PDA

View Full Version : Great Plains Audio 416-8B vs. GPA 416-8C SOUND?

ictwoody
04-28-2017, 02:55 PM
Hey guys,

I have a pair of Onken's that I'm wanting to get new GPA woofers for. I was pretty set on getting 8B's just cause of the mystique surrounding AlNiCo magnets, but someone has offered me an almost new pair of 416-8C's for a pretty great price. I was wondering if anyone has directly compared the AlNiCo vs. Ferrite magnets in the same speakers? Should I hold out for the B's... or snag a good deal on the C's?

I will be running 802-8D's when I get them put back togeather.

- Woody

Earl K
04-29-2017, 05:11 AM
Sorry, no clue on the difference in sound for these 2 models.

It's a very tough call ( the "B" & "C" have different TS parameters / and no-one seems to actually know which works best in your Onken style cabinet > though I suspect the model with the lower Qts wins ( if the felt blanket is actually in place within your box ) .

( Standard advice ), one advantage with buying from GPA is the buyer knows they are getting a brand new product .

( OTOH ), if the 8C(s) are original, you don't have much to lose since you can always resell them.

Do you know if these 416-8C have their original cones ? ( the cones are stamped with white lettering on the back / both posted pics show original cones )

Do you have any pics of these 8C's ?

:)

ictwoody
04-29-2017, 01:48 PM
Just to be clear. The 416-8C's are ALSO Great Plains Audio. The guy purchased them 2013 and never put them into use. They are essentially new.

So im asking specifically about GPA 416-8C vs. GPA 416-8B's. Sorry... probably should have been more clear.

I hadn't really thought about the T/S param's being different. I guess if one or the other is more appropriate to my Onken 360L boxes, that would definitely be a consideration.

- Woody

Earl K
04-29-2017, 04:33 PM
Some reading material for you ( click the pic ) ;

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachments/multi-way/527408d1453775115-beyond-petite-onken-rideau-de-feutre.jpg (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/285828-beyond-petite-onken.html)

If your Onken doesn't have the felt curtain installed, pay attention to posts #10 & #11.

:)

ictwoody
04-29-2017, 09:47 PM
I bought my Onken's last year from a guy in TX. The boxes are fantastic and the build seemed really great, and it is. These particular speakers didn't have an Altec LF driver. They are using some Parts Express pro woofer and from the get go I've intended to replace it with the correct woof.

Today was the first time I'd opened up the speakers. I was surprised they aren't lined in felt. They have some lightweight batting stuff that kinda feels like crate paper. They also don't have the brace that runs from the front baffle to the back.

Ive decided to move forward on the 416-8C's. The deal is good, and the 8C is the original driver that was used in the A7-500 that my N501-8B networks came from. While I had the speakers open I pulled a network and took a look. Fully rebuilt using Solen and PE caps. Nice job. Here's some pics.

- Woody

ictwoody
04-29-2017, 10:02 PM
And here's a pic of the speakers in case you're curious.

- Woody

srm51555
04-30-2017, 05:48 AM
I always wondered what brand those cabinets were. Those look very nice. Thanks for posting.

gdmoore28
05-01-2017, 10:36 AM
Goodness! Those cabs look very nice, and nicely built, as well.

Out of curiosity, how do they sound presently, with the Parts Express woofers in place? I've been quite pleased with the store-branded speakers I've purchased from them. But the specs indicate that they leave a bit behind due to the disparity between the Altec and PE woofs' efficiency.

Curious to know how the Altec/PE woofs compare side-by-side.

GeeDeeEmm

ictwoody
05-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Goodness! Those cabs look very nice, and nicely built, as well.

Out of curiosity, how do they sound presently, with the Parts Express woofers in place? I've been quite pleased with the store-branded speakers I've purchased from them. But the specs indicate that they leave a bit behind due to the disparity between the Altec and PE woofs' efficiency.

Curious to know how the Altec/PE woofs compare side-by-side.

GeeDeeEmm

They sound quite good actually. But the mental game is getting the best of me know they aren't what was intended. The onken formula is such a known commodity, I'm wondering why the original owner who commissioned the build went this way. Maybe he just got a good deal on the 908-8's and the PE drivers were more reasonable. Who knows... there didn't seem to be much expense spared, so I don't really understand.

They are a simple speaker to experiment with though!

- Woody

gdmoore28
05-07-2017, 03:46 PM
What kind of brackets are being used to hold the horns, Woody?

GeeDeeEmm

ictwoody
05-07-2017, 07:13 PM
What kind of brackets are being used to hold the horns, Woody?GeeDeeEmmThey are these flanges that use like 3/8" all thread... or maybe a little smaller. There are these kinda clevis things that fit pretty nicely on the mounting points of the 511's on the other end. Here's the best pics I have at the moment and a link to the similar flanges on Amazon.

- Woody

American Valve AV301689 3/8-Inch Ceiling Flange https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LUT8LYC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_dc9dzbZ483AEGhttps://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5561/30317917283_7b40324fcf_h.jpg

grumpy
05-08-2017, 07:00 AM
Creative.
Looks nice, as does the pic.

gdmoore28
05-10-2017, 10:01 AM
The builder even went to the trouble of using plastic or metal recessed washers on the panel screws on the back. Now, that's sweating the details! I like those cabinets.

GeeDeeEmm