PDA

View Full Version : Bad Crown Amps?

Triumph Don
12-14-2004, 07:27 PM
I remember a while back a member had problems/negative comments on the Crown CE series amps. I am looking at a CE 1000 or 2000. Any thoughts, experiences, opinions?

Ken Pachkowsky
12-14-2004, 08:28 PM
I have used the old D series crowns but none of the ce's. Crown has had a great rep over the years. I would stick with the studio series however. The Reference series or K series. These are designed specificly for Hi-Fi or Studio use. I would love some K1 or K2's. Unfortunately, my system requires far to many amps to go that route at this time. I have been very happy with AB International amps to date. Haflers are great too.

For the record. I think others would agree here that there are plenty of decent amps around. Crate, AB, QSC etc.

Just my 2 cents. Others may disagree.

scott fitlin
12-14-2004, 08:43 PM
Basically, these are crowns affordable amps. They sound good, my service techs say they are designed using the some of the circuit topologies of the DC-300,s, but with more protection, surface mount technology components, and of course, unlike the DC-300 they are not direct coupled.

To me they sound good, nice, solid, tight Crown bass, but many I know say they dont hold up under hard use! They have clip limiters, but they tell me if you push them too hard they fizzle on you! Sound contractors I know, who i have asked about these amps, all tell me they are good for mids, but not heavy duty enough for demanding LF use.

If they should break, and Ive seen them in the techs shop, they are difficult to work on, thanks to the tiny surface mount componentry.

Of course, this refers to commercial use of the amps, you might be OK, using them in a home installation, but they do have fans!

If you do decide to use these, they are available with either binding posts, or speakon output connections, I would make sure you specify what you want! I would also try to get one and audition it, and see what you think.

You can get a Crown CE-1000 brand new for around $495, as compared to other crown lines that are considerably more expensive for the same amount of power! So you gotta take this into account!

What type of application do you want to use them for and which model are you looking at!

scott fitlin
12-14-2004, 08:48 PM
Don how much power are you looking for? Another possibility is to PM Yuri, and buy a PSS Audio amplifier!

They sound really good, they are most definitely rock solid reliable, I ran it in my place, it dont quit!

Right now my PSS 1200 is on tour, going from RobH to Giskard, you might want to get on the audition list and try this baby out!

Triumph Don
12-14-2004, 09:10 PM
This is for the bottom end of a bi amp project with my 4343's. McIntosh 2125 on top. Bought a Crown PS 2 from a member that has developed some serious hums. As soon as my cables arrive, I will first try my old DC 300 with an old JBL 5234 crossover. The CE 1000 seems like a good fit, and it's new!

pelly3s
12-14-2004, 09:54 PM
I would spend the extra money for a k1 or k2 for your lows. I sell Crown and QSC amps and it's pretty much all I ever use. You could also look into Stewart amps or even the ART SLA-2 if you wanna save some money.

Alex Lancaster
12-14-2004, 10:38 PM
:) You get what You pay for; For Hi Fi, use K1/2´s or better, for commercial applications the CE´s etc should be OK; I´ve been abusing a K2 for over a year, driving 4 2245H´s, with no problems.

scott fitlin
12-15-2004, 09:21 AM
I would spend the extra money for a k1 or k2 for your lows. I sell Crown and QSC amps and it's pretty much all I ever use. You could also look into Stewart amps or even the ART SLA-2 if you wanna save some money.How do you rate the K2 against the macro tech 2402? Sonically, and reliability, fan noise is no concern of mine!

I heard the new I Techs the other day, they sound different, they are powerful, and seem clean, but a different sound character than Im used to hearing!

SteveW
12-15-2004, 02:30 PM
FYI guys.......no affill

New K1's currently sell for $1000.00 (my local store). Just today I saw K2's for $1250.00 via Platinum Records (google search)

Ebay K1's have been selling around $500-600, K2's $750.00

Triumph Don
12-15-2004, 04:32 PM
I can get a brand new CE 1000 for $404, shipped and no tax. How different do you all think it will sound just powering the woofers in the 4343's?

Robh3606
12-15-2004, 04:41 PM
Well all I can say is I use Crowns all around so I like them. I have not used the CE series. I have the older D 150 Series 2's that I use a pair of strapped to power my 4344 bottoms and they are just fine. Bass as solid as a rock. Can you return it??? Give it a listen and see what you think. You won't know till you do.

