PDA

View Full Version : Altec 288 driver restoration

jmyres
05-07-2017, 02:36 PM
I recently picked up a pair of 288-16G drivers. The drivers are in nice condition, but the rear covers have a bit of cosmetic wear. I'd like to clean them up, and wanted to get opinions on the best way to go about it without hurting their value.

- Would it be reasonable to refinish the rear covers, assuming I have it professionally done?
- Has anyone safely removed their rear labels (using low-temp on a heat gun) prior to re-painting?
- Is there a color code available for the grey paint used on back covers?

Also, if any of you have spare rear cover gaskets, terminals, or even a clean pair of back covers you'd like to sell, I'd be interested in buying them.

Thanks, Jason

gdmoore28
05-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Those aren't shop-worn enough to need restoration, Jason. For real collectors and avid fans of all things Altec, any kind of repainting or modification hurts the value. I would leave them as is.

GeeDeeEmm

jmyres
05-07-2017, 05:05 PM
Those aren't shop-worn enough to need restoration, Jason. For real collectors and avid fans of all things Altec, any kind of repainting or modification hurts the value. I would leave them as is.

Ok, thanks for the advice. I will leave them alone. I would like to clean off the white paint marks on the pot and the dark sealant/tar on the covers. Would something like Goo Gone be be mild enough, or is there a better alternative?

If anyone has 288 rear cover gaskets or terminals, I would still like to replace those, but I will make sure to hold onto the originals.

gdmoore28
05-08-2017, 08:00 AM
Whatever you find to remove the white paint will remove the tar, too. The white paint is going to be very iffy, since it appears it was deposited during a collision between the driver and something white. Those kind of deposits can be almost impossible to remove without messing up the original finish. You'll just have to try it and see what happens.

GeeDeeEmm

jmyres
05-08-2017, 10:01 AM
I cautiously used some Goo Gone, and found that the exterior paint/ powdercoat on the Altec is actually very tough. The paint came off with some effort, and the tar I had to basically wear off, layer by layer as it dissolved. Removing the marks helped quite a bit. Considering what to do about the scuffs in the rear cap. The paint on the top edge is basically sanded off, from what looks like the driver being stored upside down, and then slid around over the years on a shelf or concrete floor of some sort.

I am considering storing the rear covers for the future, and just finding a spare set I can re-finish and leave on while I use the drivers.

grumpy
05-08-2017, 10:01 AM
blue (not green) scotch brite might help without being too abrasive.