PDA

View Full Version : Altec 1567 with turntable..

oldbrowndog
05-08-2017, 03:23 AM
Hi, I have a pair of Altec A7's and a pair of Altec 1567a tube mixers which i was intending to use in conjunction with a Turntable to complete the picture.

Assuming I will use an MM cartridge (although I would go an MC if it was recommended) how do i setup the 1567s for use with a turntable??

I believe you can do it without using a separate phono preamp, by using the transformers in the 1567.

They currently have 4 x 4722 transformers and 1 x 15095 in each mixer.

thanks.

grumpy
05-08-2017, 07:13 AM
Some version of the Altec 1579 is, I think, the preamp/RIAA, plugin. A vintage-Altec aficionado may know better.

Even if the level transformers had sufficient gain and impedance matching characteristics, you would still require RIAA equalization.

I would add that one could likely do better with an external pre/EQ for vinyl, but that didn't seem to be your emphasis/interest.

oldbrowndog
05-08-2017, 09:14 AM
ah yes, thats what i remembered vaguely.. there is a specific phono transformer ( I guess as you mention it is the altec 1579) that plugs into an octal socket.. I guess i could remove a 4722 and put one in its place.

So i would need 2 of these 1579s is that correct? one for each channel of audio from the turntable..

oldbrowndog
05-08-2017, 09:19 AM
if anyone can specify the difference between the 1579 models (a,b and c) and which is best suited to the applicatlon that would also be helpful.

If an external phono preamp was to be used instead of the 1579 i would assume i could then simply input to one of the 4722 transformer channels?

grumpy
05-08-2017, 09:57 AM
I believe the answer is yes, to your yes/no questions.

Tony Sullivan
05-09-2017, 08:24 PM
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/catalogs/1975-pro.htm

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1975-pro/page21.jpg

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/catalogs/altec-cat.htm

Tony Sullivan
05-09-2017, 08:35 PM
What table? That makes a big difference
If I had what you had I would invest in a decent phono stage and run a Denon DL-103, the standard version, and prepare to be blown away
You have two issues to address-gain and EQ
You can buy a VERY decent phono amp with enough gain and quality to achieve truly high performance with a LO MC for comfortably under $500-don't fall for the flavor of the month crapolla
I would suggest a second hand lehmann black cube-this little box also allows you to pick your loading values as well as plenty of gain for a low low output cartridge like the 103

oldbrowndog
05-10-2017, 06:30 AM
What table? That makes a big difference
If I had what you had I would invest in a decent phono stage and run a Denon DL-103, the standard version, and prepare to be blown away
You have two issues to address-gain and EQ
You can buy a VERY decent phono amp with enough gain and quality to achieve truly high performance with a LO MC for comfortably under $500-don't fall for the flavor of the month crapolla
I would suggest a second hand lehmann black cube-this little box also allows you to pick your loading values as well as plenty of gain for a low low output cartridge like the 103

Hmm, good question.. I have a fairly decent selection of turntables.. Micro Seiki DD-8 might be my choice.. then again I have a garrard 304..
DL-103 sounds like a good option & yes your probably right a stand alone Phono stage would have to be better than the Altec 1579 phono stages right?

Also since the 4722 transformers seem to be so highly prized I guess if i use a separate phono stage i get to go through a 4722 as i plug into each channel at line level as an added bonus..

This lehmann black cube you mention is the black square unit with a separate power supply & has writing on the top, correct?

I had been thinking a really classic Garrard with Moving coil would be a cool way to go with this setup to be honest.

Tony Sullivan
05-10-2017, 07:52 AM
Hmm, good question.. I have a fairly decent selection of turntables.. Micro Seiki DD-8 might be my choice.. then again I have a garrard 304..
DL-103 sounds like a good option & yes your probably right a stand alone Phono stage would have to be better than the Altec 1579 phono stages right?

Also since the 4722 transformers seem to be so highly prized I guess if i use a separate phono stage i get to go through a 4722 as i plug into each channel at line level as an added bonus..

This lehmann black cube you mention is the black square unit with a separate power supply & has writing on the top, correct?

