PDA

View Full Version : Shipping assistance for L300 cabinets

mech986
12-13-2004, 06:15 PM
Hi,

I've got my eye on a sale of some used JBL L300 Cabinets, which as you may know, are big, bulky but really nice design. They are a bit dinged and scuffed and have no components in them except the glass tops. If I got them, I'd like to know if there might be someone from the Santa Clara/Bay area who might be able to bring them down here to Southern California (La Habra). I could certainly pay for the gas and trouble to bring them down or even trade services for some vintage stuff (negotiable). The seller can get them boxed up but I'm worried about the potential for real freakin' damage through a shipper and the potential cost.

So if you're headin' my way, let me know if you can help. Since the sale ends tonight at 8 pm PST, email back quickly! Thanks a bunch.

Regards,

Bart

Triumph Don
12-13-2004, 08:14 PM
Can't you just rent a van and go pick them up?

majick47
12-13-2004, 10:49 PM
Rent a van (mini van), thats what I did to pick up my L200b cabinets in upstate NY. Returned back to Boston without getting a scratch on the cabinets. Might not of saved anything on the cost of shipping but I would make sure they were protected from damage.

mech986
12-14-2004, 01:45 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I own 2 minivans (1 is a Toyota Sienna/IMS Rampvan handicap conversion for my 13 y/o daughter and the other one is with my son while at college). I had considered taking the Rampvan for the 12-14 hour roundtrip :scoot: but figured it might not work for my wife and daughter. Unfortunately, the cabinets would not fit into my other 2 cars (not minivans). At another vintage audio site, we have posted some requests (our pony express, so to speak) that if someone was heading that way, could they help out? Incurred costs were not really an issue, it's just not fun to place unique cabinets like that in the hands of a shipping carrier. In a number of instances, some guys were able to provide some help, prevent potential shipping damage, and get to meet up with the face/person behind the avatar/nickname for some tunes and brews
:rockon1: :cheers: :wave:

There was no specific expectation in my post, just an inquiry and request. As it was, I didn't win the auction so the request is now moot. Shoulda bid more than $206 for a pair of L300 cabinets anyway, there were only 3 bidders and they went for $225 to a guy who has amassed the L300 components recently. Ironic that someone else parts out an L300 only for another to put one back together with those parts. My intent was to take parts from my 4333A's and remake them into another pair of L300's. A bit more attractive than the sort of industrial look walnut cabs of the 4333A's.

Well, I'll just have to look for another set closer to home. :D

Regards,

bart