PDA

View Full Version : JBL LoudspeaKer Demo Album from 1973

shaansloan
02-15-2017, 10:32 AM
LH members... I came across this JBL Loudspeaker demo album.... kinda cool. Has anyone seen this? Know anything about it? Can we... should we put this in the archives somehow? Thanks Shaan

Ed Zeppeli
02-15-2017, 10:56 AM
There's been some discussion of it here previously but I don't believe it was every successfully uploaded/ripped.

Can you rip it to flac and link to it?

Regards,

Warren

hjames
02-15-2017, 12:12 PM
There are FLAC files from the album, and the images in PDF ...
- the question is who wants to host it in perpetuity -
I don't have the bandwidth to offer to do so,
and it needs to be a permanent place and not a temp share folder.

Ed Zeppeli
02-15-2017, 12:37 PM
There are FLAC files from the album, and the images in PDF ...
- the question is who wants to host it in perpetuity -
I don't have the bandwidth to offer to do so,
and it needs to be a permanent place and not a temp share folder.

Thanks Heather. My recollection of that last thread was that it hadn't been resolved.

How big (collectively) are the files? Too big to be hosted here?

Regards,

Warren

SEAWOLF97
02-15-2017, 01:39 PM
Flac ?

I've had these 2 albums since the 70's. Lots of studio chatter, sweeps and ID instruments.

Interesting ? sure, but not worth a second listen.

The only thing I recorded from "Sessions" was Hoyt Axton's "Joy to the World"

YMMV

JeffW
02-15-2017, 01:45 PM
Flac ?

I've had these 2 albums since the 70's. Lots of studio chatter, sweeps and ID instruments.

I was wondering if I was remembering the right thing, I seem to recall things like "This is a 50Hz tone, if you can hear this, your speakers are capable of reproducing 50Hz", stuff like that.

I've got a bunch of test records around here someplace - finding them might be a challenge.

hjames
02-15-2017, 02:36 PM
Thanks Heather. My recollection of that last thread was that it hadn't been resolved.

How big (collectively) are the files? Too big to be hosted here?

Regards,

Warren
The goal was to duplicate the discs Drew Daniel created in some "CD Authoring Suite".
I was unable to do bit-exact clones of the disc -
But the FLAC files WERE ripped from the disc.

The Sessions Album Art is a 27 meg PDF, sadly, too big to upload here

Each disc is around 200 Megs total ...
screen cap of the directory details for (CD) disc 1 and Disc 2

Doesn't appear I can upload ANY FLAC file to the website here -
(maybe a forbidden file type of some kind - liability issues perhaps)
I tried to upload Joy To The World but it never loaded ...

hjames
02-15-2017, 03:05 PM
LH members... I came across this JBL Loudspeaker demo album.... kinda cool. Has anyone seen this?
Know anything about it? Can we... should we put this in the archives somehow? Thanks Shaan

There is a thread discussing this album in great details, and the specifics of how the late Drew Daniels took the recordings into the studio and digitized them ...

Read Doctor Electron's thread here -
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?34480-Dream-or-nightmare-quot-jbl-sessions-quot-tracks-can-we-use-them&highlight=Sessions

JeffW
02-15-2017, 03:44 PM
Doesn't appear I can upload ANY FLAC file to the website here -
(maybe a forbidden file type of some kind - liability issues perhaps)
I tried to upload Joy To The World but it never loaded ...

Can you zip it? Sometimes a zip file can get past the file extension restrictions.

hjames
02-15-2017, 07:37 PM
Can you zip it? Sometimes a zip file can get past the file extension restrictions.

Lets see -

Nope - it worked the file for a while but ultimately, it did not upload it.

Ed Zeppeli
02-15-2017, 11:35 PM
Have you considered the cloud? Lots of free accounts out there. Box.net Google Drive etc...

SEAWOLF97
03-01-2017, 05:56 PM
picked this one up today ;)

Doctor_Electron
03-01-2017, 11:35 PM
Seawolf, how does the Altec LP sound? In good condition?

If it is the same album as I used to have, the Rick Wakeman track sounded awesome.

-D_E-

toddalin
03-02-2017, 11:32 AM
I also have the Sessions album from new. They used to give them out free at the JBL listening sessions back in the '70s. Bose also used to do these listening sessions.

I also have the JBL 45 RPM, ENJOY YOURSELF MALIBU recorded by Silvery Moon Studios in Los Angeles.

SEAWOLF97
03-05-2017, 12:42 PM

If it is the same album as I used to have, the Rick Wakeman track sounded awesome.

-D_E-

Album in fine shape. RW sounded good, just not my normal stuff.

toddalin
03-05-2017, 01:10 PM

-D_E-

They get Rick Wakeman and we get Hoyt Axton?

Maybe I've been in the wrong camp. Maybe Captain America can just keep his old superball.

BillWojo
03-14-2017, 08:40 PM
I've got that same Altec album on it's way to me now. Looks like a lot of good music on there. Picked up a cool Altec T-Shirt off the bay last week for 5 bucks. About 2 months ago I picked up an Altec slide rule calculator used by sound engineers. Lots of cool stuff out there if you keep your eyes open.

BillWojo

srm51555
03-15-2017, 06:19 AM
I've got that same Altec album on it's way to me now. Looks like a lot of good music on there. Picked up a cool Altec T-Shirt off the bay last week for 5 bucks. About 2 months ago I picked up an Altec slide rule calculator used by sound engineers. Lots of cool stuff out there if you keep your eyes open.

BillWojo

Nice, welcome to the forum!