PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a pair of L54's - anyone know anything about these?

hanfrac
05-29-2017, 08:57 PM
I was buying some other equipment from a local guy and he threw in a pair of L54's in really nice condition for their age. I've searched around, but can't find much info about these speakers. Does anyone know anything about them? I can't imagine they do bass particularly well, as they are a single driver with a passive radiator. I've seen some optimistic old listings on ebay asking $1000+ for these, but they don't seem to sell.

Any info would be welcome. 77053

edgewound
05-29-2017, 10:28 PM
I was buying some other equipment from a local guy and he threw in a pair of L54's in really nice condition for their age. I've searched around, but can't find much info about these speakers. Does anyone know anything about them? I can't imagine they do bass particularly well, as they are a single driver with a passive radiator. I've seen some optimistic old listings on ebay asking $1000+ for these, but they don't seem to sell.

Any info would be welcome. 77053

LE8T plus PR8 is a collector novelty in vintage terms...A Period Piece.

Sound-wise, the Lansalloy surrounds will provide near zero bass due to suspension stiffness. Fidelity is akin to between an AM and FM radio.

That's my completely honest assessment. Even with new foam surrounds, the fidelity is mediocre at best, and that's being generous.

I must add that your pair looks to be in amazing condition. If I remember correctly, a feature of the L54 was the ability to hang them on the wall. I seem to remember a pair that I had in the shop years ago with a bracket on the back for wall mount.

hanfrac
06-01-2017, 05:21 PM
These are in great condition for 50 year old speakers. Here are some more pictures. I haven't attempted to clean them up yet, but expect them to clean up nicely. The surrounds are stiff, but appear intact to me. I could try the DOT3 brake fluid trick to soften them up. These do hang on the walls and the mounting hardware is on the backs.

I doubt these are long-term speakers for me. I'm sort of wondering if they have any collector value, either for the drivers or as whole speakers.

LE8T plus PR8 is a collector novelty in vintage terms...A Period Piece.

Sound-wise, the Lansalloy surrounds will provide near zero bass due to suspension stiffness. Fidelity is akin to between an AM and FM radio.

That's my completely honest assessment. Even with new foam surrounds, the fidelity is mediocre at best, and that's being generous.

I must add that your pair looks to be in amazing condition. If I remember correctly, a feature of the L54 was the ability to hang them on the wall. I seem to remember a pair that I had in the shop years ago with a bracket on the back for wall mount.

hanfrac
06-01-2017, 05:24 PM
more pics