PDA

View Full Version : PS1400 help

JBLAddict
04-23-2017, 03:51 PM
Hi All,

One of my PS1400's seems to have died. Green lights went out, no response from the driver. I recall members having issues with the plate amps on early makes of this unit. Mine has been performing well for a good 5 years. Is there a possible fuse I could check? Or is there a way to have the amp repaired resonably? Or must I begin the dreaded search for a replacement :( Much thanks, hope everyone is well!

rdgrimes
04-23-2017, 07:51 PM
If any of the boards are damaged it can't be repaired. Lights out might mean a power supply issue. There's a way to identify whether you have the 1st or 2nd generation amp, the 1st gen was more likely to fail. I don't think they made very many of the 2nd generation, but there's reports of some 1st being "updated" to 2nd gen design.

Given all the givens of that model, it might be easier to find a complete sub than just the amp. Although there are a few spare amps floating around too if you can get someone to part with one. I might let a repair shop mess with it, nothing to lose.

JBLAddict
04-23-2017, 11:05 PM
[QUOTE=rdgrimes;404919]If any of the boards are damaged it can't be repaired. Lights out might mean a power supply issue. There's a way to identify whether you have the 1st or 2nd generation amp, the 1st gen was more likely to fail. I don't think they made very many of the 2nd generation, but there's reports of some 1st being "updated" to 2nd gen design.

Given all the givens of that model, it might be easier to find a complete sub than just the amp. Although there are a few spare amps floating around too if you can get someone to part with one. I might let a repair shop mess with it, nothing to lose.[/Q

Thanks. I had some contact with one of many sub-amp repair guys on 'bay who show quite a few repairs to JBL models in their history. Looks like there's a decent success rate bringing them back to life, will ship it out tomorrow and hope for the best. Thanks for your reply, really hope it works out. PS1400 has sure become rare on 'bay compared to a few years ago when they at PT800's were also a dime a dozen. If not, I might either sell it off and go back to my L7, L5, L1 setup, or go whole hog on the Array HT I've been dreaming about since the PS setup :p

RedCoat23
04-24-2017, 12:00 AM
If you get no luck with the amp repair, you could probably get a plate cut to fill the hole with connections to the LE14 and use some kind of dsp-based amp to replicate the function of the original amp if the worst came to the worst. Food for thought anyway...

Titanium Dome
04-25-2017, 09:42 PM
If not, I might either sell it off and go back to my L7, L5, L1 setup, or go whole hog on the Array HT I've been dreaming about since the PS setup :p

What a curious statement!

grumpy
04-26-2017, 08:03 AM
JBLAddict:

If you end up looking for updated PS1400 amp assemblies, I may be able to help. PM.

fast_mick
04-27-2017, 05:26 AM
i have 2 brand new amps for sale
i bought them from mr widget a few years
but my ps1400's got stolen and my pt800's got stolen also

you can pm me if you wish.

JBLAddict
05-06-2017, 06:54 AM

I sent the amp for repair. The guy I'm working with told me it would be extra to "rebuild it and replace 6 more components"

Is this even possible in this condition, not sure what rebuild it means if the board isn't being outright replaced? talking $275 at this point.

Titanium Dome
05-06-2017, 07:11 AM
:eek: Yikes!

grumpy
05-06-2017, 11:49 AM
Sir Dome of Ti, Looks like your updated PS1400 amps may be coming full circle... back to a good home in California ;)

rdgrimes
05-06-2017, 01:14 PM
I sent the amp for repair. The guy I'm working with told me it would be extra to "rebuild it and replace 6 more components"

Is this even possible in this condition, not sure what rebuild it means if the board isn't being outright replaced? talking $275 at this point.

I can see a number of traces on the boards that are fried. Repairing that is a fool's errand.

JBLAddict
05-07-2017, 08:30 PM
I'm back in Performance Series bliss!! Grumpy had not one, but TWO PS1400 amps pulled from TiDome's gear, which I believe were Northridge upgrades. Not only did he sell them to me at a phenom price, but actually drove them to my house and spent a few hours with me installing! Was great catching up. Thundered some Jurassic World today to remind of the PS + HTPS400 power. Here's a couple shots from inside the cabinet if anyone is interested (good suggestion from Grumpy)

grumpy
05-08-2017, 06:50 AM
Ah, the sound of a nicely set up complete Performance Series system :thmbsup:

Thanks for having me over, I enjoyed the time.

Titanium Dome
05-08-2017, 10:37 AM
I'm back in Performance Series bliss!! Grumpy had not one, but TWO PS1400 amps pulled from TiDome's gear, which I believe were Northridge upgrades.

Not only Northridge upgrades, but upgrades arranged by Greg Timbers. He was very gracious in arranging and monitoring the process. This was back in the days when Northridge was still a going concern and production and repairs and development and testing were all part of the Northridge experience. Greg knew the people front to back and had the right relationships to get things like this done.

:thmbsup:

JBLAddict
05-09-2017, 06:22 AM
Not only Northridge upgrades, but upgrades arranged by Greg Timbers. He was very gracious in arranging and monitoring the process. This was back in the days when Northridge was still a going concern and production and repairs and development and testing were all part of the Northridge experience. Greg knew the people front to back and had the right relationships to get things like this done.

:thmbsup:
Beautiful! Even better to know they were from the master himself!! :bouncy:

Glad they can stay in the LH family so to speak. I only installed on the broken unit and the green indicator lights are much brighter than the other sub, should I change out the other sub? Does the light in anyway indicate better power supply?

Titanium Dome
05-09-2017, 06:56 AM
Beautiful! Even better to know they were from the master himself!! :bouncy:

Glad they can stay in the LH family so to speak. I only installed on the broken unit and the green indicator lights are much brighter than the other sub, should I change out the other sub? Does the light in anyway indicate better power supply?

The indicator lights were the same on all four of my PS1400 units, so I can't give a useful answer.

grumpy
05-09-2017, 09:57 AM
...the green indicator lights are much brighter than the other sub, should I change out the other sub? Does the light in anyway indicate better power supply?

If it makes you feel better, sure. :) (it would me... besides, then both units are up to date)

Unlikely, unless they dim when a large audio transient occurs.