PDA

View Full Version : How to build L-300 Grilles?

gsb001
02-11-2017, 08:55 AM
How to build L-300 Grilles?

Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to make reproduction L-300 grilles, that I can offer in all the different and available fabric colors.

I need help figuring out how to build L-300 grilles. I made a deal with an LH member in exchange for an original pair of frames to use as a reference and help in the reverse engineering, that includes building out replacements.

The grille measures 3 1/4 inches deep, almost 30 inches high and 23 inches wide. It's a large frame.

Sourcing the materials is pretty straight forward.

I specifically need help with the edges and corners. The frames are made with two levels, angled at 7 degrees over a 3 inch height, with rounded and angled corners. Tricky to say the least.

I think the factory might have originally built the frames using 90 degree stock, and then when the frame was built out, one of the last steps was a process that would cut the top and sides at the angle and round the corners, using a router or shaping table.

Or, after the frames were built, maybe a combination of table saw with at least a 12 inch blade for the top and side angles, and then a shaping or router table for the corners. The table would need to be angled or a template to angle the frame would have to be designed for the correct corner radius.

I'm prepared to make templates for repeat ability and consistency to build dozens of frames. I can't get me head around the process and tools needed to get to the template design phase.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, ideas and comments.
SB
HuntleyAudio.com
[email protected]

tjm001
02-15-2017, 06:27 AM
You're right. The corners are tricky. I'll email you. These are the ones I made from scratch last year.

Tom76011