FE3T
07-23-2017, 06:39 PM
I have a JBL 2241H here, that I'm trying to sort of build a "frankenwoofer" from. Got someone who wants a woofer with the response of a 2245, but with the power handling of a 2241.

We got the frame without a kit in it- problem is, no matter what kit I put in it (even one with the correct factory 2241 voice coil), I get a BL product that's about 2/3 of normal (between 12 and 13, where it should be between 19 and 20). I can understand other parameters being different (different cone weight, different suspension stiffness and such)- but the BL product should be a function of the magnetic gap strength and the coil winding geometry, and nothing else.

Has anyone see one of these ceramic magnet vented gap woofers degauss? I would assume they could be re-gaussed... but I just have never seen a CERAMIC magnet JBL do this before...

Regards,
Gordon.

Strange. i measured 4 2206H and all of them was betwin 17,5 and 18 (believe oem specs says 18. and all of these showed signs of high heat and corrosion. Even the 2226/2235 I tried to put together with a after market 2235, cone, C spider and a Mc Cauley 25mm coil showed 20+. (sadly enough QES was far to high and throwed everything off, resulting in a driver needing 350L sealed)

Are you sure there are no mechanical problems with the motor structure? like cracks in the ferrite or signs of a realigned magnet structure? (shifted and repaired with lots of glue)