PDA

View Full Version : JBL 2441 Throat Diameter

Jim Hodgson
02-26-2017, 11:54 AM
Apologies in advance for what might be a ridiculously tedious question...

JBL product literature (http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2441.pdf) gives the throat diameter of the 2441 as:

"49mm 2in"

The fact is, however, that 49mm is significantly shy of 2" (it's 1-59/64" ... so more than 1/16" but less than 1/8" narrower). I've seen this issue come up before in other threads (and on other forums), and it appears that the 2441's throat diameter is really closer to 49mm. Perhaps to allow for some manufacturing tolerances in mating to 2" throat horns?

My question is this: will the 2441 be compatible, throat-wise, with a horn that was originally set up for the TAD TD-4001, with its 49.2mm / 1-15/16" throat diameter? Or would I be cutting it too close? The throat of these horns has been measured and is exactly 1-15/16". My drivers (which are stuck in storage at the moment) have not been measured, however. I'm hoping that someone here who knows the 2441 can shed some light on mating them to various non-JBL horns?

Again, my apologies ... I know this is tedious. But, depending on tolerances, this may mean the difference between compatibility and incompatibility.

THANKS!