PDA

View Full Version : JBL disintegrated vent foam

THalse
02-10-2017, 06:29 PM
The foam that covers the screen vent on my E-140 had broken away from the screen and risked flaking into the coil gap. I found an easy fix by suspending the speaker between 2 tables (magnet facing down). I then lay on my back and used a vacuum cleaner to suck the disintegrating foam through the screen. The foam was relatively easily sucked through the screen using this method. I've read other sites where a user removed the speaker label and screen with a metal ruler - this proved to be a much tougher job and more time-consuming job than he expected. The method I used proved to be simple, took all of 5 minutes and worked a treat - no rocket science involved and now the speaker is singing.

srm51555
02-10-2017, 09:25 PM
Nice, thanks for sharing

Earl K
02-11-2017, 07:02 AM
Yes, thanks for that .

The vacuum=cleaner method has always concerned me ( haven't tried it though ).

I was afraid of imploding/collapsing the dust-cap.

So the disintegrating foam actually made it past that outer metal mesh? That's good to know.

:)

THalse
02-13-2017, 06:50 AM
Yes, thanks for that .

The vacuum=cleaner method has always concerned me ( haven't tried it though ).

I was afraid of imploding/collapsing the dust-cap.

So the disintegrating foam actually made it past that outer metal mesh? That's good to know.

:)

Yes, I'm also surprised at how easily the disintegrating foam broke up and sucked through the screen. The dust cap is a fair distance from the screen so the vacuum cleaner didn't trouble the dust cap at all. I'd say go carefully, with the vacuum sucker on an angle to the screen at first, and adjust the angle to be more flush with the screen as you need to.
I'm very pleased with the way the speaker is operating now and it's sure nice to have the peace of mind that a piece of foam isn't working its way into the voice coil gap.