PDA

View Full Version : Alan Parsons still uses his old JBLs

Ed Zeppeli
05-04-2017, 08:58 PM
From a series on studio mixing and mastering he did which is now on youtube. This segment is on monitors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DzDIEMPNWA

Mr. Widget
05-05-2017, 07:31 AM
Thanks Ed, that was fun. More of a B&W ad than a JBL endorsement, but that's OK. I particularly enjoyed his man on the street interviews and comments about audiophiles.

Widget

Tony Sullivan
05-05-2017, 08:50 AM
The brief skim comparison to the acoustic phonograph's horn to the cone of a dynamic loudspeaker are not quite correct
It is the stylus-diaphragm aka the "sound box" or reproducer which "picks up" the vibrations not the "metal horn"
Think a purely mechanical cartridge
The horn, internal or external, didn't do the vibrating rather the amplification
By the time that Victor gained dominance of the phonograph market most of the "horns" were made of wood, did not move and were internal
By 1910 Victor was moving away from external horn machines altogether
These machines were called Victrola(s)-the name most misapplied to all acoustic phonographs-designs and brands-to this day
http://www.victor-victrola.com/Basics%20of%20the%20Acoustic%20Phonograph.htm
Like the way Kleenex is used to refer to a paper handkerchief or "facial tissue"

Ed Zeppeli
05-05-2017, 07:23 PM
Thanks Ed, that was fun. More of a B&W ad than a JBL endorsement, but that's OK. I particularly enjoyed his man on the street interviews and comments about audiophiles.

Widget

Agreed on both counts but there was some 4320 content related to Dark Side Of The Moon so it seemed....relevant. :)

Also agreed on the different takes of hi-fi guys versus the people who actually make the recordings. Food for thought.

Warren

Tony Sullivan
05-05-2017, 08:03 PM
Moves not withstanding, I wonder how those speakers became so beat up?
And what that second network was hooked up to as the holes looked empty-best I could see from the brief glimpse

SEAWOLF97
05-06-2017, 08:12 AM
"Do you know what Mono means" ?

I used to ....

:rotfl:

18:27

DavidF
05-06-2017, 09:19 AM
"Do you know what Mono means" ?

I used to ....

:rotfl:

I do...I had some friends that had it back in the day. They weren't allowed anywhere near the school.

Goldjazz
05-07-2017, 03:34 AM
Interesting, thanks for posting.

Ed Zeppeli
05-07-2017, 06:54 AM
Your welcome. Great pic!