PDA

View Full Version : Is a cabaret 4612B worth repairing?

saladaddy
07-10-2017, 04:48 AM
I got one of these for free going through a storage unit that was going to get closed on. I figure I could make a profit off it if I get it working again. One of the drivers appears to be out, and it looks like the inner circuitry is messed up (looks like some components are burnt, somebody wired in their own fuse in the back).

I don't know much about diagnosing and troubleshooting circuits but I want to take this as an opportunity to start somewhere, considering it's a super simple passive unit.

It's just a single unit, it doesn't have a matching brother. But on ebay I see a pair going for $250.

I was wondering if I should replace the 2118J's that come with it with another speaker, or do any other upgrades. Any ideas help!

gdmoore28
07-13-2017, 10:43 AM
You'll need to be a skilled magician to make this project turn out to be profitable, Saladaddy. Considering that nice pairs of the Cabaret sell for $250/pr on ebay, you will be very lucky to sell a single for $100 - in perfect condition.

I think you'd be much better off selling the horn, the one working woofer, the dead woofer, and the cabinet separately. This is one of those situations where selling parts is the only sensible way to go. Considering you got them for free, anything you make will be profit. I'd settle at that and go away happy.

GeeDeeEmm