PDA

View Full Version : Type 4502 Enclosures

Senshi
04-14-2017, 05:30 AM
Hello, brand new to this site and looking for any assistance that y'all may be able to provide on quality and approximate value range ($) for these speakers and cabinets.
These speakers have been sitting in climate controlled area for over 25 years. They worked well and sounded very clean back in the day.
Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks, Kim

robertg
04-14-2017, 05:48 AM
I sold a grey pair this spring for $800.00 CDN. Sadly you might get more if you part them out on eBay. Your woofer looks a little funny to me. Is it original?

Senshi
04-14-2017, 06:06 AM
Thanks for your response & info, yes all original.

hjames
04-14-2017, 08:43 AM
Do you have a pair of them, or just the one cabinet?
One is problematic, having a pair adds value ...

Looks like a JBL 4320 I had long ago ... (old 2-way studio monitor)
Probably a 15 inch woofer and LE85 Horn/compression Driver with a lens -
but your woofer looks "funny" - no ribs and has some kind of shininess - has it been treated with anything?

here is a glance at my old pair as I was upgrading them to 3 ways ...
the lens was off the center horn while I worked -
and you can see the 2405 Slot-tweeter In installed to the left of the horn.
Later on, I moved my parts into a pair of L200 cabinets as I thought they just looked better in my home

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=14714&stc=1&d=1144533106

There is also this C50SM image I found in the library section of the Lansing site -
Notice its just the enclosure, with the same overhangs on top and bottom lip -
but different speaker and crossover loads were available.
Mine and your cabinets had the walnut finish,
but there was also an industrial grey/silver cloth grill design listed here ...

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1964/page36.jpg

nedseg
04-14-2017, 08:43 AM
See
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?37495-Please-identify-these-speakers-Type-4502-Enclosure

But they look just like L200s (unmodified), but the woofers do look odd, maybe not the original LE15(B)s?
Would need a better picture to be sure.

Senshi
04-15-2017, 10:28 AM
I have pair, grills are in rough shape. I got these over 35 years ago and I thought the woofers were original, but who knows. They do have ribs, not sure why it did not come out in photo?

Do you have a pair of them, or just the one cabinet?
One is problematic, having a pair adds value ...

Looks like a JBL 4320 I had long ago ... (old 2-way studio monitor)
Probably a 15 inch woofer and LE85 Horn/compression Driver with a lens -
but your woofer looks "funny" - no ribs and has some kind of shininess - has it been treated with anything?

here is a glance at my old pair as I was upgrading them to 3 ways ...
the lens was off the center horn while I worked -
and you can see the 2405 Slot-tweeter In installed to the left of the horn.
Later on, I moved my parts into a pair of L200 cabinets as I thought they just looked better in my home

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=14714&stc=1&d=1144533106

There is also this C50SM image I found in the library section of the Lansing site -
Notice its just the enclosure, with the same overhangs on top and bottom lip -
but different speaker and crossover loads were available.
Mine and your cabinets had the walnut finish,
but there was also an industrial grey/silver cloth grill design listed here ...

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1964/page36.jpg

Mr. Widget
04-15-2017, 10:53 AM
That woofer definitely doesn't look like any JBL I recognize. It could be a JBL frame with an aftermarket cone kit. It's really hard to tell without more and better pictures. If getting the highest price for your speakers is your goal, I think you will need to part them out and cross your fingers.

Widget

hsosdrum
04-17-2017, 12:20 PM
Yeah, that woofer looks to have a plastic cone with an inverted dust cap and large-roll surround, characteristics that point to it perhaps being an aftermarket car-audio subwoofer that someone substituted for the JBL original.

mech986
08-29-2017, 12:49 AM
Yeah, that woofer looks to have a plastic cone with an inverted dust cap and large-roll surround, characteristics that point to it perhaps being an aftermarket car-audio subwoofer that someone substituted for the JBL original.

agree, although I've seen a few SEAS woofers (13" though) that had a similar appearance and were for home audio applications. Clearly, the frames on the woofers are stamped steel rather than cast aluminum thick frames as evident on the pics of the JBL woofers in the thread. If the OP is still around, pulling the woofers out and taking pics for us will reveal easily that they are not the vintage JBL woofers that should be in there. Maybe at best, some newer JBL woofers maybe used in some of the large home subwoofers like the sub1500 types, but not likely set up to match the enclosure. As for them being 35 year old woofers, well not likely JBL then, IMO.