PDA

View Full Version : JBL PRX 635 stuck XLR cable

KTUH
03-01-2017, 07:23 PM
Hi folks,

I have a pair of JBL speakers, model PRX635 and one of them has an XLR cable stuck in it. The main issue is that the push tab needed to release the cable has broken off so the cable cannot be removed. The speaker operates normally but if the XLR cable wears out then that will effectively render the speaker useless.

I'm hoping someone here can provide some info on how I can repair this myself...how to release the cable and hopefully replace the input with a new part. Is this a part that is replaceable?
The speakers are for our college radio station and I don't want to just start opening stuff up unnecessarily and risk breaking anything further. I'm also trying to avoid buying a new speaker since we are a public university radio station and as such our budget is limited.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Joe

Don C
03-01-2017, 08:46 PM
It looks like we can see the remains of the locking tab right there above the connector. Did you try pushing on that with a jewler's screwdriver or something similar?

grumpy
03-01-2017, 09:16 PM
Looks like a circuit board mounted connector:

http://reconingspeakers.com/product/jbl-prx612-prx615-input-module-444744-002/#prettyPhoto

Ed Zeppeli
03-01-2017, 10:51 PM
If you don't get the help you need here you may want to duplicate your question over at...

http://www.prosoundweb.com/forums

It's a pro audio forum that's fairly JBL-centric. I'm sure someone will fix you up if we don't beat them to it here.

gdmoore28
03-02-2017, 02:28 PM
I've run into this a few times over the years, and have always managed - as Don pointed out - to use a small screwdriver to press down on the remainder of the tab. If that does not work, there should be a very small set screw retaining the main cover. The screw is most often a simple straight head, but sometimes it's a phillips head. Once that screw is removed, the connector cover should slide straight back, revealing the locking tab and allowing you to release it.

Once you have cable freed, just replace the defective XLR connector with a new one. Note which colored wires are connected to the numbered pins on the old connector before you de-solder them, then re-solder them to the same numbers on the new connector. If you are not familiar with the process (super simple!), there are a number of YouTube videos showing how to do the repair, such as this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCEgEeR3eCs

Let us know if there are any questions.

GeeDeeEmm

grumpy
03-02-2017, 06:14 PM
Good info about getting the cable off.
The rest was... well intended. :)

See post showing board-mounted connector.

Getting the correct replacement connector and unsoldering/soldering
it without messing up the board is not a normal DIY task.

I'd suggest getting the cable off then removing what's left of the retention tab
(or snipping off the edge of the cable connector so there is no locking retention possible...
and only use that cable).

Otherwise, $142 + shipping and some screwdriver time nets a permanent/proper repair.

KTUH
03-02-2017, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the help! I'll update when the repair is made.

Aloha,
KTUH

gdmoore28
03-04-2017, 12:53 PM
Good info about getting the cable off.
The rest was... well intended. :)

See post showing board-mounted connector.

Getting the correct replacement connector and unsoldering/soldering
it without messing up the board is not a normal DIY task.

OOPS! Thanks for catching my mistake, Grump: the release tab (the real problem here) is on the chassis-mount FEMALE connector, not on the cable-mounted MALE connector. At first, I didn't understand why you kept referring to the board-mounted connector.

Having spent twenty-plus years in ProSound, and having assembled hundreds of special cables for installations, this should have been obvious to me - but not this time! The ravages of old age just keep creeping in closer and closer!

GeeDeeEmm

grumpy
03-04-2017, 03:20 PM
Lol. No worries here. We were all just trying to help point to a fix :)