PDA

View Full Version : Ventlation gap grill removal

opstuiter
05-24-2017, 03:25 AM
Hello to you all,

First of all I'm new here, and I hope one of You is willing to help me out. I have this question about the possibility of removing a rather heavily damaged raster or grill, the one that sits over the ventilationgap on the back of - in my case - a JBL 2245H driver. It's seems to be mounted under the round silver JBL type shield, and as I wrote, it's damaged in a rather bad way. There is no mechanical damage done to the speaker itself, but now I would like to remove this ugly looking grill. Now I've seen lot's of JBL drivers on pictures without a type shield and having no grill at all (just a big round open gap), and that's OK whith me. So now I would like to know wheter (and how to) it's possible to remove this grill. If that means the typeshield will come to it's end also, so be it. For nothing on the back of the speaker at all, is better to me than this kind of visual damage. I also have a 2220H driver having the same problem, so I would be very happy to here from any of You about a possible solution. For Your information: I bought them this way, and I didn't dropped them myself. I allways take great care for my JBL drivers. Thank's for reading.

Greats,

Opstuiter, Amsterdam

1audiohack
05-24-2017, 07:55 AM
Hi there and welcome to Lansing Heritage.

If you are carefull you can likely pry the name plate off without damage. In any event the screen is under the name plate and they are glued on and just pull off.

All the best,
Barry.

RMC
05-24-2017, 10:41 AM
"... having no grill at all (just a big round open gap), and that's OK whith me."

Is there a dust protection foam under the screen inside the driver back vent ? If not, I would not leave that "big round open gap" hole like that since you may end up with dust, particules or even fiberglass wool tiny bits from box damping material making their way to the driver gap, and that can eventually affect driver performance... If the screen was the only protection from "garbage" going inside the driver, then I would glue over the back vent a piece of slightly stretched speaker grill cloth to prevent unwanted stuff from entering that hole, which at the same time will permit ventilation. Unless you can find another similar screen to replace the damaged one. Personnaly, even with a foam Inside, I would still glue a piece of speaker grill cloth over the back vent because I wouldn't want to clean dirt on that fragile foam inside...

Richard

Mannermusic
05-24-2017, 01:06 PM
"... having no grill at all (just a big round open gap), and that's OK whith me."

Is there a dust protection foam under the screen inside the driver back vent ? If not, I would not leave that "big round open gap" hole like that since you may end up with dust, particules or even fiberglass wool tiny bits from box damping material making their way to the driver gap, and that can eventually affect driver performance... If the screen was the only protection from "garbage" going inside the driver, then I would glue over the back vent a piece of slightly stretched speaker grill cloth to prevent unwanted stuff from entering that hole, which at the same time will permit ventilation. Unless you can find another similar screen to replace the damaged one. Personnaly, even with a foam Inside, I would still glue a piece of speaker grill cloth over the back vent because I wouldn't want to clean dirt on that fragile foam inside...

Richard

Yes, I would say definitely put a filter in there - have seen several drivers become siezed in the gap with ambient dirt. We have had good luck using hot air register filter matl. (Purafilter 2000).

RMC
05-24-2017, 07:58 PM
If the previous posts have not yet convinced you to cover the back vent from ambient dirt with an appropriate material, remember that you ARE dealing with THE favorite air mover 2245H 18 " driver, which does move a LOT of air and with it everything it contains... Probability of a future siezed gap therefore increases.

Richard