PDA

View Full Version : LE10H foam glued to the front of cone

Chevelle
01-29-2017, 05:36 AM
I bought a pair of 4313B with new foam on the LE10H woofers. But instead of being glued to the backside of the cone they are glued to the front. Is there any sonic difference ? I think that the spider is so stiff that the voicecoil is still correct in the gap.

Hjalmar

Chevelle
01-29-2017, 06:50 AM
here a photo

BMWCCA
01-29-2017, 08:23 AM
Logic might suggest that the excursion of the cone is now set a millimeter-or-two further back into the basket or motor. Could be that the cone will meet the limit of excursion toward the back too easily, or that the pre-load forces of the surround might negatively impact the forward movement of the cone. My uneducated guess is that it may negatively affect the total excursion of the cone under extreme conditions. Under normal conditions, the reality may be that it is only an aesthetic issue and will remain a lifetime reminder of the laziness or ignorance of the person handling the repair.

How does it sound?

Chevelle
01-29-2017, 09:10 AM
The 4313B sound very good, but I can only compare them to my 4343. Very clean and tight bass. As I understand the spider is keeping the voicecoil centered and in the correct position in the gap. The foam is too soft to alter the high of the coil, it only helps keeping the cone centered.

Hjalmar

Audiobeer
01-29-2017, 01:14 PM
It's more of an "Fit and finish thing". You can always refoam but it's not going to damage your driver or effect the sound that's discernible. I love the 4313Bs. They are the best near field monitors I've owned.

Malefoda
01-31-2017, 03:49 PM
Man you opened 2 thread... Btw, welcome to the european 4313B club ;) maybe your 066 are more out of spec than your LE10H!

LRBacon
02-02-2017, 02:31 PM
Way back in the early 90's my original L110 woofers' foam surrounds fell apart. Simply Speakers, at the time, was the only outfit I found that offered a pair of new aftermarket foam surrounds. They didn't supply any adhesive and their directions said it was OK to attach the surround to the front of the cone even though the OEM surrounds were attached to the back side. For the adhesive they said to use contact cement. Fortunately I was able to attach the new ones using contact cement and have voice coil centered so it did not rub. They played fine but looked funny with the surround on the front side of the cone. I doubt you will have a problem with them since any aftermarket surrounds I have come across are not as compliant as the OEM surrounds.

Larry

badman
02-02-2017, 05:33 PM
The spider provides a much stiffer restoring force in the Z dimension (excursion line), the surround Z compliance is very high near rest position. IOW, there could be a very slight performance difference at extreme excursions, but under any healthy use, it's a cosmetic issue only. The surround compliance during appropriate use is more important in controlling rocking modes, and in that respect, it's irrelevant whether it's mounted back or front.