I had been thinking a really classic Garrard with Moving coil would be a cool way to go with this setup to be honest.
You can tailor the gain
Besides sounding damn good that's why I suggest that one in particular
There are many to choose from-I just know that's a very good one and you would be pleased
You will be plugging the signal into a line level input the same as if you were using a CD player or a tuner with your old pre-amps
With the gain on it's higest setting the output is about the same as a Redbook CD machine
I don't know what is or isn't a match with 1960s mono pro stuff-or all the technical details of your Altecs-but I'm fairly certain you will have no issues
The Cube is UNBALANCED though if that's going to be an issue with connections-but the little board is easily accessible-in fact they suggest you solder in your cables
As for tables I should have asked tonearm to be more specific
The DL-103 will do it's Scotch and honey thing best with a heavy tonearm although I do know guys running them on SL-1200s and and loving it
If all of your tonearms are low mass you might consider another cartridge model
Denon does make some really nice sounding HIGH output-HIGH compliance moving coils-like the DL-110-with enough output you can plug them into a MM stage-BUT-I prefer the sound qualities of the 103 and the spherical tip
Life got a lot better once I finally shit canned all the fancy cuts!

P.S.: I am NOT a Denon dealer! I have just learned through trial by fire that if a moving coil, to use everyday, is what you seek, then the best deal in town is a Denon
Build quality, sound quality, frequency response, COST and diamond quality
I have and still do own a number of cartridges that cost a hell of a lot more than a Denon DL-103-but that's the one I'm listening to everyday-from Tupac to George Jones and all destinations in between
The sound is gorgeous
I just hope they don't stop making them-we're sort of at that point in history it seems

oldbrowndog
05-11-2017, 01:04 AM
All good information & many thanks to you sir. I will be doing some buying shortly it appears...never seems to stop.
Just learnt (unbeknownst to my newbie ears) that the Altec 1567a mixers are just that.. a mixer, ie. cant power speakers.
So will need to break out my Altec valve monoblocks (cant recall the model number right now) to actually run my A7's.. jeeez this is getting complicated.

Tony Sullivan
05-11-2017, 05:47 AM
All good information & many thanks to you sir. I will be doing some buying shortly it appears...never seems to stop.
Just learnt (unbeknownst to my newbie ears) that the Altec 1567a mixers are just that.. a mixer, ie. cant power speakers.
So will need to break out my Altec valve monoblocks (cant recall the model number right now) to actually run my A7's.. jeeez this is getting complicated.
I have to ask
How do-can you have this sort of (very nice by the way) stuff and not know how it works or just exactly what it is?
And you said in your first post it was a mixer, which it is, but to be more specific it's a mixer/PRE-AMP
So no, a tube pre isn't going to be powering any speakers

Anyway, on the turntable subject, I don't know what model Garrard that is you say you have-304-or tonearm?-but if your Micro Seiki has the MA-505 tonearm that should be a good match with a DL-103

Good luck with the projects!

Tony Sullivan
05-11-2017, 05:52 AM
By the way-IF this tube stuff has been in long term storage you CANNOT-SHOULD NOT just fire it up
The consequences could be devastating for the equipment, you, or both
Good luck

oldbrowndog
05-12-2017, 05:14 AM
I have to ask
How do-can you have this sort of (very nice by the way) stuff and not know how it works or just exactly what it is?
And you said in your first post it was a mixer, which it is, but to be more specific it's a mixer/PRE-AMP
So no, a tube pre isn't going to be powering any speakers

Anyway, on the turntable subject, I don't know what model Garrard that is you say you have-304-or tonearm?-but if your Micro Seiki has the MA-505 tonearm that should be a good match with a DL-103

Good luck with the projects!

Well call me an audio appreciator.. But one that has little first hand technical knowledge. I know Mcintosh, Altec, Marantz & so on made great stuff back in the days, but I dont know how to fix it and am not electrically engineering skilled whatsoever.. I just like this stuff & want to hear my records on it.
Making that happen is tricky. Ive done lots of buying of various bits and pieces over the past 5 years and am just learning.

my Garrard is a 301 sorry & i recently bought an (in the box) SME 3009 tonearm which im hoping to assemble and use with it.
But yes the micro does have the MA 505 and could be a good compliment..

Tony Sullivan
05-12-2017, 07:02 AM
Well call me an audio appreciator.. But one that has little first hand technical knowledge. I know Mcintosh, Altec, Marantz & so on made great stuff back in the days, but I dont know how to fix it and am not electrically engineering skilled whatsoever.. I just like this stuff & want to hear my records on it.
Making that happen is tricky. Ive done lots of buying of various bits and pieces over the past 5 years and am just learning.

my Garrard is a 301 sorry & i recently bought an (in the box) SME 3009 tonearm which im hoping to assemble and use with it.
But yes the micro does have the MA 505 and could be a good compliment..
It wasn't a shop class quiz-just talking about plugging it in
Not exactly your everyday garden variety stuff to have accumulated not knowing how to connect it-unless you were a working musician or bought out an old studio
That's the only reason I asked
A Garrard 301 and an SME 3009 is just about the table and arm combo the stylist would choose for the DL-103's headshot so you're good to go there
You are definitely hardwared up for a classic Denon DL-103