PDA

View Full Version : The Famous Zilch Plug

Tony Sullivan
05-03-2017, 08:31 PM
Would-could someone please provide details of the best fitting example that was ever come up with?
As in best fit?
I know that when Zilch first suggested this he was trimming down a slightly too large a plug for which I cannoy find any of his details-beyond plumber's plug-but I am hoping there's something out on the shelf there that fits even better
What I have found at my local hardware store are expensive, cheaply made AND will require quit a bit of shaving down
Please share if you know of something better
Thanks to all

Don C
05-03-2017, 10:59 PM
If you click on the part numbers at Mcmaster-Carr (https://www.mcmaster.com/#test-pumps-and-plugs/=17h3qww), they show you the actual pipe inside diameter that the plugs will fit into and seal. Wingnut type style A seems to be whats needed.

hjames
05-04-2017, 06:51 AM
Would-could someone please provide details of the best fitting example that was ever come up with?
As in best fit?
I know that when Zilch first suggested this he was trimming down a slightly too large a plug for which I cannoy find any of his details-beyond plumber's plug-but I am hoping there's something out on the shelf there that fits even better
What I have found at my local hardware store are expensive, cheaply made AND will require quit a bit of shaving down
Please share if you know of something better
Thanks to all

Kinda depends on what speaker and thus what port size you are using the plug IN.
I found a pair at Home Depot to plug the additional holes on my L200 cabinets.
I had to crank down on the nut quite a bit to swell the rubber donut to a tight fit in the port I was blocking.
Afterwards, I spray painted the front "washer" face so it would be less visible under the grills.
The L200s were sold a few years back and I don't have easily accessible closeups of the "plugs".

Zilch and I corresponded when I was building my L200s, and he suggested I use plugs in the 2nd set of ports -

Can't you just measure the port size with dial calipers or a ruler and find what plugs fits that range?
Pretty sure that's how I got mine at Home Depot.

Tony Sullivan
05-04-2017, 07:47 AM
Thanks
Sorry I was not clear but I thought it was a historical given
I am plugging the holes on late L100s
I came across his thread regarding fit but now I can't find it