Rob:)

Ken Pachkowsky
12-15-2004, 04:53 PM
I must admit I have never auditioned these amps although I have heard they are a terrific amp for bottom end applications. I always like the sound of a DC-300A on the bottom end but found the mids and highs a bit harsh. IMHO Mosfet Haflers are damned nice on the high side. I don't own any haflers anymore but used to have a stable full of them.

Have any of you tried AB International's Amps? I am always amazed that these have very little press but a very strong cult following. I am quite happy with the many I have. Also, they can be had for a very good price on Ebay. I am currently switching out a few 600A's and a 400 to AB 280A's to conserve some rack space. They have a great bottom end and a smooth midrange as well.

Ken

scott fitlin
12-16-2004, 09:56 AM
Crowns make good sounding bass, they always did! The CE series will work, is good sounding bottom, and cleaner than a 300 into mids!

I love DC-300,s for bass, but, they are kind of grungy sounding in the high frequencies, and of course, if you need lots of power, you need two 300,s in bridge mono, they do sound great on subwoofers, 1 amp, 8 ohms bridge connected to one 18in sub! Direct coupled has a sound on the bottom!

AB amps, very good, very affordable, very reliable, good bass, and clean mids and highs!

K sereis! My neighbor uses this! makes a nice sounding bass, I dont care for the way they sound into the mids and highs, and my neighbor has them running full range! hes been using it for about two to 3 years now, no troubles, so they are reliable!

David Dryden
12-16-2004, 10:25 AM
I too am using a DC300A. It's bridged mono driving a single Sub1500. Sounds great!

Ken Pachkowsky
12-16-2004, 11:37 AM
AB amps, very good, very affordable, very reliable, good bass, and clean mids and highs!

Nice to see someone else endorse these amps!

Ken

Triumph Don
12-17-2004, 01:35 AM
Well I have a brand new CE 1000 on the way. Christ, $404 shipped. I have not bought a New amplifer in about 30 years, this will be fun! I mean nothing has to be cleaned, replaced, checked, oh wow! I will let you know how it sounds soon. Thanks Scotty...and all!

dieterj
12-17-2004, 02:15 AM
Now, i'm driving my sub(2245) with one K1 briged, and be very happy with this combi. I agree with other members, the K-Serie is very good for Bass,
but on the mid/highs on my 250ti, i prefer the Studio Reference.

The StudioRef is damn good on Bass alone - higher Dampingfactor :D

andresohc
12-18-2004, 10:30 PM
I have driven a 2245H in a large enclosure with one side of a DC300A for several years (before upgrading to a K2 driving a pair of SUB1500s:D ), it was fine. I have had the DC300A since 1982, gotta love Crown. I just picked up four Crown C8 speakers (along with a quad Sansui reciever, quad Sansui R to R and United Audio table all in excellent condition, all for $100 from my wife for Christmas) and am installing them in my garage for similar levels of overkill as the house. The sub1500s really needed the K2, the DC300A was crying for mercy. The 2245H sure was efficient but big.

Mike Caldwell
12-19-2004, 11:28 AM
Hello
Don't for get the Crown CE 4000 it's different amp all together
then the CE 1000 and 2000's. It more of what the K series of amps
are only with a cooling fan and more output power.
If a fan is not a problem QSC makes great amps in various power
levels and configurations.
As has been said AB makes good amps, a lot of their products are OEM
for other companies.
My home system is powered with a Hafler DH200 I built from a kit
about 23 years ago!

In my live sound production systems I use the Crown MA3600vz's on the
low end and QSC PL230's and PL218's for mids and highs.

Mike Caldwell

scott fitlin
12-19-2004, 02:15 PM
I heard the new I Tech series at a club which just got a brand new system, all JBL.

Without a doubt the I Techs are the most powerful amps I have ever heard! One I 4000 could run 4 sub1500,s and youd feel them a block away!

In the amp room the racks have 23 crown amps, 22 of them I Tech, and 1 lonely CTs running four tweeter arrays! With the rooms lights off, the I Techs LCD displays look O, so cool!

I have been listening to many techs and sound contractors say they dont like these amps, and to some degree they might be right, I didnt like them on mids, but on the bottom, they KICK! This is the future!

Right now, the models offered are too powerful for me, but supposedly, they are coming out with an I Tech 2000.

But, the power of this series is incredible!

