PDA

View Full Version : 476be

Brian DK
03-13-2017, 01:08 PM
Do any of you know if this driver is sensitive to DC from a amp via active X-over?

I am thinking og conecting a small SET Tube amp Direct to the driver,
something like in the M2.

Do you Think the driver can handel it? :)

JeffW
03-13-2017, 01:24 PM
I thought the output transformer isolated the speaker from DC in a SET amp, but in case it didn't I wouldn't want to subject the voice coil on a very expensive/impossible to get parts for driver to any DC if I could help it.

Brian DK
03-13-2017, 01:39 PM
I thought the output transformer isolated the speaker from DC in a SET amp, but in case it didn't I wouldn't want to subject the voice coil on a very expensive/impossible to get parts for driver to any DC if I could help it.

I have No idea.
but if a SET amp isolate the dc from the speaker.?
then it maybe could work ? :):)

Hoerninger
03-13-2017, 01:40 PM
NO RISK, NO FUN?
A compression driver, most often a costly product, I would always use with a protection capacitor -best in a charge coupled version .

Brian DK
03-13-2017, 01:48 PM
NO RISK, NO FUN?
A compression driver, most often a costly product, I would always use with a protection capacitor -best in a charge coupled version .

Is there a protection capacitor in the Jbl M2?

Hoerninger
03-13-2017, 01:51 PM
I don't know, but i would insert it.

Brian DK
03-13-2017, 01:58 PM
I don't know, but i would insert it.

Probable a good idea :-)

hsosdrum
03-13-2017, 02:30 PM

Yes.

pos
03-13-2017, 02:53 PM
hsosdrum, there is a typo in this technical manual: the 33.3uF cap should read 3.3uF.
Maybe you still have the contacts at JBL Pro to make them correct this?

Robh3606
03-13-2017, 04:51 PM
Always use a protection cap or risk a very expensive accident, all pro cabinets use them and always have just take a look at the schematics.

Rob:)

hsosdrum
03-16-2017, 01:33 PM
hsosdrum, there is a typo in this technical manual: the 33.3uF cap should read 3.3uF.
Maybe you still have the contacts at JBL Pro to make them correct this?

I'll see what I can do. I know a couple of folks who are still there.

SteveJewels
03-16-2017, 02:34 PM

SET amplifiers have a transformer coupled output.

It is not possible to couple DC through a transformer.

speakerdave
03-17-2017, 06:35 PM
Yeah, but other stuff can happen.

This question comes up with some regularity. You choose the value of your protection capacitor to operate two octaves below your crossover frequency. Guidance to this process can be found in the manual for the 5235.

ivica
03-19-2017, 08:04 AM
Do any of you know if this driver is sensitive to DC from a amp via active X-over?

I am thinking og conecting a small SET Tube amp Direct to the driver,
something like in the M2.

Hi Brian,

I would suggest in any okasion to apply protective capacitor to protect CD driver, not only from DC, but any other LF frequency, something about 47uF or less
Regards
Ivica