PDA

View Full Version : McCauley 456 Horn Lens?

robertg
07-01-2017, 09:16 AM
Does anyone know anything about McCauley 456 horns? I did a search and couldn't come up with much. They look like 2395 horns, but the seller says they appear to be 20" wide. I was wondering how low they can go?

Lee in Montreal
07-01-2017, 02:23 PM
The 2395 should be a tad under 36" wide. The width of a JBL 4520

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/Lee_Vuong/JBL%20parts%20factory/DSCN0961.jpg

At 20" wide, perhaps they are the smaller McCauley patterned after the JBL 2390. The 2395 was an 800Hz horn without the baffle. Then a 500Hz horn with the rear baffle if I remember correctly.

Horn Fanatic
07-01-2017, 03:33 PM
Does anyone know anything about McCauley 456 horns? I did a search and couldn't come up with much. They look like 2395 horns, but the seller says they appear to be 20" wide. I was wondering how low they can go?

Greetings -

Per the brochure:

The McCauley 456 acoustical lens is 9.2 inches high by 20 inches wide by 5 inches deep, with a 130 degree by 40 degree dispersion pattern, and is listed as an 800 Hz crossover point. The 2 inch entry horn is 5.75 inches high by 7.8 inches wide by 7.8 inches deep.

The 485 horn / lens assembly is 30 inches wide, and is listed as a 500 Hz crossover point.

Good luck

HF

robertg
07-01-2017, 03:55 PM
Thanks, in the picture they look just like the 2395, but I guess they are a mini version. If I want something that goes to 500hz I need the 485. I was hoping the seller couldn't estimate his dimensions.

Here's a picture, I'm looking at a pair with Gauss drivers. They go for a lot less than JBL.

Horn Fanatic
07-01-2017, 04:30 PM
Thanks, in the picture they look just like the 2395, but I guess they are a mini version. If I want something that goes to 500hz I need the 485. I was hoping the seller couldn't estimate his dimensions.

Here's a picture, I'm looking at a pair with Gauss drivers. They go for a lot less than JBL.

Gauss made exceptional drivers. Too bad Telex murdered the company. Not quite sure if you can find original replacement diaphragms for the motors. Bill Hanuschak washed his hands of all the Gauss parts he acquired when Telex sold ALTEC off.

HF

P.S. Even more rare horn / lens assemblies are those that were manufactured by D.A.S. I have a pair of the McCauley 455 horn / lens assemblies. I plan to strip the paint off the lens' and have them anodized gold. Shiny speakers sound better. LoL!

JimR
07-03-2017, 12:55 AM
Hi Guys,

Can any one educate an (elderly) newbie?

What are these weird slotted things? 'Lenses' I presume?

I understand (roughly) what a conventional horn does, but what do these do? Why do they seem to point towards the floor? Do they change the direction of the sound waves as a lens bends light? Are they a legacy technology no longer used in new kit?

Just a link would be good.

Thanks.

Jim.

robertg
07-03-2017, 05:17 AM
http://www.diyaudio.rs/JBL/JBL%20-%20The%20Acoustical%20Lens%20(1962).pdf

JimR
07-03-2017, 11:51 AM
Thank you Robert.

Read the article and now feel I have some understanding.

Isn't science counterintuitive!? Would never have guessed the function from the form.

Jim.

martin2395
10-19-2023, 01:40 PM
What was the connection between McCauley and JBL back in the day, the McCauley drivers look very much like tweaked / uprated JBL?
https://reverb.com/item/1818170-mccauley-6244-15-high-performance-speaker-woofer-tested

Also curious about DAS and Beyma, both look like JBL knockoffs.

RMC
10-22-2023, 12:32 AM
Hi Martin,

I have most of the McCauley info, including for their old 1000 series.

In terms of general appearance i agree that some McCauley drivers may look like or so to JBLs. However this doesn't mean they're actually the same. For example, McCauley uses a Multi-Spider suspension system. On such a woofer internal view pic i counted four spiders "piled up" together so it seems! (among other things the drivers have).

That's quite a few spiders and they have reasons for doing this, mentioned in the catalog, mostly related to reliability, high powers and suspension fatigue. Regarding Gauss Eargle's Loudspeaker Handbook refers to "...added stability during high excursion operation." (p.34). The same also applies to McCauley's way in my view.

Which brings the power aspect. If my memory is correct i think McCauley was second to implement the 400 watt woofer, thereby competing with the Gauss double spider suspension woofer. Though the former doubled their spider number.

I think JBL might have been third in releasing a 400 Watts woofer?

Richard