:cool:

Mike Caldwell
12-20-2004, 06:15 PM
I wonder if Crown will come out with an amp that has the I Tech guts but without all of the front end DSP processing for those who do not want pay for something that could go unused.
Just a thought

Mike Caldwell

scott fitlin
12-20-2004, 06:59 PM
I wonder if Crown will come out with an amp that has the I Tech guts but without all of the front end DSP processing for those who do not want pay for something that could go unused.
Just a thought

Mike CaldwellCrown says no, that the DSP is part of the amps circuitry! However, they do say you can go into the analog inputs, and basically use the amp as a traditional amp!

For me, many of the features arent neccessary, but the amp does kick! And if you wanted you could do a multitude of things with the amp, limit output voltage, have back up DSP processing, whatever you can think of almost!

I, too, wasnt keen on these amps, and all their digital technology. Then I heard them! Dont like em for mids and things like that, but man, the amp makes subs KICK BIG!

On another forum, they say the CE 4000, with its BCA and switching power supply technology is basically an I Tech without the DSP processing and PFC of the I Tech! I dont know, so I cant really say!

I have to admit, though, I am impressed by the way these things drove subs! Ill probably be getting an I Tech 4000 to run my J Horns!

I also have to say that to date I have always been an extremely anti-digital person, but some of the things they are doing with certain technologies is amazing! I am going to use the new technology! Supposedly, an I Tec 2000 or 3000 is in the works!

What can I say? The Fv#&in bass kicks!

:cool:

Triumph Don
12-20-2004, 11:10 PM
All this is great if you need [want?] a Crown 4000 or other high end Crown amp. I happen to be a [financial] bottom feeder on this site. My 4343's are nasty gray, amps are in a K-Mart "wood grain" pressboard kit. All my cables are from Tom at AuralThrills, he cuts me deals 'cause he feels sorry for my British motorcycle habit. [read all the posts about high $ speaker cables, but IMO upgrade inter conects over stock is easy to hear] I have bought [and sold] several McIntosh, Carver, and Crown thanks to eBay over the last 4 years, and after growing up on the Crowns the Mc's sounded, well, not quite so, well, HARSH. BRIGHT. NASTY! The carvers [as we all now know] are junk. Very fragile, like the Phase Lin stuff [sorry for you young guys] of the past. Anyway my Brand New 250 plus a side Crown non stereophile industrial 400 debateable damping factor CE 1000 will very soon be powering the 15" lows in MY BiAmp System! Thanks to all for your thoughts on my choice, I might hate it and buy an ugly Mc, But... I will let you know! Thanks Again!

transducergeek
12-20-2004, 11:30 PM
Well I have a brand new CE 1000 on the way. Christ, $404 shipped. I have not bought a New amplifer in about 30 years, this will be fun! I mean nothing has to be cleaned, replaced, checked, oh wow! I will let you know how it sounds soon. Thanks Scotty...and all!I am looking forward to your posting the results. I have been tempted to purchase one of those model Crowns also due to the incredible cost now. I can finally afford a NEW crown. I have a D 150A 2. all cleaned up now and I adjusted the DC offset which was way off, pushing my junky old test woofer (not a JBL!) out and staying there!... That's the used market for 'ya. Where are thay selling them for $404? I see 'em for about $30 more..

scott fitlin
12-21-2004, 09:52 AM
All this is great if you need [want?] a Crown 4000 or other high end Crown amp. I happen to be a [financial] bottom feeder on this site. My 4343's are nasty gray, amps are in a K-Mart "wood grain" pressboard kit. All my cables are from Tom at AuralThrills, he cuts me deals 'cause he feels sorry for my British motorcycle habit. [read all the posts about high $ speaker cables, but IMO upgrade inter conects over stock is easy to hear] I have bought [and sold] several McIntosh, Carver, and Crown thanks to eBay over the last 4 years, and after growing up on the Crowns the Mc's sounded, well, not quite so, well, HARSH. BRIGHT. NASTY! The carvers [as we all now know] are junk. Very fragile, like the Phase Lin stuff [sorry for you young guys] of the past. Anyway my Brand New 250 plus a side Crown non stereophile industrial 400 debateable damping factor CE 1000 will very soon be powering the 15" lows in MY BiAmp System! Thanks to all for your thoughts on my choice, I might hate it and buy an ugly Mc, But... I will let you know! Thanks Again!I wasnt putting the CE amps down, they are Crowns affordable entry level amps. They work, and perform well sonically, just that they arent the most rugged of their amps! For low end I think youll like it, the bass is tight and solid! In your application, home hi fi, I dont think reliability, or a road worthy chassis to the utmost is going to be a concern! The CE,s sound good, and of course, the prices are reasonable!

I just got off on a Crown tangent, and started talking Crown amps!